The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss vs SS 1LE

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darreng505 said:
Interesting. I did not know that. Ironic too because i owned a '92 camaro in '92. Lol. Loved those ttops.

yes, another interesting fact is that the chevy camaro cop cars of those years where 1le cars. baffled fuel tanks and all. the differance was the cop car camaros got a/c while the actual race cars/street 1le cars came a/c delete

I would take a Boss over the 1LE Camaro.

I have seen reviews where the 1LE is pitted against the Track Pack Mustang, but I feel the GT should be compared to the SS, the Boss should be compared to the 1LE, and the ZL1 should be compared to the GT500. In those comparions, the only Camaro I would favor is the ZL1.

Dave

Sesshomurai said:
Interesting. I did not know that. Ironic too because i owned a '92 camaro in '92. Lol. Loved those ttops.

They were fast cars, not much in print but they were ringers. I've owned every body style camaro there was, except the last, the 1LE were rockets, they still pull down big bucks if you can find one, which is pretty remarkable for that body style. Keep in mind, back then GM built the Z28, then "unbuilt" it to a lessor degree for the RS and stock models. So the "Z" was pretty stout to begin with, then the IROC option, which improved that, then the 1LE scheme.

88 - 92 IROC-Z 1LE Performance Package

dave8412 Jun 16 2006 - 8:46am
Q: What's included in the 1LE Performance package?

A: In 1988, the secret showroom stock racing 1LE option (option level 0 IROC-Z)was first available; however, only 4 were produced. Then in 1989, the option became more well-known as 111 were produced that year.

The package was obtained by ordering the following:

Level 1 IROC-Z with 5.0 TPI engine with 5 speed or 5.7 TPI engine
Optional axle ratio (G92) (305/3.45, 350/3.27) and its required options
Air conditioning delete (C41) (standard heater)
The package originally consisted of:
Fog lamp delete
Aluminum driveshaft (JG1) (part # 10085375)
Performance exhaust system (N10) (dual catalytic converters)
Special deflected disc shocks
Aluminum spare wheel with smaller spare tire (N64)
Lower control arms (part # 10164151)
Larger (11.86 inch) front rotors (part # 18016035)
Larger front spindles (part #'s 18016737 / 18016738)
PBR front, dual-piston aluminum calipers (part #'s 10132827 / 10132828)
Special swinging fuel pickup in gas tank and special 18 gallon baffled fuel tank for fuel pickup down to .5 gallon reserve to prevent fuel starvation in hard cornering
Some came with special 16" x 8" light alloy mesh wheels (XWL)

http://www.thirdgen.org/IROC-Z-1LE-performance-package

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
gremlinsteve said:
yes, another interesting fact is that the chevy camaro cop cars of those years where 1le cars. baffled fuel tanks and all. the difference was the cop car camaros got a/c while the actual race cars/street 1le cars came a/c delete

The cop cars were usually B4C code... slightly different content than the 1LE (AC, higher amp alternator, reinforced seats and mounts, etc). All of the SCCA auto-x guys would always hit the cop auctions and score B4C and Fox Body coupes for cheap and then race the hell out of them.

FWIW, a third-gen B4C with fresh dampers and tires will slalom like an E36 M3... and then crack the a-pillars :)

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
John is correct on the 1LEs, and the Cop Camaros. Was running a non LE Firebird Formula 350 , automatic that was super competitive in that time frame - late 80s and early 90s.

But when the 97 Cobra came out there was a big shift to FOMOCO and the domination ended pretty abrubtly in F Stock. In just a few years there was a big shift to the high revving 4.6.

With just a few mods have to believe the Boss will still hand it to a Camaro - but , then I may be biased. Seeing what alot of us are doing at the track against cars that should wax the Boss, it appears the 302 is ripe for minor mods with big dividends.

TMO Supporting Vendors