The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss track review plus M3 beating

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I like motorcycle magazines for testing head's-up compared to car rags. I know a lot of the guys who write for U.S. bike mags, and a lot of 'em being racers, they understand how important TIRES are to a test. So you know what they do..? They freaking install the SAME TIRES ON BOTH BIKES! In this 'article' the dude just mentions they had an 'M3 sitting over there'(or words to that effect). We're to assume he kept the stock Pirelli's on the Boss, 'cuz he didn't mention otherwise, but what was on the M3? Since it was at the track, did it have track tires on it? In the case of EITHER car, what kind of shape were the tires in? If you ran two Boss's against each other, and one had even just DOT 'track' tires(ala Toyo R888's), and the other had the stock Pirelli's-BOTH SETS BEING NEW-, the one with the 'track' tires would EASILY be 2-seconds a lap faster. Once you start putting miles, heat-cycles, or laps on either tire(s), anybody's guess is as good as any other's...
In the case of the 'article' in question, the 'writer' makes 'point blank' statements as to how fast the Mustang is around the track, and how much faster it was than the other cars. IMO he wasted everyone's time who read the article, because he didn't ensure it was the CAR(s) that were responsible for the lap times they ran, and NOT the tires they were running. ;)

98RedGT

2012 #552
I know it's one guys opinion but with a statement like this "Mustang Boss 302 is one of the best sports cars the world has ever seen." from the author of this article it puts a big smile on this Mustang fan :)

A far as the tires go, you are correct, there is a huge difference with different tires. I believe though, he said that both cars were stock, assuming that goes for the tires. There are differences in tires, even street tire to street tire. And, I didnt see what tires are on the M3 but I doubt they are anything except good tires. The M3 was the benchmark for Ford, rest assured, they knew the Boss would beat the M3 before it was released

svttim said:
A far as the tires go, you are correct, there is a huge difference with different tires. I believe though, he said that both cars were stock, assuming that goes for the tires. There are differences in tires, even street tire to street tire. And, I didnt see what tires are on the M3 but I doubt they are anything except good tires. The M3 was the benchmark for Ford, rest assured, they knew the Boss would beat the M3 before it was released
Ditto!

TMO Supporting Vendors