The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss vs Z06

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ufnavy06

Some say he has a tattoo of his face on his face.
Motortrend had a test of the Z06 around Laguna Seca back in '06 with it doing about 1:40.9 so should Z06 owners be worried a "puny Mustang" can hang and beat their $75,000+ Vette around a track? I think Chevy has to step up with the Z06 and even a possible Z/28 for the Camaro to even be in the same realm as the GT, much less the Boss.

The Boss is a great car but I don't think it will beat up to badly on a ZO6. I have owned a 2008 ZO6 and let me tell you it's no slouch. With a good driver the Boss will give the ZO6 a run for it's money and don't forget that the ZO6 has 505 HP and weighs 3200 lbs.
This is just my .02
Fred

BossFred said:
The Boss is a great car but I don't think it will beat up to badly on a ZO6. I have owned a 2008 ZO6 and let me tell you it's no slouch. With a good driver the Boss will give the ZO6 a run for it's money and don't forget that the ZO6 has 505 HP and weighs 3200 lbs.
This is just my .02
Fred
I agree. On a faster track the Z06 will be ahead. And hasn't Chevy updated the Z06 since 2006? More HP and other refinements? You'd want to compare the 2012 Boss to at least a 2011 Z06.

Whoa Nellie!!!! Most of the guys I run with at the track drive Z06s and with a capable driver, I just don't see me getting around them in the Boss. The lap time shown is for a 2005 Z06 which doesn't exist to my knowledge. They started on the C6 platform with the 05 MY, but the first Z06s came out late that year as MY 2006s. Based on the HP rating though it must be a C6 Z06. In any event, the lap time is .7 better in the Boss, but look at the Z06 Carbon which is almost 3 seconds faster with basically upgraded brakes.

The Z06s I run with all do at a minimum, intake, headers, exhaust and a tune. That nets you 500 at the tire and the car weighs just over 3100 lbs. They run 13" tires out back and 11" up front so nearly 2" more width than the Mustang can fit and 500 lbs lighter. Also the aero on a Corvette is better. As great as the reviews have been on the Boss, those physics just aren't computing for me. Sure there are guys I've run into the weeds in their Z06 with my GT500 because they're driving their mirrors and can't fathom a Mustang catching them, but that's more likely driver than car.

Now that said, I wouldn't be afraid of a stock Z06 in the Boss on the road course, but I still can't see how the Boss would be faster car for car. Trust me, there's no car I want to get around more than a Vette. To me it's like Coke and Pepsi at the track and I'm blue oval all the way. I'm just trying to be realistic.

ufnavy06

Some say he has a tattoo of his face on his face.
I just thought I'd look up some times around Laguna Seca for some cars which might be compared to the Boss. I mean I didn't think the R8 would be slower than the Boss, but it is. I know the two cars really aren't that similar, but just the thought of knowing my car (Boss) with a solid driver can beat an R8 with a solid driver around a track like Laguna Seca is pretty crazy.

I know it's been a few years since they ran that Z06 around the track but to my knowledge, there hasn't been much updated in the Z06 since it's introduction, that I'm aware of at least. Additionally, would you say the Z06 with a sticker $35,000 more than a 'base' Boss is worth that extra money? I mean you could buy a descent truck and trailer to take the Boss to and from the track if you wanted to for that money. Or a 5.0 with the Brembos and 3.73s and some mods. Dollar for dollar, I just think it makes the Boss that much more impressive a car.

ufnavy06 said:
Additionally, would you say the Z06 with a sticker $35,000 more than a 'base' Boss is worth that extra money? I mean you could buy a descent truck and trailer to take the Boss to and from the track if you wanted to for that money. Or a 5.0 with the Brembos and 3.73s and some mods. Dollar for dollar, I just think it makes the Boss that much more impressive a car.
You're exactly right and part of the reason I went for the Boss and not a Vette. The other part of the reason is that it's a Vette (insert your favorite stereotype here). ;)

You know what the best part of this conversation is? Nobody is even talking about Boss vs. M3 or Camaros anymore. That MT track test sure did silence alot of the haters ;D

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
LateApex said:
You know what the best part of this conversation is? Nobody is even talking about Boss vs. M3 or Camaros anymore. That MT track test sure did silence alot of the haters ;D

Amen! ;D

ArizonaGT said:
LateApex said:

Amen! ;D
I agree. I'm still having a hard time getting my arms around the MT numbers though after having tracked a heavily modified S197 the past 4 years. I'm still a bit of a doubting Thomas, but hopefully the lap times don't lie. I'm just not sure where the "magic" is, if it's the motor/tune, the aero, the 300lbs off the nose, or most skeptically, the suspension. Can't wait to find out though! My biggest fear all along has been that I'd kick my own ass in my GT500. I have plenty of lap times to compare to and it will be with the same driver ;D

TMO Supporting Vendors