The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Bosses Park in SCCA Protest

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The plot thickens. Ever tried squeezing blood out of a turnip? 'Bout time SCCA wakes up before they commit suicide.

http://secure.campaigner.com/Campaigner/Public/t.show?TmU6--E8Tg-1EZIX04

Mike

The SCCA continues to alienate racers. And then they wonder why their membership and participation is down.

Wow that stinks. I hope they have this sorted out for the Sonoma race.

Georgia
I just started getting into the World Challenge series last year and have enjoyed watching the Mustangs run this year via the internet. I watched the race yesterday and was extremely diasppointed to see how the Boss cars were doing and then to see this happen today... very, very disappointing to say the least. Hate to admit it, but I won't watch the races if the Mustangs are not running... just not that interested in watching the other makes on the track.

Hope this gets someone's attention.

Georgia
F.D. Sako said:
Off topic, but bluemax what site do you watch these races from?
im interested in watching more of the grassroots type races.

world-challengetv.com You can watch the races live or at a later date since they save them on the site.

batman48195

I never get tired of driving it!
More. Including a response by Ford Racing in the update area.

http://rumors.automobilemag.com/ford-mustang-boss-302-race-drivers-sit-out-in-protest-at-mid-ohio-161331.html

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Have been a member of SCCA for over 30+ years and this seems to often be an ongoing trend. When you start burning motors down, and SCCA surely understands that cost, sure seems like adding weight would have been a more common sense approach if they felt the Mustangs were showing an advantage. The car has been strong over the past years, also winning a Championship, but with the heat some of the races have been run in, and the resultant engine failures, why not take a proactive step , if they felt it was needed , to equal the playing field that does not cause excessive engine heat.

Granted the weight will limit braking and other components, but it makes things alot easier than having to replace the single most expensive component on the race car?

Not suprised.

Good for the Mustang teams. And, yeah sitting out a race weekend is HUGE coin when two yars ago a GTS entry free for a double weekend was over 4 grand. Plus everything else! Ouch.

A lot of cazy stuff goes on behind closed doors in WC. Everything is negotiable with those folks. Been there done that and moved on.

They need leadership change in the worst way.

JohnW#88 said:
Not suprised.

Good for the Mustang teams. And, yeah sitting out a race weekend is HUGE coin when two yars ago a GTS entry free for a double weekend was over 4 grand. Plus everything else! Ouch.

A lot of cazy stuff goes on behind closed doors in WC. Everything is negotiable with those folks. Been there done that and moved on.

They need leadership change in the worst way.

I could not agree with you more. You must know these people also. I like the stance that Ford has taken in the interest of fair play.

Yep, Spent a little time with them and still have the scars.

Politics and crybabies cost us a win at St. Pete a couple years ago. I've been pissed ever since. it's their sandbox and they'll make sure the weekend's outcome is what they and the corp automotve sponsors want. Trust me. They want the big teams, popular divers and new cars up front!

We were racing Honda/Acuras at the time and the final straw was when the Honda Corp guys said they really didn't want us there either. "We don't wat you winning in an older car". WC wants your money and doesn't mind you at the back of the field, but things get sticky when you're upfront in a car they don't want there.

It's safe to assume the other GTS teams pitched a fit about the Mustangs and here ya go- a nice new shiny restrictior. Engine health be damned.

Ford really needs to HOLD the line now. They should offer to help each team move to Grand-am if WC doesn't want to play fair.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
They could also have imposed a 7000 rpm rev limit instead of the restrictor, this woul lower peak power and not impact durability. Bill and John are correct, Ford has had success and now it's someone else's turn. Problem is they are costing these guys a ton in burned down motors. Same situation in Continental GS but they are using weight to slow Roush and the 302R cars down.
Steve

JohnW#88 said:
it's their sandbox and they'll make sure the weekend's outcome is what they and the corp automotve sponsors want. Trust me. They want the big teams, popular divers and new cars up front!

In concept, I understand what you are saying. But in this case...why? They want the Kia Optimas up front so...what...they can bring-in the massive Kia Optima fanbase? Who's that? The lady who lives down the street from me and maybe one other guy who lives in Kentucky and runs the Kia Optima fan page? ::) Or should they class/modify the cars so that the Mustangs and Camaros run neck and neck all season? Which one of those brings in the most fans and puts the most eyes on WC advertising? SCCA doesn't sound too brilliant to me.

This situation has been evident throughout the season. When I was at the Utah race, the Boss bosses were highly upset, because the altitude was killing their power, but SCCA had them keep the same restrictors they were running at other tracks. Obviously, the turbo cars had no problem adjusting to the altitude. It was apparent in practice and qualifying that the Mustangs couldn't keep up with the other cars. They teams ran anyway, knowing they could only finish mid-pack. And that is exactly what happened.

I love this kind of racing. I love different makes/models of cars racing against each other. To me, it is far more interesting than a spec class. But here is what I think they should change. They should apply a formula to the cars as they perform in stock trim and with a control tire. Then the cars should be classed, so that parity modifications do not exceed +/- 10% of stock performance. This keeps cars like the Boss Mustang from being gelded to the point of embarrassment and keeps cars like the Kia Optima from racing against pony cars. The Kia Optima is only in GTS, because it is a works car with massive modifications. In my world, that Kia should be a normally prepped car racing against the Jettas OR if it wanted to be a radically modified car, then it can be allowed at the top in GT, where it can race against the S60 and other spaceships that have no relation to a stock car whatsoever.

Like the Ford teams, I'm not looking for an unfair advantage, just parity.

Jimmy

Yeah, there's a backstory as to "why" that only a few know. Something or someone bitched and set the ball in motion.

Back when we raced GTS, we were told the "new" Mustang was going to be the benchmark all others would be measured.

Something changed, IMO.

TMO Supporting Vendors