The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss Transmission/Clutch Issues Poll Discussion Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Now they have disagreed to install the shifter and want 2.5-3 hours for it. This is the same dealership that wants 2.5 hours for TracKey and puts the wrong oil in my car. If you recall, my attempted buying experience was also frustrating and insulting.

01ee12dc67c6bd168bf2af1d2fba3ebb.jpg

Covert Ford in Austin, Texas. Avoid at all costs. WORST. STEALERSHIP. EVER.

Pretty sure the first words out of my mouth when I return their loaner car will be, "Sorry about the brakes."

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Jimmy Pribble said:
Now they have disagreed to install the shifter and want 2.5-3 hours for it. This is the same dealership that wants 2.5 hours for TracKey and puts the wrong oil in my car. If you recall, my attempted buying experience was also frustrating and insulting.

01ee12dc67c6bd168bf2af1d2fba3ebb.jpg

Covert Ford in Austin, Texas. Avoid at all costs. WORST. STEALERSHIP. EVER.

Pretty sure the first words out of my mouth when I return their loaner car will be, "Sorry about the brakes."

.2 to .3 Would be excessive considering the trans has to come out to do the other work. You have to wonder if they realize how insulting offers like this are?

Not all Dealers are created equal. Do you have other options?

Could be fun to take car to track. Back in the day we rented cars at the airport and took them to Bragg for "Driving Course". Rental company finally figured it out after several sets of brakes and tires.

TMSBOSS said:
.2 to .3 Would be excessive considering the trans has to come out to do the other work. You have to wonder if they realize how insulting offers like this are?

Not all Dealers are created equal. Do you have other options?

Could be fun to take car to track. Back in the day we rented cars at the airport and took them to Bragg for "Driving Course". Rental company finally figured it out after several sets of brakes and tires.

I'm not looking for handouts (although I do appreciate when I see companies going above and beyond to ensure customer satisfaction and loyalty), but the fact that these guys don't even bother to offer to go halvsies or whatever...that's where it crosses into insulting. It's topped-off with the service writer mumbling about how long it might take to pull apart the console to get to the shifter. Really? You mean the one part that just pulls off with no tools in less than 30 seconds? ::)

Anyway. I'm a capable person, so I will just do the shifter myself. I'm just venting. I like your other idea and wouldn't hesitate to do that, except it looks like this will all happen between Mon-Wed, so probably no real opportunity.

I do have other options, so once this is done. I might jump out of the frying pan and see what I get. I might also reach-out to the local SVT guys to see where they go. They tend to be a more persnickety subset of Mustang owners.

Whew! Okay, all vented out now. Happy Friday everyone! Cheers! ;)

Jimmy Pribble said:
In a related note, I have seen a rented Jaguar at a track event. ;)

Sadly, I know all too well what you're going through...

I realize it's hard to keep it together when you're getting taken for a ride, but keep in mind that they're still R&Ring your tranny and you want them to at least try to do a good job..

On a barely related note, this was my last rental:

FORDGT_zpsa1b53ca7.jpg

I babied the s**t out of it ;)

I called Ford Customer Care today, because the promised call from my Regional Customer Care Manager had not occurred within 2 business days of my last contact (5 business days had passed). When I called, Matthew informed me that the Reg. Mgr., a woman named Jody Brown, was in the office and would call me back. Around an hour and a half later, I received a call from a woman named Jessica Brannon, who stated she was a Regional Customer Care Manager and was responding to me in lieu of Ms. Brown. To make a long story short, these were the points she made in response to my concerns about the car's transmission/clutch, as well as the lack of response/honoring commitments made by Ford Motor Co. employees:
  • She was sorry I was unhappy/frustrated
  • She was not aware of any problem with Mustang transmissions/clutches
  • Since my car did not display the problems in "normal" driving, it was not a valid concern
  • She tried to suggest that I was using the car for purposes for which it was not intended
  • My dealer was the responsible party for repair solutions. If they diagnosed a problem, they should fix it
  • In response to my statement that some customers had received a labor credit towards an aftermarket clutch replacement, she said that was not possible
  • She indicated that I could check back from time to time with the Customer Care Center, as well as my dealer, to see if Ford had come up with any solutions

I referenced the internet, prior TSBs, and other Ford employees' acknowledgement of the clutch/transmission problems. I reminded her that Ford had marketed this car as a race car with a license plate, and that Ford had paid to send me to Utah to drive Boss 302s in track environments to see what my car was capable of. I indicated that the dealer had duplicated a problem and contacted Ford, but Ford had no solution. I told her I simply wanted Ford to acknowledge the problem and confirm they were working on a solution (she refused). I indicated that my "normal" driving consisted of 15,000 miles a year of street driving, and 8 track days (she did not know what a track day was). I told her that I had never dumped the clutch on my car, and I reminded her that 7000 rpm was 500 rpm below redline, and therefore within "normal" driving parameters. I told her I did not want an aftermarket clutch; what I wanted was for Ford to correct the design flaw in the car and fix my automobile. I also stressed to her that the inability to shift gears at speed was a significant safety issue.

Calling this woman a bimbo would be a compliment. She knew nothing about the product, and was obviously more concerned about denying any responsibility than taking any ownership of the issue.

Ironically, upon my return home this evening, what should I find in my mailbox but the gloves from BTA! G-Force G1 SFI 3.1 flame retardant racing gloves! The perfect choice for low rpm runs to the grocery store, which was clearly what the Boss was designed for, according to Jessica.

hSb0X5dIFkV4YXZXcUPCRAAezwgMqA_HQzuQZBW8tN8=w155-h207-p-no

OK, get me some names and addresses, and let's start writing letters...

athens7 said:
OK, get me some names and addresses, and let's start writing letters...
Yep it's time. If anyone has names and addresses please contact me. It will be another week until I can focus on this but I will. We need to be organized and concise in our communications and having this issue become a biznitch session on Ford will not accomplish anything.

It's clear that the woman you spoke to is clueless and was stepping in because nobody else would. I wouldn't be too hard on her but I do know Ford is aware of the issue.

unrealford

Mustang owner since 84
Re: Re: Boss Transmission/Clutch Issues Poll Discussion Thread

NFSBOSS said:
Yep it's time. If anyone has names and addresses please contact me. It will be another week until I can focus on this but I will. We need to be organized and concise in our communications and having this issue become a biznitch session on Ford will not accomplish anything.

It's clear that the woman you spoke to is clueless and was stepping in because nobody else would. I wouldn't be too hard on her but I do know Ford is aware of the issue.
Sounds like a great idea.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

Flight96

69 Mustang Vert Restomod BOSS 351 & 2013 BOSS 302
Well mine goes in tomorrow to have the trans looked at. My issue is not as bad as most...yet...But I have not tracked the car yet either. My issue is very clunky shifting from 2nd to 3rd. Especially when its cold. Its like I can feel a tooth when shifting. It does get a bit better when it warms up. I have heard that changing the fluid out to a heavier fluid (Motorcraft part # XT-11-QDC Dual clutch trans fluid) may fix the issue.
Has there ever been a TSB for any of these trans issues ??

TMSBOSS said:

IMAG1091.jpg

So much for that idea. :mad:

I wish that I had something interesting to report, but I don't. I got my car back and admittedly, the transmission shifts/feels/sounds great. But, there was no fix and no new p/n. No reason to believe that I won't be back to see them again, someday.

I have a track day in a couple of weeks, so I will try to get the FR shifter installed before then.

unrealford

Mustang owner since 84
Re: Re: Boss Transmission/Clutch Issues Poll Discussion Thread

cloud9 said:
I will say this. After getting the trans installed last week along with the Exedy twin disc, the car shifted better than ever all 3 days at MPH last weekend.
excellent

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

I've replaced the OEM shifter with MGW. Cured the 2-3 for sure. Haven't missed an "under load 2-3 since".

however, still getting the occasional 1-2.

found this:http://www.cheperformance.com/prod-208.htm

i talked to Chuck (owner/designer), I was very impressed. Read the info, especially about 2nd gear lockout for drag racing and 4th lockout for road racing.

Installed on my Boss this weekend. Will test drive probably on Monday.

Edit: Your links aren't working. NFS Will try again

[urlImage_zps4daff598.jpg [/URL][/url]

JB said:
Did you have to modify anything or did it just bolt up?

I'll quote Loran Keller of Open Track Connection, the installer:

You have to take off the stock K Member Brace, and remove the 2 of the 4 studs. You have to cut the head off and pound the stud out. then it is a bolt on.

SeattleBoss

TrackAttack 9-23-13
Clutch fix: what has worked for you?

I spoke with a Ford Customer Service rep last week about the issue with the clutch pedal not coming all the way back up during a track event. As it stands, they are debating on replacement of the hydraulic system or the clutch itself.

As this is a very common problem as shown by the poll, I'd like to ask those with similar problems to respond with what Ford did to fix yours. At this point I'm only looking at Ford-authorized repairs under warranty.

Thanks

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
Re: Clutch fix: what has worked for you?

well nothing that I have read that ford has done has fixed it. closest is rick and his dealer installing a mcloed twin disc clutch on his dime...

my fix was Centerforce DYAD clutch kit I didnt bother taking it to ford though....

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel