The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss under the knife

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

In march, she started slurping the black juice. She drank 7 quarts and they are checking that out. Then in June she started to have another problem. From a dead stop, clutch fully depressed, put her into first gear, go to take off normal, no hard acceleraton. She will grind or spit it back to neutral. I went away in July, when I came back she went right to the dealership. She's been there since Wednesday and they are waiting on Ford to see how to proceed. Any ideas as what it could be? And/or comments on what I should expect from Ford?
Thanks

zzyzx

Steve
Well, you obviously have two unrelated issues.

As to the tranny, have you changed out the original oil? Given the vast improvements with an improved shift linkage (e.g. MGW), and a high quality oil (e.g. MTL), this might solve your issue.

A lot of other folks have reported burning "above average" amounts of oil. 7 qts in how many miles? Track use? Is this a commuter car seeing a lot of short trips? You still using Motorcraft 5-50?

zzyzx said:
Well, you obviously have two unrelated issues.

As to the tranny, have you changed out the original oil? Given the vast improvements with an improved shift linkage (e.g. MGW), and a high quality oil (e.g. MTL), this might solve your issue.

No, after hearing a few stories about the MT82 I did a fluid swap after my first track event, but done by the dealership with OEM fluids. I'll stay with OEM until warranty is up

A lot of other folks have reported burning "above average" amounts of oil. 7 qts in how many miles? Track use? Is this a commuter car seeing a lot of short trips? You still using Motorcraft 5-50?
Weekend warrior. First oil change 9/2011 after first track event 2400 miles. She now has 7500 miles and only 1 track day (may 31st) since my last oil change. Oil started burning in march. Also OEM fluid and dealer does my oil changes.

My tranny has done that intermittently since day 1, it got a bit better for a while then got worse. It does it in 2nd sometimes too. Dealer "could not confirm" so they did nothing. The only thing I have found that helps is bleeding the clutch. I do it about every 300 miles now. It used to do it maybe 1/10 now it is like 1/50 if I keep it bled. Have you had any other clutch issues? Mine was also sticking 1/2 way down though that "could not confirm" as well. I also have frequent lock outs on 3rd and sometimes 4th when the tranny is hot. If your dealer believes you, and is willing to take a look at it, then you are a step ahead of me.

Frequent clutch bleeds help with all of the tranny issues I have, not just the 1st kicking out.

No other issues. Tranny has been great. The dealer's mechanic was able to reproduce my complaint. That's why they believe me. I just don't understand why they are waiting on Ford to proceed. Don't they have to take it apart to figure out what's causing it now? Whether Ford is covering it or not

zzyzx

Steve
I've read oil analyses and comments to the effect that the Motorcraft 5-50 shears easily and loses its viscosity. It appears you have quite a few miles on your current oil. I would do an oil change and monitor it. If it in fact stops losing oil, then it could be a result of the viscosity change. (EDIT: In fact, you should send a sample in for oil analysis)

As to the tranny, I wouldn't expect the techs to start taking things apart until they have an idea of what the issue could be. Like CaliMR it could be something as simple as a clutch bleed, the infamous return spring, etc. In fact, if I were you, I'd read up collect the info, and take it to the dealership and start asking questions/offering "here's what I read that has happened to other people".

Thanks, it is at the dealership now waiting for ford.

And I had the oil changed too. I haven't heard anyone with this problem before. That's why I posted it.

I'm also know nothing about tranny components or auto repair. I just learned how to bleed my brakes and change rotors and pads.

Are you sure you are burning oil? And to be certain add a catch can on the passenger to make sure. I purchased one from "American Muscle" made by JLT that works really well.

http://search.americanmuscle.com/redirect?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.americanmuscle.com%2Fjlt-oil-separator-11gt.html

That is on my list of mods, just havnt gotten around to that one yet. The dealership is looking into it. I guess I'll know more next week

Senderofan

Having more fun than should be allowed..in my Boss
badasbullitt said:
Are you sure you are burning oil? And to be certain add a catch can on the passenger to make sure. I purchased one from "American Muscle" made by JLT that works really well.

http://search.americanmuscle.com/redirect?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.americanmuscle.com%2Fjlt-oil-separator-11gt.html

Put one on mine since it had 200 miles on the clock. It's amazing....the volume of oil that passes into the collection can.

Wayne

Senderofan said:
badasbullitt said:

Put one on mine since it had 200 miles on the clock. It's amazing....the volume of oil that passes into the collection can.

Wayne

So, do you have to add a quart of oil every month? Even if it is going into the catch can, 7 quarts from September to June seems excessive.

Jza1736 said:
Even if it is going into the catch can, 7 quarts from September to June seems excessive.
Jason, for the number of miles and only one track day, that certainly seems excessive. Your engine should be well broken in by now so it would seem something's not right if you're burning through that much oil. Hopefully they'll work to find the problem.

Thanks Gary,
I think they will since they are waiting on Ford. Just not sure as to what they are waiting on?? I'm pretty sure Ford will take care of the problem. The car is not abused and well maintained.

Senderofan said:
badasbullitt said:

Wayne
I get maybe 1/2 teaspoon every 4-5 track days and a thousand street miles.

cloud9 said:
I get maybe 1/2 teaspoon every 4-5 track days and a thousand street miles.
I'm about the same. My friend drained at least an ounce from his at Sonoma today, way more than I've had in mine cumulatively.

UPDATE...

Ford responded and told the dealer to replace a spring associated with the shifter. It will be there tomorrow and they will install immediately and try and get me car back to me tomorrow.

I'm no mechanic, but that sounds like a band aid type fix. I hope it works, as I have had no other problems with the car.

No info about the oil consumption yet

Could you ask them what spring it is? The dealer refuses to look at my tranny since it is intermittent, but I might be able to install it myself. I have gotten to the point I can usually predict when it will kick out of first, and have started putting it back in neutral then back into 1st when it seems like it is going to do it which seems to work, but I rather have it actually fixed.

Yes, when they call me tomorrow I will find out.

I found that if I kept my hand on the shifter with just a little pressure, and ease off the clutch I could tell when it was going to spit it out and stop it from happening, just with the slight pressure towards first gear. Probably 80% of the time I could prevent it. Hope that helps while you are waiting for a fix

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
Jza1736 said:
UPDATE...

Ford responded and told the dealer to replace a spring associated with the shifter. It will be there tomorrow and they will install immediately and try and get me car back to me tomorrow.

I'm no mechanic, but that sounds like a band aid type fix. I hope it works, as I have had no other problems with the car.

the stock shifter has no springs the center spring is internal. even so it should have nothing to do with it kicking it out of gear. sounds like a bad shift fork/syncro.

Sounds like they are just guessing to me.

Justin said:
Jza1736 said:
UPDATE...

the stock shifter has no springs the center spring is internal. even so it should have nothing to do with it kicking it out of gear. sounds like a bad shift fork/syncro.

Sounds like they are just guessing to me.

Agreed. I'm thinking because they don't want to take it all apart.

TMO Supporting Vendors