The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss vs 1LE

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Please keep the discussion focused on the Boss vs the 1LE.

Seven

Dacia Sandero
Re: Re: Boss vs 1LE

unrealford said:
I haven't seen any argument in this thread what's so ever?
the argument made... in the very first post is 1LE vs Boss - that's what I was referring to.
I wasn't referring to INDIVIDUALS having an argument.

cbj5259 said:
+1 I must have missed the argument too? I didn't see any Camaro guys arguing with Boss guys. Just a bunch of Mustang Boss fans hypothesizing. I wouldn't classify that as arguing.

I have drivin( and still do regularly) the Camaro, the Boss, the Vette, I like my Boss, wouldnt trade it for any of the others. The Boss has something that none of the other cars have. get in your car, drive it around the block and think about that. then there is no discussion needed about whether you bought the right car or not, you know you did.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Has anyone seen or run against one of these unicorns? We had a journalist with a ZL1 come to Lime Rock last fall, both Pete and I were quicker than him but we did have R comps vs stock ZL1 tires. But I haven't seen a 1LE car yet. It does have some cool tech with the mag shocks, but power to weight is a lot worse than with Boss cars. I too would like to see some more magazine comparison with same driver, same day, same track. One Chevy I know I can't keep up with is the ZR1!! Ran against a few of those last year and the have it all, power, braking and handling. Z06s are very stout too. At those price points I woul have a Ford GT or a GT3RS as my track toy.
Steve

unrealford

Mustang owner since 84

steveespo said:
Has anyone seen or run against one of these unicorns? We had a journalist with a ZL1 come to Lime Rock last fall, both Pete and I were quicker than him but we did have R comps vs stock ZL1 tires. But I haven't seen a 1LE car yet. It does have some cool tech with the mag shocks, but power to weight is a lot worse than with Boss cars. I too would like to see some more magazine comparison with same driver, same day, same track. One Chevy I know I can't keep up with is the ZR1!! Ran against a few of those last year and the have it all, power, braking and handling. Z06s are very stout too. At those price points I woul have a Ford GT or a GT3RS as my track toy.
Steve
Ford GT, my dream car.

steveespo said:
But I haven't seen a 1LE car yet. It does have some cool tech with the mag shocks, but power to weight is a lot worse than with Boss cars.
Steve

I don't believe the 1LE gets the magnetic shocks of the ZL1.

It's basically an SS with stiffer suspension, better brakes, better tires, the close ratio TR6060 transmission from the ZL1, and 3.91 gears.

Some more "data" from Road & Track's Road Test Summary:

Horsepower:

1LE: 426
LS: 444

Torque:

1LE: 420
LS: 380

Weight:

1LE: 3878
LS: 3690

0-60:

1LE: 4.7
LS: 4.1

0-100:

1LE: 10.9
LS: 9.1

1/4 Mile:

1LE: 13.1 @ 109.0
LS: 12.3 @ 117.2

60-0:

1LE: 108
LS: 112

100-0:

1LE: 191
LS: 191

Skidpad:

1LE: 0.99
LS: 1.02

Slalom:

1LE: 71.9
LS: 74.0

IMO, It's always easier for a competitor to best a car that is already out and has a known performance level. If the Boss was their target and they beat it then it is no surprise. GM is just continuing with their "me, too" strategy ever since the Mustang hit the market. If it was their target and they fail then their stockholders need to clean house.

I can't speak for the 1LE but just drove the ZL1 and its fast at the track. Brakes feel better, way more grip and is very planted.
I ran a 1:33:4 in the ZL1 stock Fastest I've run in my boss is 1:32:8 but on rs3 tires with camber plates, sways and springs. Think fully stock maybe 1:36.

Based on those numbers from Road and Track you wouldn't think the 1LE has any advantage with the exception of braking...its heavier and slower accelerating, but as Rick said I think they are close enough that the driver would make all the difference.

steveespo said:
Has anyone seen or run against one of these unicorns?

Funny. I work by a Chevrolet dealer that is fairly performance biased. I've seen 5-7 ZL1's and countless SS, Corvettes, and Z06 there. I'm looking but so far NADA.

I also do not believe magazine/internet articles. The 1LE is a new vehicle from Government Motors. GM pays for advertising. If R&T or C&D slams the bosses new car the magazines could loose money.

As Devil's Advocate, remember how the magazines gushed over the 5.0 back in 2011

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Sorry, thought the 1LE got the mag shocks. As far as Z06s I can keep up with C5s and some C6s depends on drivers, I would never own a Chevy no matter how quick. I do not dear 1LE and will push hard against ZL1's if they show up, heat soak gets to all supercharged cars on road courses, the intercooler coolant can't drop the charge temp to maintain peak boost safely. They still make HP but less than when they are cool or on a drag run.

Of course driver means everything, I am by no means a pro but a fair amateur. A good driver in a fair car will beat a green driver in a fast car all day.

Unfortunately all my Z06 buddies can drive :D With 500 less lbs, 60 more hp and 1-1.5" more rubber, not to mention the aero differences, the C6 Z06 has a lot of physics on its side over the Boss.

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
cloud9 said:
Unfortunately all my Z06 buddies can drive :D With 500 less lbs, 60 more hp and 1-1.5" more rubber, not to mention the aero differences, the C6 Z06 has a lot of physics on its side over the Boss.
You are correct about the C6 cars they are stout. Corvettes are very good track cars, just not for me, too much Ford blood in my family.

steveespo said:
You are correct about the C6 cars they are stout. Corvettes are very good track cars, just not for me, too much Ford blood in my family.
Agreed. 13 Fords currently and not even a thought of a GM vehicle in my future.

steveespo said:
Same here. Now a Porsche is another story... ;D Was hanging with a guy today that had a 2012 997 TT with intake, exhaust and tune. All the aftermarket parts cost about as much as our cars. Anyway it was stinking fast but never seen a track.

ufnavy06

Some say he has a tattoo of his face on his face.
As an aside, my wife and I are staying at a hotel while trying to find a house here in Cali and there's a ZL1 in the parking lot. We are about 2 miles from Laguna Seca, so it's at least in the ball park of being on the track. It might have some sort of magnetic opposition ;) to going on a track when it gets within a few miles of one.

I'm not a racer (although I'm going to Track Attack in May), but I appreciate unique cars and I'm an old guy from the 60's/70's Muscle Car era when we drove all of them from Ford, GM, Mopar, etc.

When I saw that the Boss was being made again for a 2 year run, I knew that I had to have one, simply because of all the cars that I owned, that I wish I still and more than that, the one's I missed out on; like the original Boss 302.

Our Bosses are fantastic vehicles even before mods. And now we are the end of the production run.

We have something unique. I think Chevy really missed it; I remember the COPO Chevelle that I ALMOST bought! They should have come out with the COPO Camaro; but it really doesn't matter. I think we will appreciate our Boss 302's more and more as the days/years go by, whether we race them, street them or park them.

Not many of us are owners and that's a big thank you to the folks at Ford, who had the guts to make the Boss a reality again.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel