The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

BOSS TR6060 (2013-2014 GT500) or MAGNUM XL conversion?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I know the subject has been discussed but now that we should have a mature view about what is best for the "old" BOSS what is your view?
And what about the ratio knowing its an LS with 3.73 rear axle...

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Wrestled with the same thought many times. After I busted two MT82 gear boxes I was almost at the point of getting a magnum XL but the long gear ratios where holding me back. When my third MT82 packed it in I wanted to wait for the new box from the GT350, I had a older MGW shifter and the Blowfish bracket was great but the tranny was already compromised before I installed it..

Being a little short of cash, I went out into the great unknown and ordered rebuilt tranny from Ben Calimer. Am very happy I did. Really love the gear box now and shifting into 5th at the track is now comfortable and solid. Before I would wince and hope to hell it went in alright. If the Magnum XL had the close gears that the MT82 has I would have changed long time ago, but very happy the way things worked out. Now installing a second Calimer MT82 in a automatic swap for a tracked GT.

Looks like quite a few people are now rebuilding stronger MT82's.

I went down the "stronger" MT-82 route and blew third gear twice in a year. The transmission had all of the other mods discussed on the board to include Blowfish shifter bracket, MGW, RXT Clutch, one piece driveshaft, and braided clutch line.

My personal opinion is that if you are going to pay to rebuild the MT-82, replace the clutch, shifter, shifter bracket, etcetera, bite the bullet now and install either the XL or the 6060.

The Shelby 6060 and the XL transmission have similar gearing. You will probably decide you want a steeper gear than the 3.73 (i.e. 4.11, 4.30, or 4.56). I run a 4:56 with my XL and the overall gearing is a big improvement over the factory MT-82 and 3.73 for road course use.

The 6060 is a little more plug and play than the XL in terms of wiring and PCM signal(s). But, the 6060 still has a remote shifter mount.

2012-Boss said:
I went down the "stronger" MT-82 route and blew third gear twice in a year. The transmission had all of the other mods discussed on the board to include Blowfish shifter bracket, MGW, RXT Clutch, one piece driveshaft, and braided clutch line.

My personal opinion is that if you are going to pay to rebuild the MT-82, replace the clutch, shifter, shifter bracket, etcetera, bite the bullet now and install either the XL or the 6060.

The Shelby 6060 and the XL transmission have similar gearing. You will probably decide you want a steeper gear than the 3.73 (i.e. 4.11, 4.30, or 4.56). I run a 4:56 with my XL and the overall gearing is a big improvement over the factory MT-82 and 3.73 for road course use.

The 6060 is a little more plug and play than the XL in terms of wiring and PCM signal(s). But, the 6060 still has a remote shifter mount.

I think the RXT might have been your problem as many people have had issues like that since the RXT grabs HARD!

Sean said:
I think the RXT might have been your problem as many people have had issues like that since the RXT grabs HARD!

The RXT was not the problem. The transmission broke both times on a downshift, not upshift. It also showed extensive bluing (heat) on third and fourth gears.

Thank you for your input.
I am going the TR6060 route but with the 13-14 GT500 model (better gearing and stronger output shaft).
I never had issues with the remote shifter style (and had five S197 in total).
I only had clutch related issues...
I will stay away from dual a discs clutch as I dislike the `"too radical" one I currently have.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Looking forward to hearing your impressions on the swap! I too don't like the idea of a twin disc. Seems odd to me too put a lightened flywheel on and then add rotational mas in a twin disc clutch.

Not a weight issue on my side but an on-off style of clutch that I just dont like...
i drive the car to and from the track so I dont want it to be a painful experience.
It must be part of the fun! Especially knowing it's through a mountain chain :)

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
patrickshelby said:
Not a weight issue on my side but an on-off style of clutch that I just dont like...

Agree. The twin disc grabs a bit more. I live in farm country. Stop and go is not a concern.

Sure cured the last problems with shifting the MT-82 for me.

We went with the TR6060 swap in my car.

One piece driveshaft, and 4.10 rear gears ('13-'14 GT500 sourced TR6060)

Super happy with the way the car drives now.

I got the blowfish bracket, which essentially takes the TR6060 remote mount shifter and fixes it, like it does for the MT82.

Cost was a good savings over the magnumXL and I have a nice strong transmission that is performing well on street and track.

No speedo correction boxes required, all the change was able to be done in my tune.

I do not have a functioning cruise control at present, however.

patrickshelby said:
Hi Surfergeek,
Did you have to go to 4.10 or would 3.73 do?
What clutch do you have with it?

4.10 or 3.73 is personal preference. I do lots of road course HPDE events and because of the ratios in '13-'14 GT500 6060 opted for the 4.10.

When using calculators taking into account how I want to drive it, tire size, ratios, etc... The 4.10 got me where I wanted to be. Even with the blower and 610WHP it works, but we have put a lot in the suspension to make it work.

I think you would be fine with your 3.73 if you want to keep them. Just try it, if you don't like it change the rear end gears later. I had 3.31 before and the car would have felt really lazy with 6060 and 3.31 gears.

As for my clutch I have a RAM dual disc. I kept the same clutch as my MT-82, I just had to have RAM re-shim the discs for the different spline count.

Well... the story ends here.
I contacted KohR Motorsports (Rehagen Racing /Dean Martin) to buy the brand new TR6060 (2013 GT500 model) they had for sale and had agreed on shipping cost overseas etc. and asked for an additional kit of parts - and just when I was to receive the total to wire the money; no answers anymore.
None since then - although I made some further attempts.
And the TR6060 is not for sale anymore.
OK
But a strange way to deal with customers.
I was already questionning myself about going further with the Boss as a track car; this story is my answer I guess.
Maybe a good thing after all.

I thought about it and yes you are absolutely right; they must be quite busy - but its more than a month with no reply whatsoever.
I am sure keeping up both as drivers team managers and shop owner isn't easy but a note saying back to you in a month or so would not hurt.

TMO Supporting Vendors