The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss Transmission/Clutch Issues Poll Discussion Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
Re: Boss Transmission Issues Poll Discussion Thread

jeepinocala said:
Justin said:
got the GT500 pedal assembly on order through tousleyfordparts.com shipping was quoted at 9.75. soon as I get it and get some time I will do a how to on the swap. going to do the TSR-1 fluid swap at the same time.

What exactly does this come with?
the entire assembly like in the picture.
photo2.jpg

I would also want the gt500 master cylinder with the pedal system. Damn good price will order one after I find the master cylinder to go with it. I do not trust any of the stock ford boss clutch system it's just not very good.

Let us know how hard it is to swap. I have been having issues with my Boss MC, might as well do it as a pair.

Got my Boss back Friday.
Here's the list of parts replaced/fixed

8314a83c4b31a4ef09995a43b2b22b3c_zps0aaa23bd.jpg

Car started making a rattling/tapping sound after driving for awhile. It sounds like its coming from the drive shaft or tranny. Trying to see where the noise was coming from I find my exhaust bent. Car has been back in the shop since Monday. Very Frustrating! :(

I had a missed shift yesterday going 4-5 and ended up in 3rd, but it wasn't a big deal because I was short shifting so it only jumped to about 6k rpm. I assumed it was driver error, and was real careful trying to shift up again but it resisted going into 5th and tried to slide into 3rd again. I applied force and it felt like it pushed through a blockage and went into 5th, then I slowed down and shifted up through the gears again and it was fine.

I only had it a few times missed shift however now with 1500 miles all seems ok

Justin

Today it grinded badly trying to go into second. I say try cause it wouldn't go in. That was at 6k shift

Well, heard back from the dealer today on my car. Said they were going to put a new clutch and plate in and see if the solves the pedal getting stuck issue and then go forward with trying to resolve the grinding, thunking and poor shifting with the tranny and drive train. I agree with that approach.

However, Parts won't get in till next week so it looks like I am going to miss out on some nice fall drives, but hopefully this will get things back to square one. If not, we'll go down the 3 strikes your out path and see what Ford comes up with. Just a shame, as I love the car, but I am not going to deal with ongoing issues like this especially on a car wtih 1700 miles. Anyone else that has had these issues happy with the outcome?. Will say my dealer is great to work with and they have done a great job of keeping me informed. Oh well.....

dscowan said:
Well, heard back from the dealer today on my car. Said they were going to put a new clutch and plate in and see if the solves the pedal getting stuck issue and then go forward with trying to resolve the grinding, thunking and poor shifting with the tranny and drive train. I agree with that approach.

However, Parts won't get in till next week so it looks like I am going to miss out on some nice fall drives, but hopefully this will get things back to square one. If not, we'll go down the 3 strikes your out path and see what Ford comes up with. Just a shame, as I love the car, but I am not going to deal with ongoing issues like this especially on a car wtih 1700 miles. Anyone else that has had these issues happy with the outcome?. Will say my dealer is great to work with and they have done a great job of keeping me informed. Oh well.....
That's such a bummer. Good luck and keep us posted on the outcome.

Justin

its really frustrating for me. Ford has always seemed to leave me holding the bag on the transmission. great rears and motors but trans its always something. Seems they got the automatics down now. The 03-04 cobra went the right route with the T-56 even though it only had a 10 spline input shaft. seems that ford always leaves you something to upgrade for us serious abusers to their transmissions

Justin said:
its really frustrating for me. Ford has always seemed to leave me holding the bag on the transmission. great rears and motors but trans its always something. Seems they got the automatics down now. The 03-04 cobra went the right route with the T-56 even though it only had a 10 spline input shaft. seems that ford always leaves you something to upgrade for us serious abusers to their transmissions

Hell you dont have to be a serious abuser for these transmissions they are just hit or miss :-[ My trans seems good who knows but the clutch is junk so my luck I will spend two grand on a clutch and hope the trans doesnt give me any problems. Ive already looked at transmissions just to see what thats going to end up costing I dont even want to try ford that from what I am reading here is a waste. Thanks ford for screwing up a great chance to make a legend of a car :-\

Well, got the Boss back from the dealer today after 9 days for troubleshooting and repair. They ended up Replacing the Clutch Disk, Clutch Plate, draining and repalcing the clutch fluid and pulled tranny out to verify no issues with gears and synchro's. Also esamined drive line and rear gears for me. Feels a little better than before and the shifter seems to be tighter so we'll see what happens. Must say pleased with dealers apparent thoroughness in going through things, I know they spent a considerable amount of time on the phone with various tech experts at Ford. So time will tell but hats off to the LHM crew for their efforts. (as long as it stays this way :)

Lets see that was 1742 miles per clutch........Good luck to anyone else facing these issues. Still waiting for an answer from anyone on whether putting the MGW shifter in affects warranty issues? Not entirely confident I won't have problems in the future yet. thanks!

It shouldn't, unless you are trying to warranty the parts that are changed. But that is legally speaking, in the real world it all depends on the dealer. There was a local dealer that was covering blown stroker motors and there was another denying warranties over exhausts. And it is expensive to fight them on it.

Best advice I can give: ask the manager of the service department at the dealer whether it would affect the warranty. Because they are the ones who end up making the decision. Ford made it pretty clear to me that if the dealer denies coverage then you are SOL.

dscowan said:
Still waiting for an answer from anyone on whether putting the MGW shifter in affects warranty issues? Not entirely confident I won't have problems in the future yet. thanks!
I don't think there's a correct answer but it shouldn't be an issue. The dealer I use for service encouraged me to buy and install the MGW to see if it fixed my on track lock out issues. Plus the owner of the dealer wants to check it to see if he wants to add the MGW to his 2013 PW Boss. ;)

My dealer just said any added part will not void warranty unless it is the cause of any broken parts. I do not think any ford dealer would void any warranty for the mgw shifter cause simply they dont want to have to come up with a fix at their cost. Ford knows the stock shifter sucks by now I am more then sure.

You can also have the dealer install the shifter, it will probably cost a bit but then they are very unlikely to give you any problems. They should warranty the install (though not the actual parts unless you purchase it through them) for at least a year and then no worries about them claiming it voids your warranty unless they are really shady.

Justin

Centerforce DYAD clutch on order. Still waiting on the GT500 pedal assembly to ship from tousley. They seem to take forever. I am almost 100% certain its the clutch with my new tune if I take it to 8k it will stick to the floor everytime. I am so excited to get this clutch in I hope it is everybit as smooth as the one I had in my 96 cobra years back. It made more power and I pulled it to 7800 and never had a single issue with the clutch sticking to the floor and it was just the normal Dual friction.

Justin said:
Centerforce DYAD clutch on order. Still waiting on the GT500 pedal assembly to ship from tousley. They seem to take forever. I am almost 100% certain its the clutch with my new tune if I take it to 8k it will stick to the floor everytime. I am so excited to get this clutch in I hope it is everybit as smooth as the one I had in my 96 cobra years back. It made more power and I pulled it to 7800 and never had a single issue with the clutch sticking to the floor and it was just the normal Dual friction.
Good luck and I hope this is the fix.

To summarize the poll as of today:

Total votes: 84
Shifting issues min: 49 or 58%
Clutch issues min: 23 or 27%
No issues min: 18 or 21%
Reported issues to Ford: 14 or 17%

If you're having shifting/clutch issues I highly recommend that you report it to your dealer so it's documented. There's a much higher probability that Ford will look for a solution when issues are documented at dealers compared to posting on an internet forum.

5 DOT 0 said:
To summarize the poll as of today:

Total votes: 84
Shifting issues min: 49 or 58%
Clutch issues min: 23 or 27%
No issues min: 18 or 21%
Reported issues to Ford: 14 or 17%

If you're having shifting/clutch issues I highly recommend that you report it to your dealer so it's documented. There's a much higher probability that Ford will look for a solution when issues are documented at dealers compared to posting on an internet forum.

I doubt that ford will ever do anything. Ford knows they put a junk clutch system and they also know it would cost a small fortune to replace all of them so whats the solution--fix as broken otherwise oh well for the buyer.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel