The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss Transmission/Clutch Issues Poll Discussion Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Re: Clutch fix: what has worked for you?

SeattleBoss said:
I spoke with a Ford Customer Service rep last week about the issue with the clutch pedal not coming all the way back up during a track event. As it stands, they are debating on replacement of the hydraulic system or the clutch itself.

As this is a very common problem as shown by the poll, I'd like to ask those with similar problems to respond with what Ford did to fix yours. At this point I'm only looking at Ford-authorized repairs under warranty.

Thanks
Unfortunately it's a very common problem and the only solution I've seen, and performed, is removing the helper spring.

BTW I merged this topic with the main thread to keep the issues centralized for Ford. ;)

I am at 7000 miles. Well my 2-3 lockout got significantly worse Sunday as I was shortshifting at about 6500RPM to get it at all. By the end I was locked out from 2-3 at any RPM(except idling/slow moving). Downshifting seemed ok from 4-3 and it felt ok while at Idle not moving. I took it to my service dealer today and asked them to look into it. As he moved it out of the service port the clutch was making terrible noise while engaging and disengaging, so my timing was impeccible. I am a little worried about the trans though as the engagement doesn't feel good going into 3rd gear, and only 3rd gear, while moving at all.
I should get more words by tomorrow.

SVO WOODY

Cruising Southern Ontario
Canada
I'll be calling the dealer on Tuesday...I just got back from a road trip and out of no where I can't smoothly get 5th if at all.

Latest update:
On Friday, August 29th I spoke with Jean Saporito, who is a supervisor over the Regional Customer Care Managers. I had asked to speak to a supervisor because on both of my customer care cases, the manager had not called me within 2 business days (or at all) as promised. Ms. Saporito went on the offensive from the outset of the conversation, claiming that I was called by Jessica Brannon (Jessica called me a week after my first contact, and only after I called a second time as no one had gotten back with me. Ms. Brannon's spectacular lack of knowledge and service was documented previously). Ms. Saporito completely ignored the fact that no one had contacted me regarding the second open case regarding the high clutch pedal effort. Ms. Saporito accused me of changing my story between the conversation with Ms. Brannon and my conversation with her. I replied that I had not, at which time she "quoted" from Ms. Brannon's notes. I replied that Ms. Brannon's notes were her interpretation, and not what I said at the time. Ms. Saporito stated that there was no known clutch issue with the Boss. When I referenced all of the documentation of customer concerns on the internet, she stated that Ford does not consider the internet a valid source of data, that only customer contact through the Customer Care Center was valid, and that the clutch problems were not an issue in her understanding. I indicated that I was aware of a number of people who had contacted Customer Care about this issue.

I told Ms. Saporito that the dealer was reluctant to tear down the car without some guidance from Ford, and had requested a Field Service Engineer be dispatched to drive the car. Ms. Saporito claimed that the dealer had not performed the necessary diagnostics and communication with Ford engineering to have an FSE dispatched. She stated that she would contact the dealership service manager to start that process and would follow up with me early this week. I accepted her plan and said I would wait to hear from her.

So, no contact from either Ford or the dealership since last Friday. The dealership is waiting for Ford to suggest a path, while Ford is waiting for the dealership to tear my car down. Of course, the FSE can't drive the car if it's in pieces. Meanwhile, my left foot is sore every evening from the stiff clutch pedal, and time passes. About 6 weeks has elapsed since I first spoke with Customer Care. It is really frustrating to hear from others that Ford acknowledges an issue when everyone with whom I speak at Ford says they don't know what I'm talking about. :mad:

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
athens7 said:
Latest update:
On Friday, August 29th I spoke with Jean Saporito, who is a supervisor over the Regional Customer Care Managers. I had asked to speak to a supervisor because on both of my customer care cases, the manager had not called me within 2 business days (or at all) as promised. Ms. Saporito went on the offensive from the outset of the conversation, claiming that I was called by Jessica Brannon (Jessica called me a week after my first contact, and only after I called a second time as no one had gotten back with me. Ms. Brannon's spectacular lack of knowledge and service was documented previously). Ms. Saporito completely ignored the fact that no one had contacted me regarding the second open case regarding the high clutch pedal effort. Ms. Saporito accused me of changing my story between the conversation with Ms. Brannon and my conversation with her. I replied that I had not, at which time she "quoted" from Ms. Brannon's notes. I replied that Ms. Brannon's notes were her interpretation, and not what I said at the time. Ms. Saporito stated that there was no known clutch issue with the Boss. When I referenced all of the documentation of customer concerns on the internet, she stated that Ford does not consider the internet a valid source of data, that only customer contact through the Customer Care Center was valid, and that the clutch problems were not an issue in her understanding. I indicated that I was aware of a number of people who had contacted Customer Care about this issue.

I told Ms. Saporito that the dealer was reluctant to tear down the car without some guidance from Ford, and had requested a Field Service Engineer be dispatched to drive the car. Ms. Saporito claimed that the dealer had not performed the necessary diagnostics and communication with Ford engineering to have an FSE dispatched. She stated that she would contact the dealership service manager to start that process and would follow up with me early this week. I accepted her plan and said I would wait to hear from her.

So, no contact from either Ford or the dealership since last Friday. The dealership is waiting for Ford to suggest a path, while Ford is waiting for the dealership to tear my car down. Of course, the FSE can't drive the car if it's in pieces. Meanwhile, my left foot is sore every evening from the stiff clutch pedal, and time passes. About 6 weeks has elapsed since I first spoke with Customer Care. It is really frustrating to hear from others that Ford acknowledges an issue when everyone with whom I speak at Ford says they don't know what I'm talking about. :mad:
thats horrible. sorry you have to deal with that. this is why I didnt bother going to the dealer about my clutch sticking to the floor I just went ahead and changed clutches.

Moto said:
I am at 7000 miles. Well my 2-3 lockout got significantly worse Sunday as I was shortshifting at about 6500RPM to get it at all. By the end I was locked out from 2-3 at any RPM(except idling/slow moving). Downshifting seemed ok from 4-3 and it felt ok while at Idle not moving. I took it to my service dealer today and asked them to look into it. As he moved it out of the service port the clutch was making terrible noise while engaging and disengaging, so my timing was impeccible. I am a little worried about the trans though as the engagement doesn't feel good going into 3rd gear, and only 3rd gear, while moving at all.
I should get more words by tomorrow.
I got my car back apparently fixed. I am still out if town for another week and haven't driven it yet. The timeline was: it took 9 days to get through the checks to determine the transmission must be replaced. It had an arrival time of 18 days. Then 2 work days later they called and said it was complete. My daughter picked it up and said it seemed fine. I have conversed only by email, to which I am not getting much info, however the paperwork says "found massive fluid leak at front of trans, found no oil in trans, front of case too porous and bearings noisy. Too much internal damage. Transmission replaced. "
So I guess no fluid? I changed it at 3500 miles and it was perfectly full before and after I changed it. I also have a perfectly clean garage floor and trailer from the last weekend when it went out. So wonder where the oil went?
I also have asked about the clutch etc. and have not really any response. I will try the service manager in person I guess.
It looks like they broke the stud removing the right cat exhaust and said the stud is not serviceable so had to replace the whole cat.

Moto said:
I got my car back apparently fixed. I am still out if town for another week and haven't driven it yet. The timeline was: it took 9 days to get through the checks to determine the transmission must be replaced. It had an arrival time of 18 days. Then 2 work days later they called and said it was complete. My daughter picked it up and said it seemed fine. I have conversed only by email, to which I am not getting much info, however the paperwork says "found massive fluid leak at front of trans, found no oil in trans, front of case too porous and bearings noisy. Too much internal damage. Transmission replaced. "
So I guess no fluid? I changed it at 3500 miles and it was perfectly full before and after I changed it. I also have a perfectly clean garage floor and trailer from the last weekend when it went out. So wonder where the oil went?
I also have asked about the clutch etc. and have not really any response. I will try the service manager in person I guess.
It looks like they broke the stud removing the right cat exhaust and said the stud is not serviceable so had to replace the whole cat.
Glad you're fixed up Ron. Hopefully you'll be back on track when you get back.

