The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss vs. Shelby

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I own a 2012 KB Boss love the car, my buddy is looking at a 2013 Boss or the new Shelby. Big price difference I know! I am trying to convince him to buy the Boss and keep the extra 30k in the bank. When reading 0-60 numbers as well as 1/4 mile times the Boss is just about neck and neck with the Shelby. Would love to get your feedback to share with my buddy.

The Boss will NOT be neck and neck with a GT500, not even close. Not to mention it's very easy to get 800whp from one. If I had the means, I'd have a GT500

ForceofWill said:
The Boss will NOT be neck and neck with a GT500, not even close. Not to mention it's very easy to get 800whp from one. If I had the means, I'd have a GT500
+1.

If I wasn't saving to build a house I would be driving a '13 Gt500 right now.

ForceofWill said:

I have been very fortunate to own both the new generation GT500 and Boss 302 cars and after many miles in both car it was an easy decision for me as to which is the better overall car and that is the Boss 302.

The GT500 cars are great boulevard cruisers and have tremendous straight line excelleration but put the GT500 on a road course and it is totally out of it's element compared to the Boss 302 cars.

The numbers speak for themselves and the only category that the GT500 beats the Boss 302 is on acceleration and cannot compete with the Boss 302 on braking distance or skidpag G's let alone the GT500 being an over weight Pony car.

One last consideration is the limited production 2 year production of the Boss cars compared to who knows how many GT500 cars will be built by Ford over many years. From an investment standpoint the Boss cars will hold their value better in the long run than the GT500 will.

I remember when the new generation GT500 came out in 2007 and it was to be a limited production Shelby and dealers were marking up these 2007 GT500 cars based on all the hype of a limited production Shelby and what did Ford do but produce over 10,000 of these units in 2007 let alone all of the following years the car is being produced. Based on those numbers the GT500 certainly is not a limited production car which the Boss 302 cars certainly have in their favor.

Add that all up with respect to the Boss 302 limited production numbers and the fact that the Boss 302 is a much better balanced car and for at least $20,000 less than a GT500 it is a no brainer.

If you don't believe me just ask Jay Leno what he thinks of the GT500 compared to the limited production Boss 302 and don't tell me Jay Leno is not a car guy!

:)

SL302 said:
I own a 2012 KB Boss love the car, my buddy is looking at a 2013 Boss or the new Shelby. Big price difference I know! I am trying to convince him to buy the Boss and keep the extra 30k in the bank. When reading 0-60 numbers as well as 1/4 mile times the Boss is just about neck and neck with the Shelby. Would love to get your feedback to share with my buddy.

I'm sure you've already done this: Let him drive your Boss after test driving the Shelby. I'm not a Shelby hater at all, and at one time, the GT 500 was on my radar.

But then I drove the Boss; and now that the production run is over, all the better.

For under 10K put a blower on a Boss, if that's what he wants and still save $$$.

Two completely different animals. If he wants to go fast in a straight line and see a bunch of other GT500's on any given weekend, then get a GT500. If he wants a canyon carver and without a doubt the best handling Mustang ever built then get a Boss. Also he probably will be pretty unique as there are not that many Bosses on the road compared to Shelby's. As has been said...if he wants raw power, it can always be added.

Ignore the supposed "exclusivity" of either marquee. The question is simple, does he want a straight line king beast, or does he like going fast in the curves via superb dynamics? Its really a matter of what kind of car he is looking for.

First let me say, this post is certainly not intended to be critical of the new Boss in any way. I love Boss 302's and have since 1970 when I saw my first on the showroom floor. I was finally able to get one in Nov 71 while a senior in high school and except for 13 years (94-07) have had one ever since. Mechanical issues aside, with both era of cars, they get in your blood like no other car I've ever had and you just live with the problems.

