The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss vs. Guard rail

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Well this sucks i had hopped this would never happen but it did. While cruising down the mountain with some friends we were approaching a switchback. As i approached i had about 4-5 car lengths from the car in front of me. What i didn't see was everyone slowing down in front of him. As i came around the turn i saw the brake lights too late. It was raining and being in mid corner i choose not to slam on the brakes but did apply some pressure. I unwound the wheel to avoid hitting him but hit the guard rail instead. Better outcome IMO than hitting the car in front of me. If had slammed on the brakes this probably would have done alot more damage. Anyone here is the damage. Not terrible but the part hurt the worst is pride right now.

Guardrailbump_zpsd57acd50.jpg

Bummer. Sounds like you made the right decision to minimize damage. Good luck with the repair.

Tulsa, OK
Sorry to see this. At least you're ok and nothing more was damaged.

I witnessed my buddy take his '11 GT into the tire wall this past weekend at a local track. It's never any fun to see damage on these cars.

That's a real drag about the prang. But glad you weren't hurt - had a racing instructor once tell me that "all cars are nothing but metal, glass, and rubber, and they're expendable as long as you're OK". Some paint and body work (and a little cash, I know) and she'll be fine.

Smilieboy, any learnings from the incident you could share with the board, any wisdom you acquired (at the cost of your fender) that might keep one of us out of the same scrape?

Well the estimate is pretty much in. 4500ish dollars in damage. What wasn't seen ended up being the killer. Apparently the radiator support is banged up pretty bad, the front bumper can't be salvaged as well as the support brackets and such. Add in the wheel, fender, stripe kit, and head light and it sounds about right i guess.

What i learned:

1. Don't go down a mountain with people you don't know.
2. Don't go down a mountain with drag racers.
3. Look much farther ahead if possible.
4. Don't go down a mountain with drag racers.

Smilieboy said:
Well the estimate is pretty much in. 4500ish dollars in damage. What wasn't seen ended up being the killer. Apparently the radiator support is banged up pretty bad, the front bumper can't be salvaged as well as the support brackets and such. Add in the wheel, fender, stripe kit, and head light and it sounds about right i guess.

What i learned:

Rain, down a mountain, and "cruising" with drag racers...all together in the same sentence can't possibly end well. Glad you're ok though.

Smilieboy said:

What i learned:

Sorry to hear about the bad luck you had, glad that you are okay....where did this happen? Down the mountain, looked like the tail of the dragon.

I didn't have time to post about the car before i left for VIR since i got the car this past friday and drove straight there. The car is in my possession but it has a few flaws. 1. the dealership sent me a HID headlamp instead of the standard one. They said it was based off the VIN. Ford Racing at VIR confirmed it shouldn't have. 2. They didn't send all the C-stripe. They had to paint match the door and the dealership only sent the fender, not the whole thing. They said it was only sold in sections, i have people saying they are wrong. Either way, the car is going back sometime this week to finish the job once the parts are confirmed in.

On the good side the car performed well at VIR and once i get the pictures i will post them.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel