The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss vs. Shelby

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbj5259 said:
If I'm not mistaken, Ford signed a deal with Shelby for naming rights through 2017. The big motor may go away, but GT500's will be produced for at least 3 more years after 2014. While I do agree that the 13-14 GT500 is the biggest and baddest one yet (and a fitting way to end the S197 run) I don't think it will be comparable to a Boss 429 in rarity. Its still a GT500, a model that has been produced for 8 years now in much higher production figures than anyone ever expected. Projecting future collectibles is a crap shoot, but every high dollar collectible has on thing in common, low production numbers.

Have to agree with you about the rarity. 1358 Boss 9's compared to 8-9,000 13/14 Shelbys. I don't think the Shelby will ever be worth half a million either as some B9's are. But when the subject is desireability and collectibilty I think those of us with a new Boss or Shelby will be in the catbird seat someday. Baby boomers willing to spend a bundle on a B9 are dying off every day and my belief is the market for B9's may peak someday at a still unknown number but at some point the market can only go down in my view. Case in point the old E type Jags. 25 years ago V12's were bringing 100K. Today 50K or less.

Meanwhile, the future market for the new Boss and Shelbys are still in grade school right now and someday they will want the icon from their generation. I had a Boss 9 back in the 70's long before it was cool to own one and would love to have another but just not willing to give up variety (Boss, 2 CJ's and a Shelby) to make one happen. It's a daily struggle trying to keep the old emotions at bay but I don't want to give 200K for a driver and someday wake up and it's worth 100K. They may not have been the fastest thing around, right off the showroom floor, but a carb and headers and they would run with anything. The best part about a Boss 9 is just standing there stareing at that massive engine. I remember always getting the same reaction when you pop the hood on a 9. It would just jolt people back a couple of steps when they saw one the first time and it's funny but I get the same reaction now when you pop the hood on a new Shelby.

427mustang

68fb42769scj88drag car2012BossYB838 LS 760 SILVER
Had that same feeling when I bought KK 1349 new. Simply filled the entire engine bay,had no problem changing plugs,headers was a different story though. Gary

blk12svt said:
Have to agree with you about the rarity. 1358 Boss 9's compared to 8-9,000 13/14 Shelbys. I don't think the Shelby will ever be worth half a million either as some B9's are. But when the subject is desireability and collectibilty I think those of us with a new Boss or Shelby will be in the catbird seat someday. Baby boomers willing to spend a bundle on a B9 are dying off every day and my belief is the market for B9's may peak someday at a still unknown number but at some point the market can only go down in my view. Case in point the old E type Jags. 25 years ago V12's were bringing 100K. Today 50K or less.

Meanwhile, the future market for the new Boss and Shelbys are still in grade school right now and someday they will want the icon from their generation. I had a Boss 9 back in the 70's long before it was cool to own one and would love to have another but just not willing to give up variety (Boss, 2 CJ's and a Shelby) to make one happen. It's a daily struggle trying to keep the old emotions at bay but I don't want to give 200K for a driver and someday wake up and it's worth 100K. They may not have been the fastest thing around, right off the showroom floor, but a carb and headers and they would run with anything. The best part about a Boss 9 is just standing there stareing at that massive engine. I remember always getting the same reaction when you pop the hood on a 9. It would just jolt people back a couple of steps when they saw one the first time and it's funny but I get the same reaction now when you pop the hood on a new Shelby.

Brings back warm memories of when I owned a '69 B9, KK1318 (Wimbledon White, numbers-matching 820S motor), from '79-'83. Was 19 & had just graduated HS at the time I purchased it (w/ help from my dear old Dad), and went from being a "nobody" to pretty much king of the local cruise scene that summer. Nothing like opening the hood on a B9 to an awestruck crowd who would stand and stare slack jawed at that glorious "Shotgun" motor. Even the normally nonchalant hard-core street racers would walk over and stare and nod their heads in approval. Those were some great times, indeed!

But today the thought of spending over $200K for something like a B9 leads me to think: "Hmm, let's see, I could spend $200K+ for a way-cool but obsolete dinosaur of a muscle car I'd only drive occasionally to car shows and cruise nights. Or for the same money I could have 2 new Boss 302s -- one for the street and one for the track, plus a new Shelby GT500. AND maybe have enough money left over for a new truck and enclosed trailer a season's supply of race tires and brake pads for my track car."

Mmmm... not a hard decision.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel