The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss tune and cold air

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just wondering if anyone has installed a tune or cold air on their 2012 boss? I have a roush cold air that was on my 2011 gt that looks like it would fit. I dont know of any mail order tunes though.

Please keep us updated if you add one. It is a mod I am considering and would like to hear your feedback on it.
If you custom tune what happens when you get programmed for Trackey?

I will be putting the JLT on my son's 2010 GT this weekend.

2012Boss said:
I am not going to mess with the Boss, only the trackey for me. I know TMS did it to a Boss you may want to ask them what they did. TMSautosports.com I think is the site.
Yea I'm going to need to see some serious evidence that the after-market with limited R&D can write a safe tune that will result in significant lap time improvements before I'd go there on the Boss. It's not a drag car where you're just trying to max out peak hp/tq. I think the "tricks" in TracKey are going to be more relevant for the road course, which is where my Boss plays.

2012Boss said:
I am not going to mess with the Boss, only the trackey for me.
Same here with maybe a K&N filter for good measure. I'll check and see what the race teams are running next week. ;)

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
I'd be wary of any aftermarket tune, more than a handful of GT 5.0s have popped due to over-aggressive tuning. Seeing as how the aftermarket tuners don't even completely understand the Coyote 5.0, no way in hell would I put an aftermarket tune on my Roadrunner.

Just wait for the TracKey. It'll be worth it--and it'll be covered by your warranty.

ArizonaGT said:
I'd be wary of any aftermarket tune, more than a handful of GT 5.0s have popped due to over-aggressive tuning. Seeing as how the aftermarket tuners don't even completely understand the Coyote 5.0, no way in hell would I put an aftermarket tune on my Roadrunner.

Just wait for the TracKey. It'll be worth it--and it'll be covered by your warranty.
Good advice.

DigiCowboy said:
I will be putting the JLT on my son's 2010 GT this weekend.

In the case of the 2010 GT, we just installed the CAI and tuned. It's a quick and easy job. Defnitely some nice bang for the buck.

But as a lot of you say, I am holding off for the Boss, because that seems to be the whole point of the Trackey. When they program the PCM for the Trackey won't it overwrite most of the parameters of another custom tune anyway?

It's my understanding there are two ecu''u installed in the vehicle, one is used for the trackey tune. Part of the hold up, I think, is proving that there are enough fail safes in place so that the car doesn't revert over to the trackey tune with the normal black key + what ever money make scheme the debt ridden CA state gov.can come up with to collect some extra money from ford before giving them a thumbs up. Maybe I'm wrong but it sure looks that way to me.

GA
racered302 said:
It's my understanding there are two ecu''u installed in the vehicle, one is used for the trackey tune. Part of the hold up, I think, is proving that there are enough fail safes in place so that the car doesn't revert over to the trackey tune with the normal black key + what ever money make scheme the debt ridden CA state gov.can come up with to collect some extra money from ford before giving them a thumbs up. Maybe I'm wrong but it sure looks that way to me.

I think so too, and that Ford maybe did not realize that they would be up against this when it was in the planning. The envisioned Track Key may eventually end up being strictly a Ford Racing aftermarket thing by having a Track Key ECU installed by the dealer. In the meantime Track Key may unfortunately be dialed back to meet all standards.

TMO Supporting Vendors