The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss vs. 2015 and up GT

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
My son is interested in picking up a Mustang for the street and occasional track days.
He wants a boss, but the newer GT's are about the same money as a used Boss and easier to find and finance not to mention they come with a warranty.
So my question is, how track capable is the new GT? Are the brakes, suspension/cooling system etc. up to the job? I know there were a lot of upgrades to this platform, but is this base model suitable for the track? We expect to upgrade the usual wheels/tires/pads/fluid/springs/shocks stuff but how about the hard stuff? Cooling/caliper size/rotor size/transmission etc. We looked at a handful of youtube vids of folks tracking stock GT's and they all looked like they pushed profusely.
Granted the drivers we saw were all amateurs, but they looked pretty disappointing overall.

Anybody have input in this area...?

@captdistraction

Buy a 2015+ performance pack and don't look back. I'm a big fan of the S550 chassis.

Buy the S550. It is heavier, but with a few suspension tweaks is a fast track car. You will need to consider an open grill, diff cooler, and brake ducts.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I don't think you can go wrong with either. You already have all the stuff to support another S197. But if you go with the S550, I think you're better off with the performance package cars and bigger brakes. You could also look at '13/'14 GT track packs. Pretty good bang for the buck on those too.

I think the push from the S550s would easily be fixed by a square setup for the track. Even the GT350s push stock.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I don't think you can go wrong with either. You already have all the stuff to support another S197. But if you go with the S550, I think you're better off with the performance package cars and bigger brakes. You could also look at '13/'14 GT track packs. Pretty good bang for the buck on those too.

I think the push from the S550s would easily be fixed by a square setup for the track. Even the GT350s push stock.
Maybe he should do the s550 so I can start developing parts for those too..... Muahahahaha....!

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
That's definitely on the 'pro' list for getting the S550! :D

Now is this really for the son or for the dad? ;)
For the son....I'd like one too, but I don't really go anywhere anymore and I use the Tremor to get around town so it would just sit around like a dog chained up in the back yard. :(

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Square set-up helps a ton. The S550 works pretty well. It appears you would jump right in and rip it apart so it will really be faster than an S197. Brakes are very good.

Wha-who me...?
16649456_10210410166703912_3238439913963441438_n.jpg

Not much hasn't been covered. S550 GT PP is as fast or faster than a boss 302 out of the box. Independently verified too. Slower in a straight line, but the chassis, brakes and suspension make up the rest.

They are pretty neutral in stock GT PP form. As stated to balance out any understeer that is present stock, a square setup and some camber up front and you're good to go.

My base GT PP is just under 3700lbs with 18x10s and 275 square. It's a bit floppy with the factory suspension, brakes are very good stock. Trans is probably the weakest link, and lack of trans and diff coolers.

TMO Supporting Vendors