The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss vs SS 1LE

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
So I have seen the comparison of the Boss vs the 1LE around VIR. We all know the comparison is bogus because the Boss was driven by a magazine editor and the 1LE was driven by a racecar driver. You also have to take into account the temp, PA, and surface conditions. I would love for someone to do another comparison where the car is driven by the same driver back to back with the same compound tires.

The Boss is lighter, has more power, and is a purpose built track car so I don't see how the 1LE could be faster. I am curious if the 1LE would be able to withstand track duties on a regular basis like the Boss can? Also, would Chevy back their warranty like Ford does if you break something at the track? Let me know what you guys think about the comparison.

Thanks

The real answer to your question is we're not seeing many (if any) of the new Camaros on the track. ::) There are plenty of Corvettes, but finding the new Camaro at the track is like spotting a unicorn.

I still refuse to believe the 1LE will keep up with a boss on same track, same day. Might be my fan boy ism coming out.

Cjmclean31 said:
I still refuse to believe the 1LE will keep up with a boss on same track, same day. Might be my fan boy ism coming out.

The camaro wont keep up trust me I owned one I will admit it was pretty damn nice of a car and zero problems compared to the transmission issues Ive had but if the camaro was a better or even faster car i'd own one. They are not. Now the z06 is a different story they are fast very fast.

This isn't the 1LE vs Boss, but it is vs the GT Track Pack. Pretty interesting read if you like the Camaro...
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/1303_2013_chevrolet_camaro_ss_1le_ford_mustang_gt_track_pack/

No surprise really. The match up between the Boss and 1LE should be close.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
LindsayEOD said:
This isn't the 1LE vs Boss, but it is vs the GT Track Pack. Pretty interesting read if you like the Camaro...
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/1303_2013_chevrolet_camaro_ss_1le_ford_mustang_gt_track_pack/

Horse shiznit. The main difference between the two cars is the rubber. The camaro has more than an inch wider rubber on all four corners.

I agree that it wasn't an apples to apples comparison but at least we got some track data from MT out of it which. Does anyone know what the Boss will run the Streets of Willow in? Since the 1LE is not as cheap as expected, $43k, the Boss is definitely a more fair comparison.

At the very least, the 1LE looks to be a serious challenger for the Boss. It may even get around a road course quicker than a standard Boss (I can't see it beating an LS). As I've said before, even if the Boss is not as quick on a road course, its still a Boss. It has a pedigree and race history, plus it just looks a lot nicer! There are a lot of Mustangs out there that can probably beat some lower end Ferraris (if there is such a thing) around a road course too. Does that make the Mustang a better car or more desirable? There is more to a car than its lap time, unless of course that's all you own it for. At the end of the day the 1LE is just a souped up, mass produced SS. The Boss is a Boss.

Sesshomurai

yeah, the Boss has a racing history and pedigree to it. The 1LE is some marketing jargon. I agree with the remark about the rubber though. Bigger is better.....and yes...that's what she said...

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Maybe it's just my fanboyism coming out...but looking at the interval times and the slip angle makes me think that the driving style was the *main* difference between the two posted times...even with the handicap in rubber. On that recorded hot lap, it looks like the GT is being drifted in nearly all the corners.

Just for reference, the 1LE is sporting the same tires as the '12 GT500 rear tires, but on all four corners. ::)

If I'm trying to be objective, it is obvious that GM did a great job at reacting to Ford's '12 MY performance. It seems to me the 1LE would be hard for an enthusiast to improve upon...and we know that the mustangs still have a lot of room for aftermarket improvements.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
darreng505 said:
yeah, the Boss has a racing history and pedigree to it. The 1LE is some marketing jargon. I agree with the remark about the rubber though. Bigger is better.....and yes...that's what she said...

That's not entirely true; while the BOSS does have a more famous and prestigious pedigree, the 1LE of today shares the namesake and spirit of the 1990-92 F-Body 1LEs, which were perpetual SCCA showroom stock champions back then.

true. the 1le has a pedigree also.
what i would like to see from these "testers" is simple..
checks the cars out. i wanna know what the numbers are on the alignments n such.
could very well be the differance between a 122 lap and a 125 lap
or a car that holds the corner and one that wont.

we all know how those rags are. biased towards the almighty dollar in my opinion

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Also biased towards the newest car getting the best press (unless we are talking about BMWs, then it can be a few years old and still win).

This is just like the ZL1 vs. BOSS matchup...gotta get that good press in for one side before the other side releases the car that is going to stomp it!

Flyboygsxr said:
So I have seen the comparison of the Boss vs the 1LE around VIR. We all know the comparison is bogus because the Boss was driven by a magazine editor and the 1LE was driven by a racecar driver. You also have to take into account the temp, PA, and surface conditions. I would love for someone to do another comparison where the car is driven by the same driver back to back with the same compound tires.

The Boss is lighter, has more power, and is a purpose built track car so I don't see how the 1LE could be faster. I am curious if the 1LE would be able to withstand track duties on a regular basis like the Boss can? Also, would Chevy back their warranty like Ford does if you break something at the track? Let me know what you guys think about the comparison.

Thanks

What details do you have about the 1le driver? I believe boss time was Larry Webster and he was noticeably better than the other drivers used based on the YouTube videos released

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
OK my print issue arrived a couple days after I posted that remark about not getting it yet, my mailman must be a BMO lurker...

Impressive times by both Camaros. Looks like the Mustangs are going to need more tire!

Sesshomurai

ArizonaGT said:
That's not entirely true; while the BOSS does have a more famous and prestigious pedigree, the 1LE of today shares the namesake and spirit of the 1990-92 F-Body 1LEs, which were perpetual SCCA showroom stock champions back then.

Interesting. I did not know that. Ironic too because i owned a '92 camaro in '92. Lol. Loved those ttops.

TMO Supporting Vendors