The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss -vs- The Dragon

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boss%20302-Dragon-2.jpg

I played hooky from work today and went for a fun drive. ;D

I wanted to get a feel for how the Boss handles near the limit without doing triple digit speeds, so I took her over to the Tail of the Dragon today. It's only an hours drive from my house. :) For those that have not driven the Dragon it is wild. 11 miles long, 1085 feet of elevation change, 318 curves :eek:, and no guard rails. I went early and on a week day to avoid the hoards of slow poke sightseers. My plan payoff and I was able to make it to the top without getting held up at all.

I drove the Boss at about 6/10ths leaving lots of reserve just in case. I have to say, I was very impressed with how much grip this car has. I wont be surprised if my neck is sore tomorrow from all the g-forces this car makes. It is very neutral with no tenacity to under or over steer. The Torsen diff really lets you put the power down early. My only wish is for some more feedback in the steering as to what the front tires are doing. Other than that, this is a great car. I can really see now that she going to be a blast on the track. ;D I may have to change my plan on how soon I take her to the track. ;)

GA
Cool! The Bullitts will be there the weekend of July 16 for the Bullitt Nationals. I will be going to NYC that weekend for a family event so I will have to miss it. :(

If you want some track time soon join NASA if you are not already a member and you can drive at Carolina Motorsports Park April 30th-May 1st or Road Atlanta June 16-17 before it gets too freakin' hot. :D I will be at CMP and it would be great to see a Boss in person.

http://www.nasa-se.com/

PJWANNABE said:
Cool! The Bullitts will be there the weekend of July 16 for the Bullitt Nationals. I will be going to NYC that weekend for a family event so I will have to miss it. :(

If you want some track time soon join NASA if you are not already a member and you can drive at Carolina Motorsports Park April 30th-May 1st or Road Atlanta June 16-17 before it gets too freakin' hot. :D I will be at CMP and it would be great to see a Boss in person.

I'll have to check them out.

So Gary, have you added up what you spent to get yours track ready? just looking for a ball park #. Thanks

Awesome. I don't live too far away. I've been tempted to give it a try sometime.

Post more Pics!

BossJockey said:
So Gary, have you added up what you spent to get yours track ready? just looking for a ball park #. Thanks
Hawk Pads ~ $450
Super Blue ~ $50
Brake cooling Kit ~ $250
Trans scoop ~ $100
Wheels ~ $1250
Tires ~ $1000

Optional:
SS Lines ~ $225
DBA rotors ~ $1200
Aeroforce gauge ~ $250
Krosswerx GPS lap timer ~ $250
TPMS ~ $200 (I'm running my second set of wheels without them. I wouldn't get them. No chime, just reset the info button at startup)

I read a car camparo in C&D that took place on this road. It looks like great fun if you can hit it in the offseason. I live in Houston and I don't think there are any decent driver's roads here. Nice, man. Really nice.

ufnavy06

Some say he has a tattoo of his face on his face.
PJWANNABE said:

I like CMP. Well it's the only track I've been on for any extended period of time. I wish I could be there but I'll still be OCONUS sans Boss. Have fun!

GA
ufnavy06 said:
PJWANNABE said:

I like CMP. Well it's the only track I've been on for any extended period of time. I wish I could be there but I'll still be OCONUS sans Boss. Have fun!

Thanks- CMP is one of my favorites. It has a lot of turns which makes it challenging to keep your speed up, but it is pretty flat and does not have nice elevation changes like Road Atlanta and Barber Motorsports Park. A couple of new ones I will be hitting this year are Roebling Road and Talledaga Grand Prix Raceway; they don't seem to be super exciting but it is something different.

I'll be there with the Bullitt guys this year. Most likely be there in the Boss though as I'm pretty sure I'll burn out my fuel pump driving my Bullitt from Canada to NC.

So there'll be a CO in betweena ot of green cars.

PJWANNABE, Talladega did make for one heck of a NASCAR finish last week!

I am jealous of the roads a lot of you get to ride - being stuck on flat, straight, boring South Florida roads. I may have to take a road trip after delivery.

ufnavy06

Some say he has a tattoo of his face on his face.
PJWANNABE said:
ufnavy06 said:
PJWANNABE said:

Thanks- CMP is one of my favorites. It has a lot of turns which makes it challenging to keep your speed up, but it is pretty flat and does not have nice elevation changes like Road Atlanta and Barber Motorsports Park. A couple of new ones I will be hitting this year are Roebling Road and Talledaga Grand Prix Raceway; they don't seem to be super exciting but it is something different.

My friend who I went with, he has a '95 R which he tracks (not sure if he's going after a Boss, I would imagine he might part with his GT500 for it). His buddy made a DVD of our runs. Disappointing because you can really only see that back straight then you disappear for a bit until you get to the front stretch and then head back around. Seemed like only about 1/3 of the track is viewable. I still love watching it even though it's 3 years old now, hearing my old Mustang burble as I was coming into turn 1 at close to 120 mph. I need to get out there again.

GA
DigiCowboy said:
PJWANNABE, Talladega did make for one heck of a NASCAR finish last week!

I am jealous of the roads a lot of you get to ride - being stuck on flat, straight, boring South Florida roads. I may have to take a road trip after delivery.

Either Road Atlanta or Barber Motorsports Park are definitely worth a trip.

PJWANNABE said:

I picked up my 302 this past Saturday (total surprise, this car wasn't even on my radar 2 weeks ago!) and had already planned to instruct at CMP (in my BMW's) this weekend with NASA-SE so I'll have brother tow BMW's and I'll drive Boss and do at least a couple laps in it.

It's totally stock and another friend that drives a track or 2010 M3 that will be there has a 302 on order, so we'll see.

Take turns between his M3, my track 330 and the Boss, should be interesting!

TMO Supporting Vendors