As far as the Boss or Shelby question goes, as others have said, one factor depends on what really thrills you, carving corners or straight line acceleration. I am a straight line guy but I had originally planned to get a Boss once the 13's came out since it just seemed like the right thing to do since I had a 70 Boss too. However, an unexpected test drive in a 2012 Shelby changed my mind. I guess what I am saying is if a life long Bossaholic like me could be swayed, don't go for any Shelby test drives if you are on the fence and think you want a Boss.

As far as future collectibility and value goes the only way to make an accurate comparison is to exclude the 1000's of Shelby's built prior to 2013, which unfortunately includes my 12... When I bought my 12 the 13's were still 6 months away and I figured what could anybody possibly need with 662HP on the street so I bought the 12. Then the collectability thing started weighing on my mind and I figured 20 years from now I'll be much better off with a 13 or 14 so I have a 14 on order. I could be wrong but I believe that someday the 662 HP Shelby, also a two year run, will be an icon like the Boss 429 is today so that's why I decided to eat 11K in depreciation now and go for the 14. The new Boss 302, also a two year run, will also be a future icon but I suspect it will be like comparing an old Boss 429 to an old Boss 302. The horsepower thing will win again.

Cost wise, unless you go nuts with options, they really aren't that far apart dollar wise. Sure you can spend 75K on a Shelby ordering everything. My 14 stickered for $60,535 but I am buying it for $58,166 so not that much more than an LS Boss. The only options I ordered were the SVT performance package and Recaros. I know you can bolt a blower on a Boss and make lots more HP but can the trans and diff take it?

Having said all that, I can hardly wait till I get my new Shelby paid for so I can go get me a new BOSS!!

blk12svt said:
The new Boss 302, also a two year run, will also be a future icon but I suspect it will be like comparing an old Boss 429 to an old Boss 302. The horsepower thing will win again.

Funny, I would take a classic Boss 302 over a 429 all day long.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
well for me I would take the 13-14 GT500 over my boss. I dont track my boss I like to drag race. I bought the boss because it was the best mustang I could afford.

Justin said:
well for me I would take the 13-14 GT500 over my boss. I dont track my boss I like to drag race. I bought the boss because it was the best mustang I could afford.
Same situation for me although I would love to get out to a road course some day.

Tucson 302

2013 Black LS #439
I actually test drove my 13 LS, a 13 Shelby, and a 13 Roush Mustang and must say the Boss to me was a no brainer. You could just feel the difference in the car and the way it drove. The extra HP in the shelby and roush didn't feel that much different to me. Plus both of the other cars were colors I didn't care for so that helped too.

7500RPM said:
The numbers speak for themselves and the only category that the GT500 beats the Boss 302 is on acceleration and cannot compete with the Boss 302 on braking distance or skidpag G's let alone the GT500 being an over weight Pony car.
Coupe 3,852 lbs 222 lbs difference, easy to make that up with light wheels, and a little carbon.
It uses the same chassis, sooooo all the suspension that works in the Boss, works in the Shelby, it can and does turn corners and very well.
Has 15 inch, 6 piston Brembo brakes, Bigger than the Boss.
Already supercharged, already has the good transmission.
Don't have to throw away the warranty to make big power.

7500RPM said:
One last consideration is the limited production 2 year production of the Boss cars compared to who knows how many GT500 cars will be built by Ford over many years. From an investment standpoint the Boss cars will hold their value better in the long run than the GT500 will.

Rumor mill says 2014 is the last year for the Big motor Shelby and possibly the Shelby period.
And yes, at some point here, I will have Both cars.

If I'm not mistaken, Ford signed a deal with Shelby for naming rights through 2017. The big motor may go away, but GT500's will be produced for at least 3 more years after 2014. While I do agree that the 13-14 GT500 is the biggest and baddest one yet (and a fitting way to end the S197 run) I don't think it will be comparable to a Boss 429 in rarity. Its still a GT500, a model that has been produced for 8 years now in much higher production figures than anyone ever expected. Projecting future collectibles is a crap shoot, but every high dollar collectible has on thing in common, low production numbers.

cbj5259 said:
I don't think it will be comparable to a Boss 429 in rarity. Its still a GT500, a model that has been produced for 8 years now in much higher production figures than anyone ever expected. Projecting future collectibles is a crap shoot, but every high dollar collectible has on thing in common, low production numbers.

I have to agree with that, I have a friend that has an original Boss 429, I have driven it many times. I will tell you though, by comparison, it is slower than the Boss 302 and no where near as much fun to drive. It has nostalgia appeal and collectability, nothing else. It's a big sled.

Lots of compelling arguments. I've been in both but chose the Boss for bang for the buck reasons. I also felt the Shelby was too much for spirited driving only. Didn't feel I'd really enjoy driving it as much, cause I didn't feel as connected to the car... perhaps the Shelby is just out of my league as a driver! I also love the looks of the 11-12's, but have to say the '10 Shelby is probably my all time favorite among 05+ Stangs.

I think given the number of clutch and tranny issues in the Boss from those that track their cars, I'd recommend the Shelby, or setting aside money for drivetrain upgrades in the Boss. A warranty doesn't help you keep all your sessions on a long-planned track day.

Big decision...I'd base it on test drives and a solid knowledge of reliability factors around the car's intended use.

NewBossowner said:
Coupe 3,852 lbs 222 lbs difference, easy to make that up with light wheels, and a little carbon.
It uses the same chassis, sooooo all the suspension that works in the Boss, works in the Shelby, it can and does turn corners and very well.
Has 15 inch, 6 piston Brembo brakes, Bigger than the Boss.
Already supercharged, already has the good transmission.
Don't have to throw away the warranty to make big power.

Rumor mill says 2014 is the last year for the Big motor Shelby and possibly the Shelby period.
And yes, at some point here, I will have Both cars.

Let's see.... depending on what wheel you go with, lighter wheels might save you up to 8-12 pounds per wheel, so... maybe 40 or so pounds in weight savings there. But, you can do that on a Boss too, so net-net you haven't narrowed the weight margin between the two cars.

The Shelby already has a CF driveshaft, so no potential weight savings there. And I can put a CF or alum DS on my Boss (already did on mine), so again, no reduced weight differential there either.

CF hood and decklid might shave off, what, another 80 pounds or so. But I can put those on my Boss, too. Same with lighter seats, battery, or whatever. So.... where else are you gonna come up with the balance of 200+ pounds to begin with, not to mention that about anything you can do on a Shelby to save weight, you can also do on a Boss?

The problem is you have that heavier supercharged motor in the Shelby, which as long as it's there can never be completely offset in terms of weight relative to a Boss.

dabossinne said:
The problem is you have that heavier supercharged motor in the Shelby, which as long as it's there can never be completely offset in terms of weight relative to a Boss.

And you end up with a heavy supercharged motor in the boss with cooling problems if you supercharge the boss to make the power and the transmission fix is heavier than stock as well. 222 lbs isn't a huge deficit. Magnum XL conversion 250lbs, stock MT-82 123.5 lbs
Average Blower conversion adds 80 pounds give or take. The 222 lb window just got a lot smaller. That also doesn't include the option to swap in lighter seats in place of the boat anchors the Shelby comes with.

Anything that can be done to the Boss to make it handle and go fast around corners can be done to the Shelby, you just don't have to void the warranty to make the power. It's the same chassis with a few different parts. It all boils down to personal preference, if you ask on here, you will find a lot of members running a base 5.0 with mods to make it work. It all boils down to what people can afford or want. The end result is still fun.

I own a Boss and love it, I will at some point own a Shelby as well. But for the most part, I am just playing the devils advocate in this conversation. Both cars work very well and can go extremely fast. Faster than most of us are capable of driving them safely. Both cars can be modified to do pretty much anything the other car can do so really, it is just a point of personal preference and the size of your bank account.

TMO Supporting Vendors