The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss Transmission/Clutch Issues Poll Discussion Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Re: Boss Transmission Issues Poll Discussion Thread

5 DOT 0 said:
The clutch, TB and slave just can't handle the high RPM's and heat generated tracking a Boss...like is was marketed and sold as. "Race car with a license plate" ::)

But the clutch is "race inspired" ;)

CaliMR said:
5 DOT 0 said:
The clutch, TB and slave just can't handle the high RPM's and heat generated tracking a Boss...like is was marketed and sold as. "Race car with a license plate" ::)

It looks like too much inspiration and not enough race.

CaliMR said:
5 DOT 0 said:

I checked out the clutch in mine while it was out and though it was better then a complete stock, It looked pretty good but agree ford should have went stronger.

Sometimes they use a weak clutch to protect the rest of the drivetrain. Like when the Evo guys replaced the oem rag clutches and started breaking transfer cases. Maybe they are protecting the transmission?

CaliMR said:
Sometimes they use a weak clutch to protect the rest of the drivetrain. Like when the Evo guys replaced the oem rag clutches and started breaking transfer cases. Maybe they are protecting the transmission?

NO This transmission is built like a tank no joke. Built like a tank also the reason for alot of the noise that comes from it nothing to worrie of at all.

Add me to the list of unhappy customers. Took the car to Homestead Miami Speedway for its first real rigorous test of track driving and it failed miserably. Shifter lock out on nearly every lap, and a few times it was actually dangerous (more on that in a sec), and the clutch sticking to the floor happened at least twice and a weak, spongy feeling clutch also. We flushed the brake fluid and bled the clutch with ATE Superblue before the event and I had absolutely no brake fade or any brake issues what so ever. I was still using the stock brake pads also. I did install a brake cooling duct kit before hand.
More on the shifter lock out. It became so bad at times that at least twice, the train behind me had to check-up and swerve around me because my rate of acceleration had suddenly and unexpectantly stopped. I run in advanced group with my fellow instructors. We all know each other pretty well and we do run pretty tight and very fast. I'm a bit disgusted and I was hoping it wouldn't be me but....here we are.
Now, off to the dealer to document my issues and I'm sure the answer will be "nothing found".

Bummer, sorry you had to join this club. Please document it with your dealer. I installed an MGW shifter and while better it did not solve all my shifting issues. I had lock out several times shifting from 3-4 and 4-5 this past week at two track days. Add the clutch sticking to the floor and it really ruins your flow on track.

Fastduo said:
Add me to the list of unhappy customers. Took the car to Homestead Miami Speedway for its first real rigorous test of track driving and it failed miserably. Shifter lock out on nearly every lap, and a few times it was actually dangerous (more on that in a sec), and the clutch sticking to the floor happened at least twice and a weak, spongy feeling clutch also. We flushed the brake fluid and bled the clutch with ATE Superblue before the event and I had absolutely no brake fade or any brake issues what so ever. I was still using the stock brake pads also. I did install a brake cooling duct kit before hand.
More on the shifter lock out. It became so bad at times that at least twice, the train behind me had to check-up and swerve around me because my rate of acceleration had suddenly and unexpectantly stopped. I run in advanced group with my fellow instructors. We all know each other pretty well and we do run pretty tight and very fast. I'm a bit disgusted and I was hoping it wouldn't be me but....here we are.
Now, off to the dealer to document my issues and I'm sure the answer will be "nothing found".

WOW, sorry that the same is happening to you, Rene'! I only had the shifter lockout when going from 2nd to 3rd, and the Steeda Tri-ax and mount totally cured that for me. As you know, I could only document the clutch pedal going to the floor, with Ford. The clutch issue and no TSB in sight for a problem that's been around since day one of the Boss, is what took the wind out of my sails. IMO, they figure since the problem cannot or will not be replicated by the dealer, that they don't need fix it. I sincerely hope that your Boss gets fixed, so that you can enjoy it.

I'm thinking about mounting a camera Rally style under the dash to record the pedals next time I take it to the track. It didn't help when I brought pictures and video of the brakes leaking to the dealer, but it couldn't hurt. If we get enough "proof" maybe either we can get Ford to pay attention or an aftermarket company will be able to better diagnose the cause and figure out the issue.

CaliMR said:
I'm thinking about mounting a camera Rally style under the dash to record the pedals next time I take it to the track. It didn't help when I brought pictures and video of the brakes leaking to the dealer, but it couldn't hurt. If we get enough "proof" maybe either we can get Ford to pay attention or an aftermarket company will be able to better diagnose the cause and figure out the issue.

The assist is one part of the problem. You never want anything helping you push the pedal down that is bad.

