The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss Transmission/Clutch Issues Poll Discussion Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
The transmission went yesterday to a guy that works at a dealership but does work on the side. He thinks he can get it fixed under warranty. That would be great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you could swing that....It would be the Holy Grail in auto repairs. Please keep us posted on the outcome of the repairs.

Good Luck

Justin

boss man said:
If you could swing that....It would be the Holy Grail in auto repairs. Please keep us posted on the outcome of the repairs.

Good Luck
they wouldn't do it cause it was just replaced in January. It would flag the system and a rep would be sent. I should have gave him a vin to a crashed one lol

O well...I was pulling for ya when I read this.
Out of curiosity, do you think a different Vin would of worked.
If the blue oval caught wind of this, I'm sure people would loose there jobs.
Have you ever thought about installing an automatic in it or are you dead set against it. I do believe another Boss owner (RaceRat) has done so. For the simple fact that she keep breaking the trans. She was pushing some HUGE HP #'s.
Well do keep us posted.

Justin

boss man said:
O well...I was pulling for ya when I read this.
Out of curiosity, do you think a different Vin would of worked.
If the blue oval caught wind of this, I'm sure people would loose there jobs.
Have you ever thought about installing an automatic in it or are you dead set against it. I do believe another Boss owner (RaceRat) has done so. For the simple fact that she keep breaking the trans. She was pushing some HUGE HP #'s.
Well do keep us posted.
i have thought of going auto. Right now as it's my sole means of transportation I just want to get it running. I like it being manual more fun to drive. If I was going to drag race it only and not drive it on the street I would go auto.

So I've read through this thread & others. My car had a 1st and 2nd gear along with synchos replaced by the dealer after I gave up 4 teeth, 10 cases of Coors light and agreed to say the transmission shifts like a hot knife through butter. Still shifts bad into 1st and grinds and locks out and whines like I have a roots blower and makes me want to remove it to make it serve its real purpose; boat anchor. My car is 99% daily driven and I don't beat on it. I see many agree the clutch, throwout, helper spring, etc are the cause of the garbage performance of these boxes. I also see many that change all these components still have lockout, grinding and all the other good stuff. Isn't the core issue the transmission? Had an '03 Cobra with T56 that I drove hard and never had any issues like this other than wearing out the clutch due to drag racing use. I'm thinking when the time comes a Tremec conversion will be the answer. Any one done this?

Justin

T-56xl had been done and. I recommend it. D&D performance and jpc as well as others sell a complete kit for a swap

Justin

well had the transmission taken apart. nothing wrong with it. so I pulled the rear diff cover. found the problem. dealer is going to replace it under warranty. below is the pics. the rear was put together pretty loose. the back lash was .14 I set them up at 8-12. here are the pics enjoy
10294319_767796453252928_3680593139685077061_n.jpg

1660687_767796483252925_832130542872794274_n.jpg

1609596_767796496586257_4844633047281282075_n.jpg

10295759_767796516586255_4437511756415045608_n.jpg

10155082_767796536586253_8718528552997888777_n.jpg

10247384_767796559919584_9095970898077067935_n.jpg

10245583_767796573252916_2123752475021191214_n.jpg

unrealford

Mustang owner since 84
NFSBOSS said:
For those of us that don't know jack about diffs what are we looking at? :eek:
Your looking at the shattered spider gears And the carrier emptied after parts removed.

That looks pretty bad. What it does show is your car hooks pretty good at the strip. Anything happen too the housing? However I do agree on the locker.
I do have one question... How are you having the dealer replace it under warranty. It looks like the car is in your garage and not the dealership. If you can pull that off your GOOD. Please keep us posted

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
I do have one question... How are you having the dealer replace it under warranty. It looks like the car is in your garage and not the dealership. If you can pull that off your GOOD. Please keep us posted
[/quote]

No all that hard to do.

If you have a dealer who will work with you. Take the bad parts and exchange. They most likely bill the whole repair to Ford. If you know a technician, or several, they can stop by your garage and do repairs. Still billed to ford.

In most cases you have done the tear down for them.

Justin

Was there any wheel hop before she blew??

I have a box full of old Corvette parts mostly related to Wheel hop.

Justin said:
it went home on a flatbed then I backed it into the garage. the transmission was pulled on sat. having it sent a a transmission guy that is just going to fix whats broke in it. Going to baby it while I save for a T-56 XL cause I am done messing with the MT82.

When I do the swap I will have my Driveshaft and shifter up for sale. D&D performance has a swap kit for 4005 bucks. I will keep the stock mt82 and ds as a back up.

Is the Driveshaft for sale yet? if so, how much?

Thanks,
Dave

I'm the latest addition to this problem. 800 mi on the car, and under hard shifting (drag racing) I'm getting locked-out 2-3. When this happens I can't get it into 1st, or 5th either. I added the Whiteline Tranny mount stiffener, and if anything, it has made things worse. Shifter is really notchy now, started being locked out of 1-2 shift last night, and now the car will not go into reverse, at all. At low rpm, or sitting motionless, it shifts just fine, but when I get on it, I'm locked out. I'll fill in the survey and report to dealer. Very disappointing. The new Shelby's have Tremec's in them, and I'm starting to wonder why?

Fixy said:
I'm the latest addition to this problem. 800 mi on the car, and under hard shifting (drag racing) I'm getting locked-out 2-3. When this happens I can't get it into 1st, or 5th either. I added the Whiteline Tranny mount stiffener, and if anything, it has made things worse. Shifter is really notchy now, started being locked out of 1-2 shift last night, and now the car will not go into reverse, at all. At low rpm, or sitting motionless, it shifts just fine, but when I get on it, I'm locked out. I'll fill in the survey and report to dealer. Very disappointing. The new Shelby's have Tremec's in them, and I'm starting to wonder why?
Hae the dealer do whatever is needed to the tranny. Then by the end of the summer purchase the Blowfish racing Tranny fix part and your shifting problem will be just a thing of the past...Nightmare. the part will hit the market by summer's end im told.....trust me, It changed everything about my shifting problems.

TMO Supporting Vendors