SVO WOODY

Canada
Car was in today, tech took it out with me came back to the lot he said synchros are bad (hard 5th) told me I could bring it back Mon/Tues they will pull it and sort it out and take care of the control arm TSB at the same time. could take 4 days to a week based on parts avail.

SVO WOODY said:
I'll be calling the dealer on Tuesday...I just got back from a road trip and out of no where I can't smoothly get 5th if at all.

Ron, my friend, you met him at LS with the 2012 PW Boss 302, had a noise develop on his drive home. We initially thought it was coming from his DSS DS but checked it out more carefully and it appeared to be coming from the rear end. The dealer thought so too and replaced the Torsen. He went to pick up his car yesterday and was disappointed that the noise was still there. It looks like they are going to replace his transmission. His noise is a big clunk when you shift the car. I'll update as I find out more info.

unrealford

Mustang owner since 84
Re: Re: Boss Transmission/Clutch Issues Poll Discussion Thread

NFSBOSS said:
Ron, my friend, you met him at LS with the 2012 PW Boss 302, had a noise develop on his drive home. We initially thought it was coming from his DSS DS but checked it out more carefully and it appeared to be coming from the rear end. The dealer thought so too and replaced the Torsen. He went to pick up his car yesterday and was disappointed that the noise was still there. It looks like they are going to replace his transmission. His noise is a big clunk when you shift the car. I'll update as I find out more info.

My clunk was the upper control Arm Jam nut, it was loose and the shift would make it sound like a loose shock or something. I ended up putting loctite on it to resolve.
It also would make noise going down highway over the seams in concrete.
Now I have a new clunking in front end. Ever since car was on the Lift. I'm thinking the sway bar end links??

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

unrealford said:
My clunk was the upper control Arm Jam nut, it was loose and the shift would make it sound like a loose shock or something. I ended up putting loctite on it to resolve.
It also would make noise going down highway over the seams in concrete.
Now I have a new clunking in front end. Ever since car was on the Lift. I'm thinking the sway bar end links??

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

Sway bars sounds/noise are the easiest to diagnose. Disconnect them and go for a ride.

unrealford said:
My clunk was the upper control Arm Jam nut, it was loose and the shift would make it sound like a loose shock or something.
The UCA was the issue with my friends car. The poly upper joint came loose and made lots of noise. The good news is it wasn't the trans, Torsen or DS.

athens7 said:
Latest update:

A year ago, my Ford regional customer service manager told me the engineers were aware of the clutch problem and said it had to do with the pressure plate failing due to the centrifugal forces of the high RPMs. I was told that my problem was documented and I would be contacted when a TSB gets published. However, such a TSB was no where in sight then, and still no where in sight. I wasn't about to fix it myself with an aftermarket clutch, so I replaced my 2012 Boss with the 2013 GT A6 below, which I'm enjoying much better.

20130519_143907_zpse24e3c27.jpg

SVO WOODY said:
Car was in today, tech took it out with me came back to the lot he said synchros are bad (hard 5th) told me I could bring it back Mon/Tues they will pull it and sort it out and take care of the control arm TSB at the same time. could take 4 days to a week based on parts avail.

