The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss wouldn't Stand a Chance

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Well just reading my March issue of Road&Track and there is another ZL1 comparison,this time they go on to say the Boss 302 wouldn't stand a chance ,with it being down 136 h.p.So they are using the Nissan GTR. ( as it turns out not much of a comparison there either )

Anyways using R&T own road test figures the Boss they tested was faster than the ZL1 0-60m.p.h, 0-100m.p.h and 1/4 mile, it also stopped faster 60-0.

So as far as I am concerned it would stand a chance, or at least a better chance than the Camaro had against the GTR.

Wow...so much praise for the Boss in 2011 and now getting slammed in 2012. Well, I'm sure they need to fluff up the various car companies so as not to seem biased to any one. Still, we'd hope the numbers would be accurate and the numbers look very good for the Boss every time a mag shows them. And I thought the Boss performed better than a GTR in just about everything I've read where they've been compared.

The GTR is a monster with a really advanced computer system. The Boss is an awesome car, but the GTR is above it. But I'd take the money for the GTR buy 2 Bosses and be much happier! :)

DA712

Owner of 2012 & 13 Boss 302's
I'll take my Boss any day over the ZL 1. While it is a incredible car it is not a icon like the Boss is.

BTW. The numbers that they recorded in the ZL1 article were @4400 feet & mid 40's temp wise. It'll do
much better than that in warmer temps & at lower altitude.

That bein said I'd be happy to tangle with one at the stop light....

Jza1736 said:
The GTR is a monster with a really advanced computer system. The Boss is an awesome car, but the GTR is above it. But I'd take the money for the GTR buy 2 Bosses and be much happier! :)

Agreed. Comparing the Boss to a GT-R is ridiculous. Even comparing a ZL1 to a GT-R is ridiculous. What are they gonna do next? Pit the car against a Pagani Zonda? :D

The Boss isn't the best or fastest car in the world but to me it sure is the best in it's CLASS.

TheMarco said:
Jza1736 said:

Agreed. Comparing the Boss to a GT-R is ridiculous. Even comparing a ZL1 to a GT-R is ridiculous. What are they gonna do next? Pit the car against a Pagani Zonda? :D

The Boss isn't the best or fastest car in the world but to me it sure is the best in it's CLASS.

Agreed

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Ron (Roketman) has a GT-R and drives it like a pro - I trust his judgement. When he gets his 2013 Boss delivered and tweaks it a little (pads, tires) let's see his thoughts on how it compares to his GT-R in the real world. It's definitly not as fast, but I suspect it's not as far off as some of the media publications would have us believe.

And lastly - I can't wait to see a ZL1 on the track...... ;D

Not that close to the latest version of the GT-R.

http://www.fastestlaps.com/tracks/laguna_seca.html

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
5 DOT 0 said:

That link isn't working right now but I get your point. However, my point is this - put $5k or less into an LS (pads/tires/wheels/camber plates) and then compare them. That's what Ron will probably do when he gets his and what I've done to mine. The GT-R will still be faster, but $50K faster ? If you started pulling weight out of the LS it would get even closer....

And as for the ZL1 - you can't make it much lighter and it already has monster brakes and tires. That pig is done, stick a fork in it ;D

PeteInCT said:
5 DOT 0 said:

That link isn't working right now but I get your point. However, my point is this - put $5k or less into an LS (pads/tires/wheels/camber plates) and then compare them. That's what Ron will probably do when he gets his and what I've done to mine. The GT-R will still be faster, but $50K faster ? If you started pulling weight out of the LS it would get even closer....

And as for the ZL1 - you can't make it much lighter and it already has monster brakes and tires. That pig is done, stick a fork in it ;D

Put 5K into the GTR too, it is a smaller % of purchase price so should count less than 5k on the LS. Once you start modding, even just brake pads, it is hard to set up rules. Make them the same price after mods? I would guess an Evo (or STI or various other budget performance cars) that cost 80k to build (I don't know how much GTRs cost) would be pretty damn fast too.

TMO Supporting Vendors