The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss under the knife

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jza1736 said:
Yes, when they call me tomorrow I will find out.

I found that if I kept my hand on the shifter with just a little pressure, and ease off the clutch I could tell when it was going to spit it out and stop it from happening, just with the slight pressure towards first gear. Probably 80% of the time I could prevent it. Hope that helps while you are waiting for a fix

Exactly. I naturally tend to push the lever to the left, then push straight up. I have been able to avoid it kicking out by continuing to apply left pressure all the way until it goes into gear. Doing so, if it notches two times, it will kick out. If I feel it only notch twice, I pull it down then back up. If it notches 3 times it is in. I don't know how better to explain it. But if I push straight up then I can't tell if it is in or not as I don't feel the 3rd notch. I will be getting the MGW eventually and hopefully that fixes it, but for now I just have to be really careful.

Let us know if the spring helps please ;D

Another thing I noticed is that if I bleed the clutch, for 3-400 miles I don't have any kick outs or lock outs. I'm going to try flushing to dot 4 and see if that helps.

Shifter should not have anything to do with the kicking out sounds more like a shift fork issue. Th mgw will not fix a shift fork issue but it a 100% needed part for these cars. When I put it into 1st at a cold start I feel two notches and this is normal from all the other cars Ive driven a third sounds weird.

The third one is right at the top. It almost feels like the 3rd gear lock out when it doesn't go into the last notch but very subtle like something is blocking the last couple mm of travel. Pushing and wiggling will not get it in the last bit, it needs to be pulled out and put back in. I suspect it is alignment combined with the clutch having air in it. But that is just my impression based on how it feels.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
CaliMR said:
The third one is right at the top. It almost feels like the 3rd gear lock out when it doesn't go into the last notch but very subtle like something is blocking the last couple mm of travel. Pushing and wiggling will not get it in the last bit, it needs to be pulled out and put back in. I suspect it is alignment combined with the clutch having air in it. But that is just my impression based on how it feels.
Sounds to me like a shift fork. My T-45 did the very same thing in first and 3rd it would kick it out of gear. then one day it just locked itself into third gear. Turned out the shift fork was bent which eventually allowed the shift fork pin to fall out. Does it feel the same with the car not running?

Update...

Got the Boss back today and the oil change and inspection are done.

They said monitor the oil level and bring it in if it gets low and to bring it back in 1000 miles for a check up.

I went and talked directly to the mechanic and not the counter person that had been calling me for the past week. He said they ordered a new first gear, a fork, and new synchros. When they come in, they will open it up and begin the work. Then depending on what they find, they will order whatever else they need. They just wanted to have the other parts ready to go first.

This is the first car I have bought from this dealership and they seem to be doing everything they can to get my Boss working correctly. They offered me a loaner for the previous week and said they can get me one when the parts come in while they do the repair. The Boss is not my DD, so I declined. I don't need something happening to their loaner car.

To fellow Boss owners that have dealers that don't want to help or check out your concerns, the best advice I have for you is find another dealer. I do realize that is easier said than done when they are not close. I will keep updating as I get more info. Hopefully that will help you get the bad dealers to help your problems get fixed. I will also try to get pics of any bad parts they find

Please do, I doubt they will fix the 1st kick outs for other people unless it can be replicated by the tech and it is very intermittent so that is going to be tough.

I drove around for an hour today and it happened twice. The mechanic said it did it on his test drive, so I was lucky that his test drive was long enough for it to happen.

Update...

The parts came in last week:
1 bolt - shift Fork
1 Hub - synchroni
1 gear - 1st
1 ring - sychron
1 bearing asy

I dropped the boss off this morning and told the mechanic I would like to see whatever defective parts come out. Hopefully that's all they will need. Otherwise the Boss will be layed up waiting for parts.

Well that sounds expensive if it were out of pocket. Mine won't do it on test drives so they won't touch it. Hope it works for you.

Update....

After bringing the car back and forth to the dealership, they finally took it and started the work on 9/4. They were waiting for parts, then the tech was on vacation, then it was labor day. So, a week later they have everything apart :(

First gear problem:
First gear had some bad teeth, synchros burned, and second gear synchros were toast too. They ordered a new second gear and synchros and are just waiting for the parts.

Oil consumption problem:
After the oil change and waiting for the parts to fix first gear I put 700 miles on the car and burned 1 quart of oil. They will top it off and I have to bring it back any time it's short. They will document mileage and oil consumption. If the car consumes more than 1 qt every 3000 miles they will be replacing the engine. Whether it will be a short block or long block will be decided later and they said is pretty much up to Ford, but if the car burns a lot of oil they will definitely do the long block. From March to August I added 7 qts. So, we will see what happens with that.

Thanks for the updates.

Mine still kicks out of gear sometimes, but dealer can't confirm, so I would have to go out of pocket to get the gears checked. Let us know if it fixes everything, when you finally get it back.

TMO Supporting Vendors