The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Brake Dragging Sound in Reverse

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Dothan, Alabama
After my last track day I have noticed sometimes when I put the car in reverse and start to back up it sounds like my driver rear brake is dragging. I haven't seen any issues with my actual caliper, or any oddities on my rotor. There are no issues braking at low speeds or high speeds. All the suspension components look fine, and I can't see anywhere the wheel is dragging on anything. Could this noise be coming from the diff and/or axles? I know this is kind of an odd question, I'm just not sure where to go from here. I have the stock brake setup in the rear with Carbotech XP10s, and I don't hear/feel any dragging other than reverse occasionally. Thanks

Apex Wheels

Race Proven, Street Approved
Supporting Vendor
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Bay Area, CA
This also happens to mine randomly, I've even replaced everything back there (not because of the sound, just needed to) and it still comes and goes. Figured it was the pads/eBrake so glad to hear others are experiencing similar.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
Completely normal as many others have confirmed, and I will note the sound becomes next level with the GT500 caliper brackets and larger rotors. The stock setup has an “anti-moan” bracket to help dampen some of that noise, however the GT500’s didn’t have a similar bracket. I usually just tap the brakes when the noise starts with a quick release and it will calm things down.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Raleigh, NC
After my last track day I have noticed sometimes when I put the car in reverse and start to back up it sounds like my driver rear brake is dragging. I haven't seen any issues with my actual caliper, or any oddities on my rotor. There are no issues braking at low speeds or high speeds. All the suspension components look fine, and I can't see anywhere the wheel is dragging on anything. Could this noise be coming from the diff and/or axles? I know this is kind of an odd question, I'm just not sure where to go from here. I have the stock brake setup in the rear with Carbotech XP10s, and I don't hear/feel any dragging other than reverse occasionally. Thanks
When you say "dragging", what did it sound like? metal-on-metal? Or brake bad not releasing from the rotor? And I assume that you are not setting the e-brake after tracking.

I had a sound like metal-on-metal (sounded like sheet metal scraping) pop up twice a couple of years ago. I took everything apart, could not find anything, it went away. Was not while I was at the track. I guess something got wedged in there somewhere and worked itself out. But twice, about 2 months apart? Seemed odd. I was confused, but after about 1-1/2 years, hasn't happened again. Unrelated, but the one issue I see repeatedly on track days is that my backup camera cuts out every afternoon, without fail, that I am at the track. 🤔

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Dothan, Alabama
When you say "dragging", what did it sound like? metal-on-metal? Or brake bad not releasing from the rotor? And I assume that you are not setting the e-brake after tracking.

I had a sound like metal-on-metal (sounded like sheet metal scraping) pop up twice a couple of years ago. I took everything apart, could not find anything, it went away. Was not while I was at the track. I guess something got wedged in there somewhere and worked itself out. But twice, about 2 months apart? Seemed odd. I was confused, but after about 1-1/2 years, hasn't happened again. Unrelated, but the one issue I see repeatedly on track days is that my backup camera cuts out every afternoon, without fail, that I am at the track. 🤔
I never set the ebrake while I'm at the track. Sounded like something that didn't want to rotate or hadn't it a good while. I'm pretty positive it was the e-brake. Since @Apex3V commented I have yet to hear the noise again now that I'm paying more attention to the ebrake or not using it entirely. When I first heard the noise I thought a rock had wedged itself into my caliper. I wound up disassembling as much as I could looking to no success.

TMO Supporting Vendors