The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Brake bleed questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I just finished installing my SS brake lines as well as OEM track rotors and track pads. I also bought some Motul RBF 660. I have a Motive pressure bleeder...
I'm ready to bleed the brakes and I searched in vain a clear way of doing it (pressure used? wheel sequence? nipple sequence?)
For the pressure bleeder I've read everything ranging from 12-15 psi all the way up to 30-50 psi! I dont want to damage anything with too much pressure.
wheel sequence I've seen classic RR-RL-FR-FL sequence (starting farthest from MC)... but I also saw FL-FR-RR-RL!
nipple sequence I've seen inside first and outside first!!
So a lot of confusion! It would be cool to make a "how-to" thread on the subject based on the replys.
So what are you using/doing to bleed the brakes?
Thanks!

Start the Motive bleeder pressure at 15psi. When it starts to drop below 12, give it a few pumps. It wont hurt anything when it goes lower, just slows you down.

For the sequence, start the furthest away from the MC and work your way forward (RR-RL-FR-FL).

If you have bleeders on the both the inside and outside of the caliper, start out the outside and then the inside. I heard of folks doing one more quick flush on the outside bleeder, but I don't worry about that.

Motul is good stuff and I have been using it for years. Just keep in mind it looses its 'high temp' properties pretty quick so it's a good idea to flush before HPDE.

Last edited:

mattlqx

Mustangless
Yeah, I use anywhere from 8-12psi. Anything will move the fluid, it's just a matter of speed.

I've typically used outside-inside for the bleed screws. I think this is a matter of preference or maybe I'm just wrong, but my reasoning is the outside is the farthest from the cylinder and that's the order of the calipers anyway.

Thanks for the replies guys! I will be doing this tonight if time allows! Car is up on stands for 4 days now... way too long I need to drive it ASAP!!

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Deficiently agree with furthest from MC first, starting with Right/Rear caliper.

Keeping this in mind, do the same with the front caliper multi bleeder valve setup and bleed the valve furthest from the brake line entry to the caliper.

For me with the 4 piston Brembo Boss set up, I bleed the bottom caliper valve, then the top bleeder valve.

Good luck and keep us posted on your result,
302 Hi Pro

DFW, TX
"What do I use to bleed my brakes?"

I read some tip in like Popular Mechanics a long time ago...
Take a vacuum cap that fits on your bleeder hose, use a razor blade to cut a slit in the end.

Instant one way valve.

Just put the end in a container to catch the fluid, like an old water bottle with a hole cut in the cap. I just crack the bleeder screw and pump the brake pedal.

I have a vacuum bleeder, but this works faster.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel