The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss vs 1LE

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I've read countless articles and I'm sure you all have too that the 1LE is the Boss killer and beat the LS by 4 seconds (some articles even claiming 4.5) around the VIR. This means the 1LE can beat my car around that track by at least 5 seconds right? I'm getting this number based on the differences in track times between the LS and a regular Boss. The LS is about 1-2 seconds faster around Laguna Seca? Is this correct?

Based on what we know about both cars, how is this even possible? So they took the Camaro SS and put an extra $3500 in suspension, engine cooling, higher gear ratio, stickier tires blah blah and you get 4 seconds faster than the Boss??? It weighs more and has less hp and they're not comparing this to a regular GT with track pack (which they already did) but they're making these claims against an LS! WOW!

Regardless of what they say, I won't believe it until there is solid evidence or a video with the same driver (preferably Randy Pobst or Tanner Foust) raggin' both cars to the limits. I want to think I have the baddest performance car under $50K out of the factory - but according to almost every article comparing the two cars, I'm not so sure anymore. I will say that most authors would pick the boss at the end of the day, but can anyone else in here help me cheer up? I'll be mean-muggin' every camaro I see on the way home tonight. :)

BossBW_zps30c57261.jpg

I know there is one video on YT featuring a 012 Boss vs a 010 Camaro after one lap the Boss is ahead by 2 sec. Now for the 1LE it is for sure a better Camaro ( Stickier tires, better tune suspension, more suitable track rear end ratio and a few more thing ) it will probably give the Boss a good run for the money, saying that it will blow him completely away is something else. Most of these comparaison test are not made on the same day, wheater,and often not with the same driver so iI take some and leave some. ???

As of the LS being faster than the Boss, I think it is a Tire issue.. ;)

cloud9 said:
I'll believe it the first time I point one by. Of course I would have to actually see a Camaro at the track for that to happen.
I saw a Transformer, er I mean Camaro at LS once. :eek:

The biggest problem I have with most test comparisons is that they don't match the tires. IMO, match the tires then compare, since factory tires are generally crap and enthusiasts generally replace them quickly anyways.

Not saying this happened but it is a well known fact that car companies stack the odds in thier favor a lot when they put a car out for testing. Thier test cars may or may not have the same equipment that the production car has. I wouldn't worry about it until you are seeing the back bumper of 1LE's more than once or twice at the track.

With some minor suspension upgrades and equal size wheels and tires, I believe that the difference would be minimal. I don't sweat this much as I rarely if have ever seen one of these on the street or the track for that matter....

Tulsa, OK
cloud9 said:
I'll believe it the first time I point one by. Of course I would have to actually see a Camaro at the track for that to happen.

Ha! I saw my first camaro at the track a few weeks ago. It was a new ZL1 and the guy only stayed for two sessions. Passed him up a time or two before he left for the day.

What I have read about the comparison, is the difference is the tire size. I think the Boss has 9" and 9.5" and the Camaro has 10" tires all around.

Dave

Dont know if i can trust these comparisons.....but if it is true its solely due to thier choice of rubber and tire size. They definately get the edge in rubber.

unrealford

Mustang owner since 84
Re: Boss vs 1LE

I'm all Mustang but from all reviews , its a no brainer the Camaro has done us in.
Its not to say you would lose, but same driver in each car the Camaro will win.
Better rubber, better suspension, It will be a more consistant track time also.
But there's less visability, less headroom,

unrealford said:
I'm all Mustang but from all reviews , its a no brainer the Camaro has done us in.
Its not to say you would lose, but same driver in each car the Camaro will win.
Better rubber, better suspension, It will be a more consistant track time also.
But there's less visability, less headroom,

Im no suspension expert.......but do you think that fancy shmancy suspension will hold up on the camaro after numerous track days? im still not 100 percent sure how that works....but it seems like more fancy stuff to break

Seven

Dacia Sandero
First I'll say I crossed shopped both cars and bought the Boss because of the seats (seriously, that was the main reason).

Next I'll say, threads like this suck because I doubt many (if any at all) are good enough of a hot-shoe to get the lap times from a either car that a pro driver can.
Buy what YOU LIKE, and then drive it hard... if you were Michael Schumacher you wouldn't be even considering wasting your time thinking of buying a 1LE or a Boss anyway.

Lastly... Some other car will always make more power, have better laptimes, or even have better seats - it just depends what you enjoy overall.
I know the last C5 I owned would probably walk all over my boss on a track... I like my Boss better because is 95% the car my C5 was, but way more comfortable and way more usable OFF the track, which counts for a lot.

unrealford

Mustang owner since 84

Agree, I'd take the Boss because I'm more of a Mustang person and its what I love.
My very very first car was a Mustang. I don't think it's any accident I ended up working for Ford. LoL.

Boss vs 1LE

If I'm not mistaken the 1LE used for this testing is the pre production version...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

This guys is right...I was thinking of bringing a ruler to this thread but considering we are all stang fans, I thought it wasn't necessary.

unrealford

Mustang owner since 84
Re: Re: Boss vs 1LE

yankeehick said:
This guys is right...I was thinking of bringing a ruler to this thread but considering we are all stang fans, I thought it wasn't necessary.
I haven't seen any argument in this thread what's so ever?

Back in Black said:
The camaro comes with rear view delete option.

LOL!

While I haven't seen a 1LE on the track yet, I have seen a ZL1 a few times since a friend owns one and comes out to the track with me often. He can usually pass me in the long straights but I'm right back on his ass in the turns. Maybe the 1LE without the giant superchager has better weight distribution, I dunno.

It all comes down to the how good the driver is and how far they are will to push the car. No matter what happens durning a comparision someone will always argue this was different or that was different and thats why it lost. Who really cares, go drive the car and have fun.

Re: Re: Boss vs 1LE

unrealford said:
I haven't seen any argument in this thread what's so ever?

+1 I must have missed the argument too? I didn't see any Camaro guys arguing with Boss guys. Just a bunch of Mustang Boss fans hypothesizing. I wouldn't classify that as arguing.

TMO Supporting Vendors