The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss vs 1LE - fair comparison

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

batman48195

I never get tired of driving it!
I think this is a well written fair comparison.

http://m.automobilemag.com/reviews/driven/1208_2013_chevrolet_camaro_ss_1le_vs_2013_ford_mustang_boss_302/

I especially like this quote.

The raucous Mustang installs itself in your subconscious with the viciousness of a drug addiction. Despite knowing there's an objectively better alternative with a Chevy badge, we are lured back to the Boss again and again. Its responsive chassis, competent handling, and brawny engine strike us in a psychological weak spot where emotions overrule sensibilities.

Brian

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
1LE faster around a road course? We'll I guess then that a simple upgrade of pads as rubber (as I have done) must really make a monumental difference in the Boss, 'cuz I've seen the ZL1 up close and personal and it's a tank on a road course. They expect us to believe this thing will also take a Boss on a twisty track? PLEASE !!!! ;D The only accurate thing they said was that the Boss shifter is sub-par.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
AZ - even that is misleading sometimes unless you believe in the driver... And when they do get lap times they should use a driver that can drive a damn Boss correctly at it's limits.

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
Best '1LE vs Boss' Comparison yet

Hit the nail squarely on the head, IMHO, and not just because I agree with the author's conclusions.

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/driven/1208_2013_chevrolet_camaro_ss_1le_vs_2013_ford_mustang_boss_302/

ArizonaGT said:
Show me the laptimes.
This. They mention the 1LE is faster yet don't provide any lap times. What's up with that? ???

I don't know why people think a 1LE won't match a Boss on a road course. It is going to depend on the track. The Camaro has more torque, bigger tires, Brembos on all four corners, and IRS, not to mention the transmission we wish we had in our cars. Chevy had a target to shoot for in the Boss, and they tuned the car to the N'th degree to hit the target. They put together a nice package that met their goal.

The Camaro is still a bathtub with a terrible interior. We all chose the Boss knowing what the Camaro is, and that hasn't changed.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
The only thing it has over the Boss that matters in stock form is the tires and brake pads. Brembos all around don't mean anything assuming you are using good pads. The IRS is a drawback compared to how the Boss puts the power down with it's live axle. The 'extra torque' is actually not a a benefit, that engines breaths like a pig compared to ours and spins up like a turtle compared to ours. The only real benefit is the active suspension but I believe it's weight counteracts that benfit to some extent.

I realize that all my comments are fodder until we see a head to head comparison, but even with a stock comparison does that really tell us which is a better car to purchase for the track ? If the purchase of better pads, camber plates, wider sticky rubber and an MGW shifter (less that a $5K investment) push the Boss beyond what a 1LE (or ZL1 for that matter) can do in anyone's hands, then what would you want to but a GM tank car ? I'm passionate about this becuase I'm sick of OBama and the media bailing out GM. If you want a kick ass GM car you need to buy a Z06 or a ZR1 and drop some heavy coin in the process. And then just wait for the engine to blow a rod.... ;D

PeteInCT

Connecticut
Well you know SteveEspo and I saw the ZL1 at LimeRock. Damn shame he wasn't in our run groups, however the group he was in gave him opportunity to pass whomever he wanted and not have to worry at all on who was coming up on him. I'll assume the guy is a decent driver since he makes a living driving and writing on high performance cars. And we know what happened there....

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
I've been merged! :D

I don't think Boss owners should be butt hurt about 1LE having a better lap time on 1 track during a manufacturers 'test'. Does anyone here think that the M3 that Ford Racing targeted to beat on the Laguna Seca track couldn't post a better time than that same Boss on a different track? I'd have to agree with all the other posts to the effect of 'see you on the track...'

The simple fact that the Boss was purpose built as a RCWALP and the 1LE is an option package on top of an overweight bathtub.

I thought this was the best sentence in the article;

"The 1LE package comes off as a fix for what was broken rather than improving on an already excellent car."

I really don't think that Boss owner's have much to worry about a race prepped 1LE. Think of the Boss as Itchy mauling the 1LE Scratchy. He-he. Let the magazine comparos begin!

Gentlemen,
The numbers, or which is faster by a half-second, or which can stop better, means nothing to me. I have been riding Harleys for many years, knowing all the time that there are other bikes that beat it in just about every way to measure performance. However, you can't measure "soul", for lack of a better term.

I am 53 years old, and never had a desire for a new car my whole life. I have always driven pickup trucks. My only car before the Boss is my 1973 Mach 1. Never cared for any new Mustang, even the Shelby, but when I first heard that Ford was bringing back the Boss, I ordered a new Competition Orange Boss 302 last August, with both options. Picked it up last October. Took out the exhaust restrictor plates when I got home. Got the Trackey program installed when it became available. I love the Boss. The Camaro don't do anything for me. The other Mustangs don't do anything for me.

It is not about absolute numbers, power-to-weight ratios, skid pad data, nor anything else. I like the way the Boss makes me feel. Camaros are for girls.

Jeff Quinn

Stangs.jpg

CrashTex

Too swift arrives as tardy as too slow
Well said, Jeff.

To all of the Camaro owners, I'd like to remind them that their car is *probably* not going to turn into a giant talking robot, even if it's yellow. Putting a Transformers logo on the car is not going to help.

Besides, it might anger the Decepticons when they arrive to conquer Earth.

Just sayin.

MA
PeteInCT said:
The only thing it has over the Boss that matters in stock form is the tires and brake pads. Brembos all around don't mean anything assuming you are using good pads. The IRS is a drawback compared to how the Boss puts the power down with it's live axle. The 'extra torque' is actually not a a benefit, that engines breaths like a pig compared to ours and spins up like a turtle compared to ours. The only real benefit is the active suspension but I believe it's weight counteracts that benfit to some extent.

I realize that all my comments are fodder until we see a head to head comparison, but even with a stock comparison does that really tell us which is a better car to purchase for the track ? If the purchase of better pads, camber plates, wider sticky rubber and an MGW shifter (less that a $5K investment) push the Boss beyond what a 1LE (or ZL1 for that matter) can do in anyone's hands, then what would you want to but a GM tank car ? I'm passionate about this becuase I'm sick of OBama and the media bailing out GM. If you want a kick ass GM car you need to buy a Z06 or a ZR1 and drop some heavy coin in the process. And then just wait for the engine to blow a rod.... ;D

Well said my friend. Agree with you on every point. I'm passionate about it too, because I'm sick of the media in general, especially when the media is fanning the flames of GM fan-boy-ism. Why would anyone want a 3880 lb track car?! The Boss is heavy enough as it is!

You're right, the Z06 is awesome, minus it's propensity to drop the motor when driven the way it is supposed to be. And the ZR1 is just plain sick.

I cannot wait to see a ZL1 or 1LE at the track, stip, or the street. My Boss is ready, and so am I. Bring it. I do have respect for the ZL1 on a road course though, not too concerned with the 1LE until I see one in person. Regular Camaro SS's are so easy to pull away from, I just don't see the 1LE being in the same league as a Boss. The ZL1 pretty much is though.

TMO Supporting Vendors