The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Bought a 2012 GT with Boss crate engine I believe need advice.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I bought this car 3 months ago at kia motors opened the hood had a 302 Boss. At first i thought just an intake swap then as I noticed the valve covers were blue instead of the gray. As I looked at mounts and firewall they were all scuffed and torn. To me was signs of a motor being replaced. Oil cooler, coil overs, cai, with 95mm maf, It has the track pack also. To me the appearance package it rare to louvers raised spoiler and big fake hood scoop. Everything seems to point to it being a Boss crate engine minus the Auto 6 speed she has. Any advice on how to locate the block part number to match it online there is no vins were the GTs supposedly have them under the hood. Thanks in advance new member 2nd GT Ive tried to figure how to post a engine pic. Im not navigating around this site well on my phone.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Pull the intake and take a picture of the intake ports. I can tell you in 5 seconds if they are boss heads. Chances are if it has Boss heads it is a boss long block, some but not many have swapped Boss heads onto a GT block. Real probability is you have a boss intake on a GT motor with blue coil covers. I had that setup for 2 1/2 years.
Steve

Sounds like a def way to know. It has the gap covers and all on the side of the intake. And all the wiring harness has been unsnapped from there brackets. Who ever did it if intake swap did it right. If I pull this intake off can I reuse the gasket? I posted a pic of my engine as my profile pic. Couldnt get it to upload in the reply.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
I have the letter B that is circled, hand written with blue paint on the front of the cylinder block intake apron. Also Boss crate motors came with black fitted foam plugs in the front and rear of the Boss IM.

I haven't seen the blue circled letter "B" on coyote engines, nor have I seen the foam blocks under the intake manifold on Boss IM swap packages.

Good luck with the identification of your engine.
302 HP

Welcome to BMO. We're on Tapatalk and you can read the thread below for a tutorial on posting photos.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=212.0

Like Steve stated yours is probably a GT with Boss intake and blue coil covers but I hope it's a Boss motor! Have fun with your Mustang.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Boss swapped said:
Sounds like a def way to know. It has the gap covers and all on the side of the intake. And all the wiring harness has been unsnapped from there brackets. Who ever did it if intake swap did it right. If I pull this intake off can I reuse the gasket? I posted a pic of my engine as my profile pic. Couldnt get it to upload in the reply.

The "gaskets" are O-Rings at the bottom of the manifold in each runner. They are re-usable. Make sure to blow out the area with compressed air if possible, and then vacuum before taking the manifold off. Don't want any dirt etc getting into the intake runners.

ArizonaBOSS said:
The "gaskets" are O-Rings at the bottom of the manifold in each runner. They are re-usable. Make sure to blow out the area with compressed air if possible, and then vacuum before taking the manifold off. Don't want any dirt etc getting into the intake runners.
Thanks this is good info. Didnt know they are o rings

I had a build sheet printed for me and this girl came with extras from factory like the coil springs remote start. But i really cant tell what Im looking at here. I was trying to see if the dealership invoiced a trac pack but Idk the code for it. This thing is a pain. I herd there is a different kind of build sheet I can order? I did find out however she is one of 3,605 made In Kona blue out of the 29,000 somthin produced In 2012. Job 1 so she has the 2011 set up. Still learning more details.Thanks again for the help.

Boss swapped said:
I bought this car 3 months ago at kia motors opened the hood had a 302 Boss. At first i thought just an intake swap then as I noticed the valve covers were blue instead of the gray. As I looked at mounts and firewall they were all scuffed and torn. To me was signs of a motor being replaced. Oil cooler, coil overs, cai, with 95mm maf, It has the track pack also. To me the appearance package it rare to louvers raised spoiler and big fake hood scoop. Everything seems to point to it being a Boss crate engine minus the Auto 6 speed she has. Any advice on how to locate the block part number to match it online there is no vins were the GTs supposedly have them under the hood. Thanks in advance new member 2nd GT Ive tried to figure how to post a engine pic. Im not navigating around this site well on my phone.

Are you sure that there is no VIN stamped into the block on this engine?

Unless this is a warranty block there should be a VIN stamped on a block pad on the lower right side on the drivers side. The VIN stamped into the block is 8 characters long and will start with either a "C" for the 2012 model year or a "D" for the 2013 model year then followed up by number "5" indicating the Flat Rock Assembly plant and then followed by the 6 numeral digits for the consecutive build number.

If you can determine a VIN for your engine you should then be able to determine what Boss car it came out of assuming it is not a warranty replacement block?

Good luck.

I havnt seen the vin yet and Ive looked hard could be over looking it. I do know that it didnt come out of a Boss car though due to her only having ford racing plate on the Intake unlike the plate on a actual Boss mdl. I was leaning torwards crate engine for that reason. They have Boss engines all over the Web that are factory Boss set ups with forged Internals and so on. It may be a Gt with Intake. I plan to pull the intake when my back heels and find out for sure.

Boss swapped said:
I havnt seen the vin yet and Ive looked hard could be over looking it. I do know that it didnt come out of a Boss car though due to her only having ford racing plate on the Intake unlike the plate on a actual Boss mdl. I was leaning torwards crate engine for that reason. They have Boss engines all over the Web that are factory Boss set ups with forged Internals and so on. It may be a Gt with Intake. I plan to pull the intake when my back heels and find out for sure.

Both the GT and Boss engines come with a VIN on the engine pad which is located on the lower part of the engine on the drivers side not far from the oil pan.

It is hard to miss therefore you may have a crate engine or warranty engine as you have earlier indicated?

There will not be a great difference in a "drag race" because the stock boss motor is only rated at 24 more horsepower than the stock 5.0

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Boss swapped said:
Its not a Boss I raced another 5.0 not that much different disappointed greatly..

Hi BossSwapped:

Don't be disappointed because you found a really great forum to chat and learn about your S197 Mustang. The Members here are most helpful in all aspects of our Mustangs, from diagnose & repair, to modding and go fast parts. Even tips and events to improve you driving skills. From beginner to Addict, you'll find all levels of expertise here, so don't worry about the engine as there is a little Boss DNA in all Mustangs and this forum will help you find the best that your car has to offer.

Stick around as there is no Boss requirement for BMO, in fact you'll soon learn that BMO is where all Mustangs are Boss!

Looking forward to reading about your Mustang ownership and driving experiences.

Now, tell us more about this race. . . . .

All the Best,
302 Hi Pro
Dave

Disconnect the left PCV hose and pull the driver's side blue cover off. To understand how to remove the PCV hose, you can try the one on the passenger side first, to see how the plastic clip works. For the driver's side, you will need a small screwdriver to undo the clip. Once the blue cover is off, you should find a build tag on the cam cover. If the engine is from a Boss, then "BOSSM" should appear on the label. (Assuming the engine hasn't been otherwise modified)

Also, what the does tag on top of the intake say? Is it Ford Racing, or a serial number? If it is a serial number, you can check it against this list.

PTRocks said:
Disconnect the left PCV hose and pull the driver's side blue cover off. To understand how to remove the PCV hose, you can try the one on the passenger side first, to see how the plastic clip works. For the driver's side, you will need a small screwdriver to undo the clip. Once the blue cover is off, you should find a build tag on the cam cover. If the engine is from a Boss, then "BOSSM" should appear on the label. (Assuming the engine hasn't been otherwise modified)

Also, what the does tag on top of the intake say? Is it Ford Racing, or a serial number? If it is a serial number, you can check it against this list.
It says ford racing. I was looking on ford racings website and the apperance seemed to be that of the aftermatket Boss Engine. As soon as this rain stops Ill give the tag a look. Now that I know exactly were to look behind the pad if there is one to look behind Great advice...

302 Hi Pro said:
Hi BossSwapped:

Don't be disappointed because you found a really great forum to chat and learn about your S197 Mustang. The Members here are most helpful in all aspects of our Mustangs, from diagnose & repair, to modding and go fast parts. Even tips and events to improve you driving skills. From beginner to Addict, you'll find all levels of expertise here, so don't worry about the engine as there is a little Boss DNA in all Mustangs and this forum will help you find the best that your car has to offer.

Stick around as there is no Boss requirement for BMO, in fact you'll soon learn that BMO is where all Mustangs are Boss!

Looking forward to reading about your Mustang ownership and driving experiences.

Now, tell us more about this race. . . . .

All the Best,
302 Hi Pro
Dave
Thanks Dave Great tips helpful advice ...we race pony cars at the industrial park here at home. Which is funny cause all the places I have heen stationed had that same spot were the people who meet on the street would go and race...Kapolie Hi, Watertown. NY and of course here...Well she took down the Challenger RT the week before badly...but this weekend and a trinity tuner he Ran fender to fender till 3rd.. me and another 5.0 ran hard this weekend I won every roll start. He won every time off the light with me having twice the wheels spin as him. Never been big on aftermarket wheels but thinking there needed now with rubber

TMO Supporting Vendors