The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Brake Clearance

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey guys, just joined up 😎

I've slowly realized I went down a rabbit hole, little by little when I should've sold my car and bought a PP years ago.

I've basically upgraded every part of the suspension at this point to be on par with a PP or better in some parts. Once I upgrade brakes I'll be complete with the build until I purchase a truck to daily drive and tow the Mustang which will be at least a year.

I bought a 15' 50th Anniversary premium. I've got three sets of wheels, the stock 19x8.5" wheels, a staggered set of Niche 20x9"/20x10" M171's, and then my track set SVE 19x10. The SVE wheels have a ton of offset for bigger brakes, but my other two sets for daily use really worry me.

I've been having a hell of a time finding an answer if they'll clear the six piston upgrade calipers. There's not a ton of room between the wheel and caliper and all my buddies do drag racing so mostly have non-PP setups and I can't swap one to see.

I'm not against selling the Niche and stocks to purchase a new daily set, it's just a hassle.

As a side question after that novel I just wrote, should I pony up over 3 times the price on brakes or stick with the Brembo 6 Piston upgrade from Vorshlag until I really get into time trials etc? I'm just doing hpde now.

XABlfoTw.jpeg

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
My apologies , but your post is a bit confusing as it would seem obvious that you could check both your other rims by mounting them, so are you saying you already have the Vorschlag system and are wondering if the other rims would fit once you get the system installed? Give us a bit more info as well as what tires you are running , since moving to Time Trials will dictate a much more aggressive tire and in my personal opinion neither of the secondary rims is to your advantage. The competition ramps up once you move to TT and you don't want to buy numerous products only to find they are not the ticket against your fellow participants.

Gut reaction would be to sell both the sets of rims you have and get a 19x11 set of Apex rims ( group buy on right now). You are in a great part of the Country since you are close to the Central Region of NASA and the Great Lakes Region of NASA - plenty of fun track time with reasonable drives either direction.

Feel free to call me about either group (NASA ) and you need to put the Ford and Mustang Roundup ( www.racemph.com ) on your schedule for October of this year.

There are some good Time Trials in Topeka , also , as I am also a member with SCCA ( for 39 years ) , but belong to both groups as it gives on plenty of track options.

Sincerely,
Bill Pemberton
[email protected]
1-402-677-5864

Last edited:
Oh, no no. Sorry for the confusion. I am just trying to find out if the 6 Piston Brembos will clear the stock 19x8.5" wheels. I'm going to buy the Vorshlag kit, just trying to see if I'll need a new set of daily wheels.

Once I eventually go to TT I know all sorts of things will need to be changed, but I've got at least a couple years for that.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
You could always just call the friendly folks at Vorschlag, I am sure they can give you a solid answer, since they have modified a plethora of Mustangs of all shapes and sizes.

Left you a PM also.

MD
Guard green is such an awesome color. You're making me have ragrets again on choosing ingot silver ha. I too went down the base model rabbit hole with PP parts (brembos, master cyl, radiator, front splitter and undertray). Your 19x8.5 50th anniv stockers will clear the PP brembos. The 50th anniv GT could be optioned with gloss black PP brembos and it had the same 19x8.5 wheels.

IMO the PP brembos are very good and it's easy to source pads/rotors/parts for them. There is also room to grow with cooling, race pads, and 2-piece rotors so they should not be a hindrance for TT events. There is a lot of chatter regarding the PP master cylinder but it is not needed. I've had both master cyls (19 track days with the base master + PP brembos) and the only noticeable difference with the PP master is a slightly shorter pedal throw. Two other cars that I know of, one manual and one auto (also guard) ran the PP brembos without switching masters and there was no adverse effect. I switched to the PP master after friction material from a grenaded clutch worked its way up the clutch line and into the master reservoir ending its useful life.

Not to dissuade you from supporting a TMO Vendor but you can piece that exact kit together with brand new parts for less than $700 ($600 w/o the master cyl). I can PM you the parts list if posting it here is frowned upon due to the Vendor selling their package.

TMO Supporting Vendors