I had the same problem and Ford rebuilt the trans. with updated parts from what i am told. The car shifts excellent better than ever from 5th to third. The tech. told me to bring it back in about 500 miles and he would drain the oil ( $ on me ). I did so and purchased a filter to catach any metal parts. No metal & no problem. From my stand point Ford has stood behind this product. Thanks

SVO WOODY

Canada
jim woodruff said:
I had the same problem and Ford rebuilt the trans. with updated parts from what i am told. The car shifts excellent better than ever from 5th to third. The tech. told me to bring it back in about 500 miles and he would drain the oil ( $ on me ). I did so and purchased a filter to catach any metal parts. No metal & no problem. From my stand point Ford has stood behind this product. Thanks

My 2012 has been on the hoist 2 weeks come Tuesday! not getting many concrete answers. sent the fly wheel out for resufacing and it wasn't back yet yada yada

SVO WOODY

Canada
SVO WOODY said:
My 2012 has been on the hoist 2 weeks come Tuesday! not getting many concrete answers. sent the fly wheel out for resufacing and it wasn't back yet yada yada

Finally got the car back last night, I was pretty excited when I got the news I'm not gonna lie..lol (love that feeling when you still LOVE your car) So the tranny was removed obviously and to their surprise the 5th gear synchronizer hub assembly was broken!! so hub assembly, synchros replaced, fly wheel resurfaced and modified fluid installed. Seems to be fine but I drove home from the dealership in the dark in a downpour with 20" Supersnakes and 305's on the ass so there was no spirited driving I'll tell you that!! my go to the track for the first time ever Sunday and give her a go!

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Build date found on inside your drivers door:09/10
Do you have skip shift disabled (2011/2012 owners only)? Yes, No or NA- No
Have you replaced your transmission fluid? If yes what did you install?- BG Supershift
Have you replaced your brake fluid? If yes what did you install?- Castrol SRF
Have you installed an aftermarket shifter?- Yes MGW
Have you installed an aftermarket shifter bracket?- MGW
Have you installed an aftermarket clutch line?-NO
Have you installed an aftermarket clutch? If yes what did you install?- NO
Have you tracked your car? Track, autocross or strip?- Yes Road Race
If you've had any warranty work completed related to your clutch or transmission please describe as briefly as possible.- NO
Have you removed your clutch assist spring?- No
Do you own a Boss or GT?- GT

Failure of Throw out bearing at 24000 miles. Pedal stuck to floor on 4-3 downshift attempt at redline. TOB failure, do not believe transmission was damaged. Replacing TOB with Ford service part and clutch with McLeod RST. Edit: Failure of clutch, disc spring forcibly ejected from disc and jammed PP. Having relearn done at dealer tomorrow.
Steve

I had my clutch replaced and flywheel resurfaced after the Hastings event. Just as was predicted, the pressure plate springs broke which prevented me the clutch from disengaging. The clutch took at least a week to get to the dealership and they got it in right away once it arrived. When I went to drive it home, I got a check engine light and it went into limp mode. Took it back and they said they had figured it out. I figured it was something they had left unhooked or something simple. I believe they did the cranksensor TSB at that time. Picked it up again and the exact same thing happened. They called Ford and found out that they had to do some relearn process and that was the problem. I believe I have heard something about that on these forums. Last weekend I went North of Chicago to a small car show and on the way home, the check engine light came on again but it didn't go into limp mode this time. Took it in on Monday and they just called Friday and said the cat was bad and it needed it replaced. Seems strange that it coincided with the clutch being out but we'll wait and see. It is being replaced under warranty as was the clutch. The cat is a direct ship from the vendors so they have no idea when it will be in.

The thing that bothers me is the car does not shift as smooth as before. The clutch engagement feels great but the shifter is very notchy and does not go into gear smoothly. Is there something they could have done wrong when they put the shifter back in to make it feel that way? I haven't messed around with this type of shifting mechanism so I don't have a good idea what they could have done wrong.

Any ideas? I'm heading to Daytona in a month so I need to get this figured out.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
hopefully ACT comes out with a replacement hydraulic system for us 11+ mustang guys. I know I will buy it if they do.
http://www.stangtv.com/features/sema-coverage/sema-2013-advanced-clutch-technology-much-more-than-just-clutches/

TMO Supporting Vendors