The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss wins Motortrend car of the year

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

batman48195

I never get tired of driving it!
I like this quote from the article

"It’s one of the easiest Best of the Year winners we’ve ever decided on, as voting was unanimous almost right away. It takes a special car to pull that off; and indeed, there’s no argument that the Boss 302 is one very special Mustang; and MotorWeek’s 2012 Driver’s Choice Best of the Year."

Brian

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
They must have installed the MGW in their test car ! ;D

The original Boss 302 from 1969, is one of the most storied of all Mustangs, and thankfully, Ford did the Boss legacy justice. But really, they did much more than just that; the new Boss 302 kicks the old one to the curb in just about every way.

There’s 444-horsepower pumping out of its heavily tweaked 5.0-liter twin-cam V8, and it’s connected to a 6-speed manual transmission with one of the best shifter’s we’ve ever laid our hands on.

Exhaust gets pumped through a new quad-exhaust system with both rear and side outlets and must be experienced to be fully appreciated.

I'm pretty sure this was posted a while back but I don't mind reading it again. ;D

My Boss shifts like butter around town.

Dvendet

Everyone's entitled to my opinion. ;)
5 DOT 0 said:
I'm pretty sure this was posted a while back but I don't mind reading it again. ;D

Are you being sincere when you say this? ...or, are you being sarcastic?

MMD

MakeMyDay said:
5 DOT 0 said:

MMD
Yes I'm sincere, it was posted before and I enjoy reading it.

Oh you probably mean the shifting. ;D Yes, the only issue I've had is the crunchies going into 2nd and 4th. That has diminished over time and with a trans fluid change. I also installed a Steeda shifter bracket which firmed up the shifts into 5th. I use a light touch with my shifter and have only missed a couple of shift on track and I chalked those up to user error.

Dvendet

Everyone's entitled to my opinion. ;)
5 DOT 0 said:
MakeMyDay said:
5 DOT 0 said:

MMD
Yes I'm sincere, it was posted before and I enjoy reading it.

Oh you probably mean the shifting. ;D Yes, the only issue I've had is the crunchies going into 2nd and 4th. That has diminished over time and with a trans fluid change. I also installed a Steeda shifter bracket which firmed up the shifts into 5th. I use a light touch with my shifter and have only missed a couple of shift on track and I chalked those up to user error.

So then, in regards to your MT-82 tranny, you would say that you're pleased with it overall? On a scale of 1 to 10 with 1 being total dissatisfaction and 10 being totally satisfied would you rate this tranny a 9? Do you drive your vehicle both track & street?

Thanks for your reply.

MMD

MakeMyDay said:
So then, in regards to your MT-82 tranny, you would say that you're pleased with it overall? On a scale of 1 to 10 with 1 being total dissatisfaction and 10 being totally satisfied would you rate this tranny a 9? Do you drive your vehicle both track & street?

Thanks for your reply.

MMD
Yes and maybe an 8.5 because of the grinding I originally had in 2nd and 4th. I've tracked my car and have missed a total of three shifts in three track days, two in my Boss and one in a BTA car, and those were on me. I've made hundreds of WOT redline shifts from 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd, and 3rd to 4th. Not all the cars are having problems and you only hear about the cars with issues. I believe a vast majority of issues you're reading about are the clutch and not the transmission. That's not to say people aren't having problems, they are, but it's not systemic. Have you driven a Boss or a GT? Check out this photo of the original shifter bracket and a Steeda bracket. The bracket didn't make a big difference but did firm up shifts into 5th and 6th where you're putting lateral pressure on the shifter. The black rubber is barely firmer than a marshmallow.

P1020943.jpg

batman48195

I never get tired of driving it!
5 DOT 0 said:
batman48195 said:
Is it easy to install the bracket? Do you need a hoist?

Thanks,
Brian
I have 10" Race Ramps and it took 10 minutes. You'll need to be able to get completely underneath your car so plan accordingly. Don't expect a lot but for $80 or less it's cheap to find out. Joe Heck racing makes one that's less money as does Barton.

Thank you! I'll check it out when I get my car. Hopefully soon!

Brian

TMO Supporting Vendors