Ok, I had my transmission fixed. I have tested it out for a few weeks now and I will only say, if you have any problems take it to your dealer and demand they fix it. I cant even express how damn amazing my transmission is now. I am thinking of a video, it works great, in fact I dont think I have had a transmission work this good before. replaced parts---sinkros,sinkro rings,fluid, and completely broken down and assembled. I cant believe it I did not think it would ever work the correct way. Sinkros and their rings act like a clutch system to get the next gear up to speed so their is no crunching they should work super clean if not, they are bad. I think this is 90% of the problems out there with this transmission. Some of the cause could have been the fluid they install from the factory.

I'm glad it worked out for you, as that may help the rest of us too. However I have had mine to multiple dealers, they will not even look at the tranny unless their techs confirm the lock outs. And the techs weren't willing to rev it out in town, where the dealerships are. That also doesn't explain the clutch sticking to the floor. After 8 months of bringing it in repeatedly and being told, basically, to go **** myself, I am starting to consider other cars.

CaliMR said:
I'm glad it worked out for you, as that may help the rest of us too. However I have had mine to multiple dealers, they will not even look at the tranny unless their techs confirm the lock outs. And the techs weren't willing to rev it out in town, where the dealerships are. That also doesn't explain the clutch sticking to the floor. After 8 months of bringing it in repeatedly and being told, basically, to go **** myself, I am starting to consider other cars.

Get on allfordmustangs site there is a contact there whom can get you the right people to make it happen I promiss you this-once you get it fixed the right way you will not even consider another vehicle the transmission when correct is great. Dyesha I believe is her name. You will find her on there.

That did not help, and if anything made it worse. I believe I discussed what happened in another thread, but at this point I basically consider Ford to have sold me a car without a warranty. Hopefully if enough people get their trannies fixed then they will be more open to fixing the rest of them.

Have you talked to another dealer? I would not give up. I was ready to get rid of this car to a point of I was car shopping every day until I just told myself bullsh-- ford is going to fix this thing. I had my service guy take my car home told him to drive the thing and dont be scared either hamer down after that weekend he agreed time to tear it down. I hear of all of these people afraid to let their service guy's drive their car afraid they may hurt it? The damn thing was designed to run and that is exactly what got mine fixed and it is amazing now.

Exactly what problems have you had?

I have had it to 3 dealers. Lock outs/kick outs in 1st at stop lights and the kick outs usually also grind, 2nd kick outs a couple times, 3rd lock outs when the tranny is warm unless I do a dance with the shifter and push it to 5th then slide it back toward 3rd, clutch stuck to floor, clutch kicks black gunk into the reservoir when pumped, generally just resists going into gear more than it should and feels like it has too many clunks per gear compared to a GT (3, instead of 2, and the 3rd is where it locks out). I drove several other manual cars just to make sure it isn't me doing something stupid, and I did not miss a shift or have any other issues a single time. Including on a car with bad synchros and 30 year old shifter bushings. This all on top of having a caliper that visibly leaked (first noticed at about 500 miles) that they fought me for around 8 months despite showing it to multiple dealers while leaking and sending pics and video to Ford. I don't know what else to do at this point, I would like to have a tranny that works so I can drive the car, but every stop light is a potential embarrassment when it kicks out and grinds, and I can't run it through the hills without 3rd acting up. I did also leave it overnight a couple times and tell the techs to do thorough test drives, last time I recorded the odometer and the thorough test drive I was promised was < 1 mile.

HaVe you tried Ford racing?

Then you can also file a complaint with the BBB. That got Pontiac's attention when I was waiting for a G'8's airbag that went off after hitting a pothole. The wait was 4 months. They wound up paying half my rental and 2 months car payments.

CaliMR said:
I have had it to 3 dealers. Lock outs/kick outs in 1st at stop lights and the kick outs usually also grind, 2nd kick outs a couple times, 3rd lock outs when the tranny is warm unless I do a dance with the shifter and push it to 5th then slide it back toward 3rd, clutch stuck to floor, clutch kicks black gunk into the reservoir when pumped, generally just resists going into gear more than it should and feels like it has too many clunks per gear compared to a GT (3, instead of 2, and the 3rd is where it locks out). I drove several other manual cars just to make sure it isn't me doing something stupid, and I did not miss a shift or have any other issues a single time. Including on a car with bad synchros and 30 year old shifter bushings. This all on top of having a caliper that visibly leaked (first noticed at about 500 miles) that they fought me for around 8 months despite showing it to multiple dealers while leaking and sending pics and video to Ford. I don't know what else to do at this point, I would like to have a tranny that works so I can drive the car, but every stop light is a potential embarrassment when it kicks out and grinds, and I can't run it through the hills without 3rd acting up. I did also leave it overnight a couple times and tell the techs to do thorough test drives, last time I recorded the odometer and the thorough test drive I was promised was < 1 mile.

All of these problems where the hell do you live that they would not help you? If I had a leaking caliper my dealer would not let me drive the thing they would get me a rental NOW and have that caliper fixed/replaced within a day if not right away. No joke that is alot of issues for them to not help you? Does not make sense at all.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel