The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss Transmission/Clutch Issues Poll Discussion Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fixy said:
It would sure be nice if we could just get that Blowfish part now?

I agree. Im just lucky to be one of the Beta Testers. thats why I can comment on it and what it did for me. I have not missed a gear or had the crunch sense I installed the part. the `biggest improvement is the 2 to 3. It's spot on. And in drag racing thats an important gear.

I started out thinking I just don't know how to operate this "new" 6 speed shifter. I grew up with the top loader, and never missed a shift. I have two other top loaders at present. I've missed more shifts in the last month, than I have in my entire life. I'm just learning how to drag race, and find it totally demoralizing when I finally get a good reaction, good 60 foot time, leading the race…until I need 3rd gear... before the 1/8 mi. As I try and try to get a gear with the clutch in & coasting, the guy in the other lane comes from behind, passes me like a freight train. I'm starting a yellow slip collection!

Man that sucks for sure. All I can say is I felt your pain and Dr. Blowfish Racing cured me of my pain. I cant comment on the part, but the Surgery / install is about 1 1/2 hrs with no recovery time. the only thing that will happen is a SMILE from ear to ear. To be honest...after this hits the market I plan on sending Ford a letter about my pain and how Ford chose to not address the issuie. What still bothers me is, Ford has no problem rebuilding and installing new transmissions and clutch. When there was a fix to the problem Ford created. it took a small race shop to one up the Blue Oval....BIG TIME!! Think how many MT-82 are out there. Think how many Trans and clutches were and still going to be replaced.
Have faith Brother, Better times are just a couple of months away.

I just installed the Whiteline trans mount bushing (have had an MGW and engine mounts for a while). It definitely feels like a different car. The shifting seems to be better while turning, and I don't get as much of a clunk/bumping when shifting or transitioning to engine braking and back. That trans isn't able to bounce around anymore! I am waiting for Blowfish's solution next to prevent future issues.

thats the part and it works VERY well!
I run that part and its worth every dollar. I truley believe it will save many MT-82 trans from being torn up.

There being manufactured as we speak. Blowfish racing is taking orders. just cause the site says out of stock. place an order.
I was planing on selling my Boss due to the shifting nightmare untill this came along. If it does for you what it did for me well, I'll let you be surprised. All i'll say is I now drive my car,know what gear I want and its there. bettter than any other product that claims to fix the shifting problem. This part does do that. The beauty is it will work with any shifter on the market. How much better than that.

I am sure Steve's bracket is great (I ordered one!) but reading about some issues some are having, I would just remind that clutch going bad IS a one major cause of being stuck with the gearbox (shifter).
And ignoring this most probably damages the gearbox.

hey guys here's another trans problem to add. I have an 013 with just over 6700 mi. and most have been put on at track days. About two weeks ago I took the car into my dealer for a trans leak. They disassembled and replaced an input shaft seal, blanking plug, clutch system bleed. Was back on the track over the weekend at Road America and during the afternoon session the transmission got extremely hot (console and gear shift lever were hot to the touch) and having trouble engaging 4th & 5th. Back in the paddock I confirmed the trans was leaking again!! I dropped the car off at the dealer again this a.m. and could here some mechanical "clanking" noises on the way over. NOT GOOD!! At this point just waiting to hear from them and then the fun begins. Depending on the diagnosis should I accept a rebuild or new trans?? If it needs replacing do I then request a credit for an upgraded replacement and if so any recommendations on what to install? I love my Boss but starting to look over my shoulder at this point. So far I've had two coils replaced due to mis-fire codes, two blown rear axles seals (not at the same time), and now a second trip to the dealer for transmission problems.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
geneva said:
hey guys here's another trans problem to add. I have an 013 with just over 6700 mi. and most have been put on at track days. About two weeks ago I took the car into my dealer for a trans leak. They disassembled and replaced an input shaft seal, blanking plug, clutch system bleed. Was back on the track over the weekend at Road America and during the afternoon session the transmission got extremely hot (console and gear shift lever were hot to the touch) and having trouble engaging 4th & 5th. Back in the paddock I confirmed the trans was leaking again!! I dropped the car off at the dealer again this a.m. and could here some mechanical "clanking" noises on the way over. NOT GOOD!! At this point just waiting to hear from them and then the fun begins. Depending on the diagnosis should I accept a rebuild or new trans?? If it needs replacing do I then request a credit for an upgraded replacement and if so any recommendations on what to install? I love my Boss but starting to look over my shoulder at this point. So far I've had two coils replaced due to mis-fire codes, two blown rear axles seals (not at the same time), and now a second trip to the dealer for transmission problems.
I highly doubt they will give you credit towards an aftermarket transmission. Good luck with that. Since I have gotten a new replacement transmission in mine it's been awesome. I have it coupled with a McLeod rst, mgw shifter, dss shaft, upgraded transmission line, gt500 pedal cluster(same as removing the assist spring). Soon I will be installing the blowfish racing bracket to go with my bbr motor mounts and white line transmission insert.

If the same dealer can be avoid I would sounds like they didn't fix it right the first time.

geneva said:
Depending on the diagnosis should I accept a rebuild or new trans?? If it needs replacing do I then request a credit for an upgraded replacement and if so any recommendations on what to install? I love my Boss but starting to look over my shoulder at this point. So far I've had two coils replaced due to mis-fire codes, two blown rear axles seals (not at the same time), and now a second trip to the dealer for transmission problems.
Contrary to popular belief the MT-82 is not having systematic failures. The two main issues are shifter alignment that the Blowfish Racing bracket should fix and shifting lock out at high RPM's from the stock clutch not fully releasing. I think many of the trans failures have been caused by a bad clutch and there have been a lot of clutch failures. While you can request a replacement trans that will really be up to Ford's warranty department. It should be fine being rebuilt if your dealer has a skilled trans mechanic. You can ask but highly unlikely they will give you credit towards a transmission of your choosing. Good luck with the repairs.

Update on my transmission. Ford Warranty replaced the reverse idler gear, shaft, seal, and synchros 1-3. I've driven it home only, with 2 spirited shifts, but not a full speed shift. Seems to work fine. I also bought a MGW Shifter, which is in the trunk, I'm waiting to see if the stock warranty repair does it's thing before I add any aftermarket issues. Service Manager had a black 5.0, spent most of his time showing me pictures of his car.

Funny side note but I flew home from the US with the shifter in my carry-on luggage. TSA Agent that pulled it aside was a Mustang owner. Told me all about his car, asked me about the shifter, sent me on my way. LOL.

skwerl

tree hugger
New forum member here but I'm not seeing a poll anywhere. I clicked the link on the first page and it redirected me back to the main forum page. I have 3600 miles on my 2014 with the MT-82 and already have clunking noises coming from the output shaft area. I can turn it by hand and have about 1/4" slop with the trans in 1st gear.

skwerl said:
New forum member here but I'm not seeing a poll anywhere. I clicked the link on the first page and it redirected me back to the main forum page. I have 3600 miles on my 2014 with the MT-82 and already have clunking noises coming from the output shaft area. I can turn it by hand and have about 1/4" slop with the trans in 1st gear.
The poll is in the thread below. You should take your car to a dealer and have them check it out. Sounds more like a driveshaft or rear end issue to me.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=2935.0

skwerl

tree hugger
I had the car up on jack stands yesterday and had my own two hands on the trans output shaft as I wiggled it back and forth listening to it clunk. It is not the driveshaft or rear end. I may be new here but this isn't my first rodeo. I went through two 3650's before installing a T56 Magnum in my Bullitt.

For those who have replaced clutch with an aftermarket version, but are still running the MT82 transmission please provide update......
What brand clutch did you get?
Did it solve the high RPM lock out? Permanently? Temporarily?
If temporarily, how many track days until lock out returned?
If "permanently", how many track days do you have on the replacement clutch?
Thanks.

I'm watching the Blowfish adapter thread with interest, too.

Justin

I have a McLeod rst and lightened flywheel. Also had a centerforce dyad prior and both fixed my problem of pedal sticking to the floor. That would cause it not to go in gear aka locked out. Haven't had it since I upgraded to a twin disc. And the pedal engagement and effort IMO is far superior to stock.

I know that some with the McLeod would still get a sticking pedal but removing then assist spring would cure that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Justin

I have about 6k on the McLeod and about the same or more on the centerforce. And I shift at 8.1k all the time when I drive it to and from work. No issues at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TMO Supporting Vendors