The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Brake Duct Screens

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Not liking the idea of the front holes for the brake duct tubing being open, my wife picked up some window screening from Home Depot today.

While installing my brake ducts, I cut out some screening and wrapped it around the back of the front valence insert so the tube clamp would hold it in place.

Here is a screen shot with the screen being held in place with a rubber band.

ValanceScreen.jpg

Here are pix of them installed.

BrakeDuctScreenRight.jpg

BrakeDuctScreenLeft.jpg

I went a different route with covers to keep everything out when not in use. $10 from Lowe's. ;) BTW this was the idea of another member.

P1020652.jpg
P1020653.jpg

Not bad, I'll look into this. Would like to have something stronger, big bug might blow thru. Like to have a screen removable from the front. Easy to clean

5 dot 0, good idea on covers, you need a tag with, remove before flying!

cloud9 said:
ArizonaGT said:
I just leave em open...
Me too

Me three.

I think some of you are getting a little anal about stuff getting in your brake ducts. A bug, dust, or a little tire rubber are not going to effect the brakes at all.

I would think that small of a screen will actually hinder flow. Also, when your out on track and you plug up your screen, then you have no flow to the brakes. JMHO

Dean#4AI said:
cloud9 said:
ArizonaGT said:
I just leave em open...
Me too

I think some of you are getting a little anal about stuff getting in your brake ducts. A bug, dust, or a little tire rubber are not going to effect the brakes at all.

The track really isn't the issue for me. It's more so being in the garage keeping garbage out. Mice, insects etc and the damage they may do. (Of course I'm sure they can find their way in from the other side as well). I may put some there as well if it ever becomes a problem.

I looked at the plug method but I'd probably forget to put it in so came up with the screen idea.

If I were worried about something possibly going through and getting into the disc, I wouldn't be using the screen to start with. As somebody pointed out there is a good chance something may hit it hard enough to knock it through tube anyway.

Finally, cosmetically it looks better than an open hole to me and it was fun to come up with.

Here is another way to put screens in the brake ducts. I safety wired them in like the Boss 302S grill screens. Ground the edges to the OD and wrapped with duct tape just to make sure it wouldn't cut into the brake ducting. Took me some time like threading a needle but luckily my wife has small fingers to do the second one.

brake%2Bduct.jpg

brake%2Bduct2.jpg

One problem with all this is a huge reduction in flow.Ok on the street but not at all good on the track.The window screen is likely over 50% closed and even the 1/2" mesh is 20 % or so.You can look up the numbers at McMaster-Carr's website.
Guy

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
+1. I think keeping them fully open on the track is essential. For street driving (if I did drive her on the street) I would be OK with just fully blocking them since the added cooling is truly no needed.

Sesshomurai

bulldogracer said:
Here is another way to put screens in the brake ducts. I safety wired them in like the Boss 302S grill screens. Ground the edges to the OD and wrapped with duct tape just to make sure it wouldn't cut into the brake ducting. Took me some time like threading a needle but luckily my wife has small fingers to do the second one.

brake%2Bduct.jpg

Nice. This makes good sense. Let's the air flow through, but keeps largish objects from entering....

bulldogracer said:

brake%2Bduct.jpg

brake%2Bduct2.jpg

I did the same thing but painted mine with several coasts of black paint. All in all it was pretty easy and ended up looking great.

TMO Supporting Vendors