The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss vs. 2014 Z28

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

It's amazing that Chevy is still using the 2 year old Boss as a benchmark ; )

Z28 is said to be 60-70K so Boss with a few mods would hang.

[youtube]tv8I-gqc6sc[/youtube]

It's a poor comparison. Chevy switched to independent suspension to beat Ford in handling, and with a wider stance, actual track tires, 80 more horse power they are 4sec faster? That sucks actually. I'm not impressed. A 7.0 liter engine also. Take the GT500 engine and drop it in the next 2015 Mustang with independent suspension and it will smoke the Z28. I'm so happy I have one of the last straight axle Mustang. 99% of the people will never track their car, but quite a few will run the 1/4mile cause it's much, much cheaper. All those Camaro's with crappy launch control lose, especially at the track near me ATCO Raceway. The Shelby's run consistently in the 11's with stock tires using Ford's launch control which works. All the Chevy's forums say to never use the launch control because it's crap on the Camaro's. The Copo Camaro runs a straight axle because it's lighter and better on the straight track. Well I'll stop ranting...Lol. We'll see what holds it value in 20 years, plus it will be lot's of fun smokin the Z28's on the 1/4 tracks, cause they won't be able to keep their tires from spinning at the start.

Chris

I dont think Z28 owners will ever be found on a quarter mile track, just like a Boss 302S.

I agree, I am not sure why Chevy is using a Boss 302 LS as a comparison, considering its 20-30K cheaper than the Z28.

They destroyed the mustang and then go on to say they are actually aiming for 911s and GTRs.

I'm also sick of auto comparisons that do not level the Tire variable. Is it that hard to get the same tires on all cars. Anyone with half a brain's worth of knowledge in tracking, knows exactly how big of a difference tires can have on a lap time.

Cant wait for an IRS mustang powered by a Ford small block. Ford is doing exactly what the GTR did to the supercar world, and is proving bigger isn't always better.

The camparisons aren't exactly apples to apples - I agree. I do agree that when the bow tie guys had to pick the best Mustang to compare on the track, the Boss LS was indeed the best Ford had. Having said that, the power numbers the 427 Z/28 has over the 302 Boss LS are just to much to overcome. No shame in that. As others have said, you drop a state of the art Ford V8, naturally aspirated and with about the same displacement in the current S197 Boss and the comparison would be more appropriate. Then consider a 500 hp twin-turbo ecoboost in the new Mustang platform coming out, and all bets are off - the way heavier Z/28 would be hard pressed to outperform a lighter, more nimble Pony. Just sayin...

Still, it sounds like the new Camaro is pretty balls-out. No clear indications on pricing yet. Hard to imagine it will be under $55k, tho. I love that the competition continues between the Boss and the Z/28 45 years on now.

The 5th gen camaro will never impress me. The z-28 has no ac carbon fiber every where and is still heavier than the boss. Its way to big. Sure it is faster but I would hope so with a $60-$70k price tag. That ls7 is a hell of an engine though 7.0 liters and its smaller and lighter than these ford mod motors; plus it has a dry sump. Ive always been a bigger fan of the ls1 camaros than the mustangs of the past. The 98-02 camaros remained competive if not faster than the gt mustangs all the way up to 2010. But now it is no comparison Ford is definitely on top, and thats why I have betrayed my roots and now drive a mustang :)

Also its sad that chevrolet compares the z-28 to a car thats been out of production for a year and cost 2/3 the amount of money it does.

The new z28 is cool but added cost plus dealer markup and r compounds carbon ceramic brakes etc etc dont really make it a "fair" comparison
Not that anything is fair but its like bringing a shotgun bow hunting

TIRES TIRES TIRES. JUST ADD TIRES. That is the primary advantage. Tune a Boss up and put even smaller 285's sport cups than the Z-28 has all the way around and then see what happens. For the money, the Boss is still the better car given that you easily can mod it to be faster and save 25k.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Would say Barbaro is pretty accurate that tires are a big issue. Heck put a set of 305s on the rear, 285s in the front and that alone would likely make up 2 seconds. The rest is power , brakes and suspension, where the answer is simple again.........
1. Front Camber plates 2.5 to 2.7 degrees of negative camber
2. Girodisc or equivalent 2 piece rotors
3. Carbotech 24s in the front, 8s in the rear

It's going to close down and be close at that and likely the Z28 would still win on a high speed , long straightaway track, but on a tighter track where nimbleness and steering response was key, the Boss would likely be back.

Barbaro said:
TIRES TIRES TIRES. JUST ADD TIRES. That is the primary advantage. Tune a Boss up and put even smaller 285's sport cups than the Z-28 has all the way around and then see what happens. For the money, the Boss is still the better car given that you easily can mod it to be faster and save 25k.

I've been in a student's Z/28. All I can say is I'm glad you can actually see out of the boss, and know where you are in space! The equivalent in the boss would be reducing every window to 2/3 their size, windshield too! Coffin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=dtb-bGxHdZk

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
LTNYC said:
I've been in a student's Z/28. All I can say is I'm glad you can actually see out of the boss, and know where you are in space! The equivalent in the boss would be reducing every window to 2/3 their size, windshield too! Coffin

Larry

Have to agree with you. I rented a Camaro SS while in Salt Lake for BTA. Visibility is terrible in any Camaro!!!

The simple task of backing out of a diagonal parking spot is stressful. You cannot see to the rear and or off the rear quarters.

Tracy

TMO Supporting Vendors