The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Brake Cooling Idea?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So I ran across these pictures on M6G of a new gt500 and it got me thinking. I need to add brake cooling, though don’t have a PP so no tunnels on my under-tray. I’d like to run deflectors vs hoses.

Looks like the gt500’s went to brake cooling ducts from the front bumper vs a tunnel under tray. See below. So I was thinking use some 4” brake ducting hose between front lower grill or fog lights back to the wheel well liner, pointed at a vorshlag deflector plate. Any reason why you guys think it wouldn’t work as well as the tunnels on a stock PP under tray?

F14F9A3B-1B09-46DA-98E9-645B4BAADE4C.png

A0AAE936-E866-41C2-97D0-91A64C142007.png

6E6EB516-8651-49E5-93B8-0B42359A113D.png

yotah1

Ford Employee
Detroit
It will work. It will never be as efficient as a full hose going to a plate right next to the caliper, aiming the air to the inside of the vents on your rotors, but it will work nonetheless. The GT350 hahs similar tubes going from the front bumper to the wheel wells, and the GT4 cars have these cut (no wheels wells anyway) and a 4" hose duct taped onto it.

It will work. It will never be as efficient as a full hose going to a plate right next to the caliper, aiming the air to the inside of the vents on your rotors, but it will work nonetheless...

That's what I would have said right up to the point that our testing proved otherwise. The deflector with just a front diffuser cooled better than a ducted backing plate. And we tested a setup like the GT500, with both a diffuser under the splitter and a rigid hose delivering even more air directed towards the deflector plate.

Here's the shot of the smooth sided tubing in addition to the PP diffuser.
IMG_1794-L.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors