The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss302 Crate motor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are you buying one? ;D

GA
Keep those pistons under the hood. ;) Its probably a volume thing. Welcome to the wonderful world of special editions.

There is an extensive article on Coyote swaps in this month's Hot Rod magazine. Most people are probably buying standard Coyotes or the supercharger aluminator instead of the Roadrunner.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Ford keeps replacement parts for a vehicle series available for 7 years after the last model year produced. Boss motors should be available for service replacement until 2020 at least. Ford Racing may have stopped offering it but Ford Service Parts will still have them. What is the part# and cost of the CJ motor?
Steve

I believe the part number is M-6000-CJ13 . It lists for $17,495. http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=22576

I think the both the boss motor and the CJ were dropped and replaced with the Aluminator XS rather than the cobra jet motor. You can't find either on the website under crate engines. Here's the specs:

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=23300

M-6007-A50XS.jpg

Fits: 2011-2013 Mustang GT
  • 500+ Horsepower
  • 5.0L - 302 cubic inches
  • 11.0:1 compression ratio
  • Mahle hard anodized forged pistons with Graphal low friction coating
  • Manley H-beam connecting rods with ARP2000 bolts
  • Lightweight aluminum cylinder block features cross-bolted main bearing caps and thick main bearing bulkheads for bottom-end strength
  • Ford Racing Camshafts
    • M-6550-M50BINT intake camshaft - 13mm lift / 263 degrees duration
    • M-6550-M50BEXH exhaust camshaft - 13mm lift / 290 degrees duration
  • Ford Racing M-6675-M50BR 12 quart rear sump oil pan features optimized oil drainback and windage tray to control oil and improve high-rpm performance
  • Ford Racing M-6600-50CJ High Performance billet steel oil pump
  • Ford Racing M-9424-M50CJ Cobra Jet tuned intake (pre-production intake manifold shown)
  • Ford Racing M-9926-CJ65 throttle body
  • Ford Racing M-9593-LU47 47 lb. fuel injectors
  • Four-valve-per-cylinder BOSS fully CNC ported aluminum heads
  • Roller-finger camshaft followers
  • Ford Racing M-6513-M50BR Boss valve springs
  • Ford Racing M-12A227-CJ13 high RPM pulse ring
  • Includes Boss 302 crankshaft damper – ATI damper as shown available separately

• Seems pretty nice. Is it worth more than a 302 motor at $16k though?

cp85gt said:
I believe the part number is M-6000-CJ13 . It lists for $17,495. http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=22576
That motor was only avalable for a couple of months while Ford Racing was building the 2013 Cobra Jets. That one is the actual N/A motor out of the corba jet and is rumored to make upwards of 700HP. Although to be honest I haven't seen any dyno numbers but if I recall correctly they were running low 10s at the very beginning of the season but I can't find the slip anywhere so its hard to make a guess as to what the power that they make is.

Zquez said:
I think the both the boss motor and the CJ were dropped and replaced with the Aluminator XS rather than the cobra jet motor. You can't find either on the website under crate engines. Here's the specs:

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=23300

M-6007-A50XS.jpg

Fits: 2011-2013 Mustang GT
  • 500+ Horsepower
  • 5.0L - 302 cubic inches
  • 11.0:1 compression ratio
  • Mahle hard anodized forged pistons with Graphal low friction coating
  • Manley H-beam connecting rods with ARP2000 bolts
  • Lightweight aluminum cylinder block features cross-bolted main bearing caps and thick main bearing bulkheads for bottom-end strength
  • Ford Racing Camshafts
    • M-6550-M50BINT intake camshaft - 13mm lift / 263 degrees duration
    • M-6550-M50BEXH exhaust camshaft - 13mm lift / 290 degrees duration
  • Ford Racing M-6675-M50BR 12 quart rear sump oil pan features optimized oil drainback and windage tray to control oil and improve high-rpm performance
  • Ford Racing M-6600-50CJ High Performance billet steel oil pump
  • Ford Racing M-9424-M50CJ Cobra Jet tuned intake (pre-production intake manifold shown)
  • Ford Racing M-9926-CJ65 throttle body
  • Ford Racing M-9593-LU47 47 lb. fuel injectors
  • Four-valve-per-cylinder BOSS fully CNC ported aluminum heads
  • Roller-finger camshaft followers
  • Ford Racing M-6513-M50BR Boss valve springs
  • Ford Racing M-12A227-CJ13 high RPM pulse ring
  • Includes Boss 302 crankshaft damper – ATI damper as shown available separately

• Seems pretty nice. Is it worth more than a 302 motor at $16k though?

You get get them from Tously and Levittown Ford for 13k. Is it worth it though? for 3k more than a Boss 302 Crate motor that has about 60 HP more, better oil pump, better Intake Manifold, and a High RPM trigger wheel, than yes to me it is well worth it.

Don't forget the Manley rods, Cobra jet cams, and 12 qt. 302R oil pan. For 3k more most definitely worth it. At 16k MSRP, you could probably build your own cheaper. If I had 13k to drop, I'd be putting that engine in my '06 in a heartbeat. Same power as I have now, plus being N/A and no need for all the extra weight and cooling of a supercharger? Yes Please.

On a side note, that engine gives me high hopes for the 2015 mustang if they add direct injection. Imagine a 600 hp N/A production car. I better start saving now.

TMO Supporting Vendors