The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss Trackey/Track Attack Info

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I think the Boss is nothing more then a marketing tool for Ford, after all in the big picture how much are they going to make off of selling actual Boss 302 cars? The are looking more to keep the Mustang line fresh with projects like this so anything we get is a really nice extra, track day, trackey and the package. For a 41-47K car it is above and beyond in my book, this extra stuff does nothing to help the Mustang line sell. I think they know that those that will buy a Boss are the real Mustang and Ford enthusiasts and we will do the work of being at the show and track. Then maybe on Monday someone will buy a Mustang at the dealer even if it is not a Boss.

Not so fast...for argument sake, let's just say Ford turns out 6000 street Bosses and 2000 LS. That's a gross revenue of approximately $252 million + $94 million = $346 million for one model of the Mustang line for a two MY run...to me, that's not peanuts.

I agree with the comment that Boss sales should have a trickle down effect to some degree on GT and V6 sales as a bonus. But even by itself, the Boss should be a money maker for Ford.

The number should be eight thousand but think about the extra man hours that went into the Boss program on top of the Mustang program. Special dyno, per-production cars, all the shows they haul them to and so-on. When you look at what the F150's make this program is nothing like that. Money is money, yes but with all that went into this I doubt it will leave a lot of profit.

I recently again emailed MMP to get an update on the Boss Track Attack and this is the reply:

It's taking a little longer than we planned for us to get our fleet of Boss 302s built and delivered from the factory for the Track Attack. We're looking at starting the program in late June, but should have all of the exact dates and registration set by early June.

I'll be sure to keep you in the loop.

Rob

Hope this helps everyone out, just trying to do what I can......since I can't go out and drive my Boss yet!! LOL

suprmn said:
I recently again emailed MMP to get an update on the Boss Track Attack and this is the reply:

It's taking a little longer than we planned for us to get our fleet of Boss 302s built and delivered from the factory for the Track Attack. We're looking at starting the program in late June, but should have all of the exact dates and registration set by early June.

I'll be sure to keep you in the loop.

Rob

Hope this helps everyone out, just trying to do what I can......since I can't go out and drive my Boss yet!! LOL
Great info...please update when you hear something! Thanks!

jimprw said:
Not so fast...for argument sake, let's just say Ford turns out 6000 street Bosses and 2000 LS. That's a gross revenue of approximately $252 million + $94 million = $346 million for one model of the Mustang line for a two MY run...to me, that's not peanuts.

I agree with the comment that Boss sales should have a trickle down effect to some degree on GT and V6 sales as a bonus. But even by itself, the Boss should be a money maker for Ford.

The engineering costs to develop, test, and certify all of the content, as mentioned in another post, would definitely eat into that figure. Between having to upgrade engine dynos to run at higher levels, track time at Leguna Seca, engine PCM tuning, alcantara on the steering wheels, etc., etc., they spent some money on this baby.

I would be curious to see the rate of return to get this approved :)

I believe I came across window stickers for four cars headed to SLC, very likely for Miller. Co/White, CO/Black, Kona/White, White/Black. All were built May 11th.
There were details about the window stickers that lead me to believe they aren't regular orders.

PTRocks said:
I believe I came across window stickers for four cars headed to SLC, very likely for Miller. Co/White, CO/Black, Kona/White, White/Black. All were built May 11th.
There were details about the window stickers that lead me to believe they aren't regular orders.
Was there anything different about their build or just delivery info?

5 DOT 0 said:
PTRocks said:
Was there anything different about their build or just delivery info?

It wasn't the build. They are all optioned with Recaros/Torsen only. Since I don't work for Ford, I don't know if there were other changes to the BOM.
I'm being cagey so as to not give ammo to people inclined to make fake 302's. :)

Tony Alonso said:
jimprw said:

The engineering costs to develop, test, and certify all of the content, as mentioned in another post, would definitely eat into that figure. Between having to upgrade engine dynos to run at higher levels, track time at Leguna Seca, engine PCM tuning, alcantara on the steering wheels, etc., etc., they spent some money on this baby.

I would be curious to see the rate of return to get this approved :)

The member of the TracKey "team" I spoke to said Ford budgeted for 30(!!) track days to develop the tune. Talk about a kick-ass job!

Sounds like they are really making a big investment in the tune. It also seems they are laying pretty low about it right now. There's not much buzz since the initial announcement. I know there were rumors swirling about patent holding this up that have been largely dismissed by those with access to "inside" info, but it sure makes me wonder. It's definitely exciting, but as an early buyer who went with the Boss in part due to its availability this spring, I'm starting to get a little impatient.... :-\

cloud9 said:
Sounds like they are really making a big investment in the tune. It also seems they are laying pretty low about it right now. There's not much buzz since the initial announcement. I know there were rumors swirling about patent holding this up that have been largely dismissed by those with access to "inside" info, but it sure makes me wonder. It's definitely exciting, but as an early buyer who went with the Boss in part due to its availability this spring, I'm starting to get a little impatient.... :-\

I've passed impatient a long time ago. And that's just for the car.

I was at a Track event today and talked to the folks at Ford Racing and they told me the TracKey would be available in August, they did not provide any details as to why so long though.

To me its nothing but bs that we have to wait for track key. Dont we need that to activate the launch control and other features that make the boss special? On top of that my dealer has jacked me around so much it has ruined the anticipation of getting my LS I am just about ready to tell him to shove it and cancel the order. Maybe what he is hoping for so he can sell it for over msrp.

bruno said:
To me its nothing but bs that we have to wait for track key. Dont we need that to activate the launch control and other features that make the boss special? On top of that my dealer has jacked me around so much it has ruined the anticipation of getting my LS I am just about ready to tell him to shove it and cancel the order. Maybe what he is hoping for so he can sell it for over msrp.
Yes, it is my understanding that the Track Key includes the launch control. The idea of patent makes sense as other manufacturers have Mustang tunes available and crossover can get dicey. It wouldn't surprise me if the Track Key tune has been done for some time and the hold up really is legal filing and paperwork issues.

What type of runaround has your dealer given you? I know personally what dealer issues can do to dilute the experience, but really it is worth it to hang tight - the car is really something.

Thanks jimprw for the words of encouragement. I have had so many gut aches over this car I ordered allready in jan 3 that it has sort of spoiled the whole thing. I hate to mention the name of the dealership and bad mouth them so I wont. Maybe at some point I will just in case some other forum member is thinking about buying something from them. I will walk before even thinking about another purchase from them. I am really dismayed about the track key and no launch control without it because I will only drag race the car and the launch control is something I could really use. The wife will autocross the car so it shouldnt make a whole lot of difference without the key. I finally got some things answered about the car from ford customer service and they were really good to deal with fortunately. They told me the sales manager from dealership would call me back but I knew he wouldnt and he hasnt. I tried to bring up the window sticker but it said access was denied although I know many people on this forum have done it. Customer service told me the dealer could still sell the car to someone else ever with my sales order and 1000 deposit so that wasnt encouraging. I think that might be the reason the poor treatment of myself by them. They now know they could get over sticker for it and would like another 5 or 10 thousand over what they sold it to me for. Sorry this got a little long.

The window sticker should be available within about 7 days from the scheduled build date, not any sooner. TracKey is coming so be patient. As for bad dealer experience unfortunately you are not alone. I've had to place an order with four different dealers but I finally found one to work with at MSRP that will honor their word. But I'll still belive it when the car is parked in my garage. Good luck!

I am with you 5 DOT 0. I will believe its mine when its in my possion. Maybe some of the tuners will come up with a tune to activate launch control and other things before ford.

TMO Supporting Vendors