The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Brake cooling kit (dumb) question...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
steveespo said:
Got my hard brakes order in. Do you keep the stock shims or replace them? I would think replace them.
Steve

Use the stock shims on your street pads; remove the stock shims w/ the street pads and leave them out, put the Ti shims in when you put your track pads in.

ChuckP said:
Oh yeah, as for the brake fluid I may go back to ATE after I use the Motul 600 I have. I really like the fact it comes in 2 colors which helps with fluid changes. I'm hoping with the cooling kit installed I won't need anything more exotic than ATE blue and gold.
Chuck I've only used ATE Super Blue and ATE Type 200 Amber in the Boss and in over 25 track days I've never so much as had a soft pedal. It has to be the lack of cooling ducts. I'm not exactly easy on brakes as I've gone through at least 3 sets of rotors and probably 10 sets of pads. I bleed a couple pedal pumps from each bleeder before every event and the fluid generally comes out almost new looking. By doing that I continually have fresh fluid going in and I'm not sure how many track days you had on the fluid you boiled.

ArizonaGT said:
Also the Motul fluid is 2x the price of the ATE--the prices are similar per bottle, but the Motul bottle is a little less than half the size of the ATE bottle.
True, but twice the price of ATE is still cheap compared to some of the other choices! Turns out I have a sealed liter of blue in the garage and blue in the car now. I'll stick the Motul in this weekend and use for a couple of events and switch back to ATE. It should be fine with the cooling kit installed.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
CaliMR said:
Anyone tried the titanium shims? They were being hyped in the import scene to keep heat out of the fluid, but I suspect it was mostly snake oil. Don't know anyone who actually tried them.

Dang...you guys are making me want to spend money I don't have!! LOL

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
ArizonaGT said:
The shims are cheap, compared to the other stuff you will want to buy after reading here for a while

$68, yeah, sorta...but $200+ for the 'vented' ones. Eesh. Can't believe I'm considering it. I mean for SHIMS.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Grant 302 said:
ArizonaGT said:
The shims are cheap, compared to the other stuff you will want to buy after reading here for a while

$68, yeah, sorta...but $200+ for the 'vented' ones. Eesh. Can't believe I'm considering it. I mean for SHIMS.

I would not buy the vented ones--they seem completely counterproductive to the idea of putting a thermal barrier between the pad and pistons.

So that's one less thing to worry about :)

ArizonaGT said:
I would not buy the vented ones--they seem completely counterproductive to the idea of putting a thermal barrier between the pad and pistons.

So that's one less thing to worry about :)

I'm no expert but I would tend to agree with you on this.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
jeepinocala said:
someone post a picture of these shims. There are vented shims?

Jeep
Sorry but I just installed my Hard Brakes shims this AM before seeing your post. They are titanium size of the backing plate and the .5mm is the same thickness as stock shim which I replaced when installing my Carbotechs. Model # TS-T-D1001 is the part#. I am running Pocono tomorrow so will report on new pads and plates if there are any issues.
Steve

http://hardbrakes.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6_11_37&products_id=30

There is a pic of them half way down the page.

I do not drive much on the street but I have not noticed a big difference in noise.

TMO Supporting Vendors