The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Bossers who have been to "Track Attack" What did you use to mount your GoPro?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hello,

I've got my session next month 8/27-28. I know some of you have already been there and done that but I was making sure what mounts were used so I'll be prepared.

Thanks

Just so you know, they NO longer allow you to mount the GoPro on the inside of the windshield. Both the Boss and the FR500 that I drove had GoPro mounts on various ares of the cars.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
06mach1 said:
Just so you know, they NO longer allow you to mount the GoPro on the inside of the windshield. Both the Boss and the FR500 that I drove had GoPro mounts on various ares of the cars.

Wow, that's a surprise...did they say why?

I hate to think that something happened because a suction mount came off...

My BTA car CO/BLK #2 already had a slide mount on the middle of the dash, but I used my suction cup since I had the camera set to UPd.

drano38

Wayne
On 20 Jun, they let me use a suction cup on the inside front windscreen for my phone.
But they said we can't stick anything on the dash to accept a suction cup.
And yes, several cars have GoPro mounts on front splitters and elsewhere.

Grant 302 said:
06mach1 said:

Wow, that's a surprise...did they say why?

I hate to think that something happened because a suction mount came off...

My BTA car CO/BLK #2 already had a slide mount on the middle of the dash, but I used my suction cup since I had the camera set to UPd.

Yep, sad but true. Both 06mach1 and I were using gopro on the windshield that morning, and were told after lunch that they had received a memo that this couldn't be done anymore. I quit using mine (because it was a loner and was afraid if I put it outside, it may not stay, but I think 06mach1 used his in various places with suction mount, and it worked out fine.

jec246

I was there on the 18th. They said the reason for not allowing them inside the cars is that they could fall off and get into the pedals. I think it's BS because the first thing they handed me in the car was a bottle of water! And you know I'm not keeping that in the cup holder messing with my shifting. That bottle was flying all over the place! lol. I used my suction cup on the center of the roof. Worked fine!

SF1Z2990.jpg

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
I have been experimenting with a friend's gopro Hero2 with the suction cup mount. After looking at the video, I can't say I'm all that thrilled with the 'fish eye' distortion effect seen over the 170 degree FOV. Can't seem to find the link to the other small HD camera I had read about, thought it was ReflexHD, but some quick searches doesn't show the smaller cylindrical design. This other model touted much better audio quality and a lack of the distortion affect. Sigh, can't find that stupid link!!!

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
ace72ace said:
I have been experimenting with a friend's gopro Hero2 with the suction cup mount. After looking at the video, I can't say I'm all that thrilled with the 'fish eye' distortion effect seen over the 170 degree FOV. Can't seem to find the link to the other small HD camera I had read about, thought it was ReflexHD, but some quick searches doesn't show the smaller cylindrical design. This other model touted much better audio quality and a lack of the distortion affect. Sigh, can't find that stupid link!!!

Have you tried to change the FOV to 127 deg? Much better view.

I tried the 170 Deg seting when I first bought the camera.....not since.

http://gopro.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/HD2_UserManual_ENG1.pdf

Page 18 of the manual, link above, lists the different modes and process to toggle to the settings mentioned.

Good luck. ;D

I have used the suction cup on outside of the windshield and various painted surfaces on my old track car and never had an issue. I like the very top center of the windshield, angle it right and you get the hood so you can see how close you are to the berms while also getting a good view ahead. Down low doesn't get as good a view of the berms due to the hood blocking at a closer angle. The only issue with top of the windshield is that you do not get the sensation of speed watching since it is so high. So do one run with it on the bumper and splice them together. Bring a the clip mount in case your assigned car has them, and also bring the suction in case it doesn't.

FWIW I have the original GoPro and it is not that distorted, but it is buggy and low resolution compared to the newer ones. And the sound is horrible, only hear wind noise even inside the car, so I usually just cut the sound out.

ace72ace

TMSBOSS said:
ace72ace said:

Have you tried to change the FOV to 127 deg? Much better view.

I tried the 170 Deg seting when I first bought the camera.....not since.

http://gopro.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/HD2_UserManual_ENG1.pdf

Page 18 of the manual, link above, lists the different modes and process to toggle to the settings mentioned.

Good luck. ;D

Thanks for the tip, I will try it.

The other camera I was thinking of was the ReplayXD, not Reflex...

http://replayxd.com/product/replay-xd1080-video-camera-system/

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/shoot-em-up-high-def-action-video-camera-test-feature

ace72ace

I just experimented with this today, however you can only trim down the FOV mode from full 1080p. You don't have this option available at 960 or 720 modes... The distortion factor is cut way down here, but you better have 32gig SD cards cause it makes huge files at that resolution. I will try the medium FOV setting and see how that looks.

Thanks Ace, I guess the only correct answer is ... Personal Choice... I will try it too. I think I am going to go with 720 60fps I hear this is about the best there is for tracking and great for slow mo.

ace72ace

Ask, and ye shall receive. 8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpaR-kVOcGY&feature=youtu.be

TMO Supporting Vendors