The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss vs Roush

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have sold my Boss...
:(

BUT, I´m gonna buy a new Mustang!
;D

Now here is my question. As much as I loved the Boss I am still open for other mustangs.
A friend of mine recommended me to take a look at the 2011 Roush 5XR
http://www.roushperformance.com/vehicles/mustang-2011-5xr.html

He told me he can find one for the same price as a 2012 Boss.

What is your opinion, will I find the 5XR as good on the track as the Boss 302?

Thanks for any input!

It depends on what you're looking for in a sports car. Why did you sell your Boss? The Roush will be faster in a straight line but I doubt it will be faster on a road course. It might be just as fast though. I like what Roush does and seriously considered a Roush Stage 2 before putting down my deposit for my Boss. In the end I think the Roush premium is not worth it. I'd rather buy a 5 DOT 0 and customize it the way I want it.

I also think a Boss will have a higher resale value (% of original purchase price) than the Roush.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Roush puts a good package together but the extra 150lbs over the frontend from the supercharger and intercooler isn't going to help the handling, and the redline won't be nearly as high.

BLAZN BOSS

Does Roush change anything in the lower end of the motor?........is it the same 5.0 in the GT with roush bolt ons?........Fords own write up says the connecting rods arent made for forced induction.......I know people are doing it but thats not a good bet to keep hoping they wont let go. Plus the plain 5.0 has cast pistons.........If Roush replaces them and strengthens the bottom end then some of the performance battle is won. "some"

Boomerstoys

Keep the shiny side up & the rubber side down!
Having just done the exercise of trying to decide what to get I found myself coming back to The Boss time & time again. Regular GT, Roush, Saleen, GT 500 and several other marques, Porsche Cayman R, 1 M Coupe (the best of the group next to the Boss IMHO), Subi WRX STI, EVO, wait for the new Golf R, Subi BRX or Toyota F86 (Scion). Even considered getting another MINI only this time the JCW Coupe.

Came out of a 07 MCS that put out 208 WHP & 238 WTQ with suspension, chassis and brake upgrades that made it surprisingly quick. For me the car needed to be verstile and capable of doing DD & track duties. When considering all this, pound for pound, dollar for dollar, the Boss, would win for me.

Not trying to be a smart ass, but why did you sell your Boss? If budget isn't a concern, the new Porsche 911S (991) should arrive shortly or look for the 12 Porsche GTS or if you can find one, a BMW 1 M Coupe (harder to find then hens teeth and usually a $5000+ premium). Outside of this a 997 GT 3 or 996 GT 3. But all of these car, are more money!

Good luck with your search.

Cheers!

What one does is their own business, but can you explain why you would sell a Boss 302 only to turn around and buy another Mustang.

Well, since others have asked I can finally ask too, why sell a Boss then try to figure out which Mustang to get that would give you what you already had??? I'm confused!

Thanks for the input everybody.

First of all, the reason for selling it; I´m living in a cold place and can not drive it during the winter. I needed the money elsewhere... And it is always fun to change :D (as some other forum members can agree!).

Primarily I am thinking of a 12my Boss as I want to further explore it´s capacity, this time with r-compound tires and some more mods. Track days is what I want the car for. Have around 10 of them planned for the coming summer With the Boss I know what I am getting but reading of the 5XR makes me curious and it looks pretty good imo.

But the question is how suited the drivetrain is for extended track use and if the handling is as good as the Boss'es?

Sesshomurai

#299 said:

First of all, the reason for selling it; I´m living in a cold place and can not drive it during the winter. I needed the money elsewhere... And it is always fun to change :D (as some other forum members can agree!).

Primarily I am thinking of a 12my Boss as I want to further explore it´s capacity, this time with r-compound tires and some more mods. Track days is what I want the car for. Have around 10 of them planned for the coming summer With the Boss I know what I am getting but reading of the 5XR makes me curious and it looks pretty good imo.

But the question is how suited the drivetrain is for extended track use and if the handling is as good as the Boss'es?

So you ditched the 'best mustang ever built' because of winter only to want a one-off non-track custom mustang? I'm not judging, but aren't you still stuck with the winter problem? I'm certain the rousch doesn't have AWD...

Sesshomurai said:
#299 said:

So you ditched the 'best mustang ever built' because of winter only to want a one-off non-track custom mustang? I'm not judging, but aren't you still stuck with the winter problem? I'm certain the rousch doesn't have AWD...
;D

#299 said:

I have a 2011 GT500 and took it to the track for some track days events. Worst mistake of my life. This hobby is a living breathing thing; I think it actually takes money from my wallet when I’m not looking. Anyway, back on point. The GT500 is a blast to drive on track, but I came to the conclusion that no matter how much I spend on suspension and engine mods, it will never be the track car that I want. There will always be a weight issue and a heat soak issue with supercharged cars.

Enter the new Boss.

I definitely went a little overboard with my Boss. But it’s ok, because I love it! I bought an S, which is the factory race prepped version. From a driver point of view there are very few similarities in these two cars. They both have good power and are fun to drive, but that’s it. The Boss is hands down a better track car, and it’s not because mine is a factory built race car. I have driven against a modified street Boss and he kick my a$$. I am consistently 9 seconds faster than my best GT500 time on a 1.7 mile track. I’m sure my driving skills have improved since the last time I tracked my GT500, but not that much. I also drove my GT500 against a striped out Roush 427R and I smoked him. ;D

Sorry for rambling, just giving you something to think about

Buy a Boss!!!!!

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
You can lead a horse to water...

(Didn't know I was a good 'ol Texas boy myself, did 'cha ? ;D )

#299 said:

I know this is beating a dead horse, but buy the Boss!!!! I love the Roush as well, but weight on the nose and superchargers just don't add up to good track cars.

GA
The Stig decided it tonight on US Top Gear- the Boss beat the supercharged Roush on the road course. It was cool that the Mustang in the challenges was my exact car. 8)

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
The truth hurts ;D

I am a bit peeved that they didn't have a LS for the test. Just the tires alone would have made the gap even wider between the two cars.

As for the rest of the show - a waste of time.

TMO Supporting Vendors