The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Brake Failure Boss 302

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Towards end of fourth session of HOD track day March 25th at Laguna Seca -- my brake pedal on my 2012 Boss 302 completely hit the floor going into Andretti Hairpin with no stopping power and I ended up going into the tire wall. I have stock Brembo calipers, stock rotors w/Raybestos front pads and high temp brake fluid. Brakes were behaving fine up to that point. Has anyone else had this issue??

BossStan said:
Towards end of fourth session of HOD track day March 25th at Laguna Seca -- my brake pedal on my 2012 Boss 302 completely hit the floor going into Andretti Hairpin with no stopping power and I ended up going into the tire wall. I have stock Brembo calipers, stock rotors w/Raybestos front pads and high temp brake fluid. Brakes were behaving fine up to that point. Has anyone else had this issue??

Sorry to hear you had the problem & hope the car isn't too badly damaged. You haven't said what part failed? Brake line, caliper seal, master cylinder?

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Wow, bad news. Are you OK? How bad is the car?

Was the pedal getting soft throughout the session, or any indication that the brakes were getting hot? What fluid were you using? If it just happened out of nowhere, I would think this could be a brake line failure or something as opposed to fluid boiling.

Tucson 302

2013 Black LS #439
Man I hope things weren't too bad. Pushing in the pedal only to realize there is nothing there going into a turn would require a clean pair of drawers for me!

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Crud. You're the first I've heard of... And like everyone else, I hope you're okay or not seriously injured.

No signs of anything wrong going into 11? You didn't mention brake ducts...do you have them?

Bummer. I hope you're OK and the car doesn't have to much damage.

I was talking to my friend last weekend at the racetrack and he told that last year one of the front brake caliper on his Porsche 911 froze and didn't retract the pad. It boil the fluid doing about 130mph and had to go into the gravel trap.

Luckily for him, he "only" destroyed the bottom of his car.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Hope you are ok and that your car can recover quickly!! Thats one of the scariest things that can happen at the track. It happend to me with ATE brake fluid and HPS hawk pads. Took me about a year to trust my brakes again. Brake ducts, race pads and Castrol SRF fixed the problem.

Hi Stan, I heard about this accident but didn't realize it was you. I hope you're doing well and your Boss is repairable.

Hope you, and then the car are OK.
Have you done a post mortem to see if there was a mechanical failure, it seems very unusual to completely lose the breaks at the end of a straight and it not be some type of part failure. The other issue could be "knock back" where the pads have been pushed back into the caliper but that usually manifests itself in a low pedal that can be pumped up, not a complete failure.
However, I remember a few years ago in GS where a mustang came in and the brakes heat soaked in the pits while doing some adjustments, the driver complained of a low pedal and then completely lost the brakes, as I recall it was Jack Jr.
I'm interested to see what you discover.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
blacksheep-1 said:
Hope you, and then the car are OK.
Have you done a post mortem to see if there was a mechanical failure, it seems very unusual to completely lose the breaks at the end of a straight and it not be some type of part failure. The other issue could be "knock back" where the pads have been pushed back into the caliper but that usually manifests itself in a low pedal that can be pumped up, not a complete failure.
However, I remember a few years ago in GS where a mustang came in and the brakes heat soaked in the pits while doing some adjustments, the driver complained of a low pedal and then completely lost the brakes, as I recall it was Jack Jr.
I'm interested to see what you discover.

17p52zi9b0yihjpg.jpg

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Good grief!!.That picture made me gringe....Got to ask, what brake fluid was that??? I hope BossStan's car was not so dramatic! Some one pointed out to me that photo was from 2012

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel