The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Brake fluid change question?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Greenbrier, TN
On my 2015 GT PP manual Trans. I want to change out my brake fluid So I picked up a couple of bottles of Motul 600.
Reading previous posts left me with a few questions.
Nothing talks about the fluid for the clutch other than in the Castrol SRF feed about how to modify the M/C to add the GM clutch reservoir? Do I need to do this modification? or do I just need to flush the clutch line? If so, what’s the best way. Thanks!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Arizona
There is no good way to flush the clutch line. You have to pull the trans and remove the throwout bearing assembly to flush the fluid. I used SRF for years without bleeding the clutch line and it was fine.

When I pulled the trans to replace the clutch I added a dedicated fluid reservoir for the clutch just in case SRF does have adverse effects on the throwout bearing. I'm skeptical that it does but having the separate reservoir is nice.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Personally, I did not do the divorced master for the clutch but I replaced the OEM line with a braided stainless steel line. I've had no problems with that solution. Works fine even with a Exedy racing clutch. When that clutch was installed the stainless line was also installed and bled with Motul 600 so I know what's in it now. But everyone's needs are different and this doesn't work for some situations. My car gets pounded pretty hard and it has worked fine so far.

In the V6L
On my 2015 GT PP manual Trans. I want to change out my brake fluid So I picked up a couple of bottles of Motul 600.
Reading previous posts left me with a few questions.
Nothing talks about the fluid for the clutch other than in the Castrol SRF feed about how to modify the M/C to add the GM clutch reservoir? Do I need to do this modification? or do I just need to flush the clutch line? If so, what’s the best way. Thanks!
A couple of points, based on doing this stuff for years. First, a couple of bottles isn't really enough to do the full flush. You can do a flush with 2 bottles, but you might not actually change all the fluid in the system. I use about 1.5 liters when I do mine and I test the fluid coming out of the bleed valves with a moister meter to be sure I've got fresh fluid coming out.

Second, SRF is the only "streetable" brake fluid I know of that can damage rubber bits. It happened to me, so it's a real thing. But, if you're not using SRF, then don't worry about it. RBF600 has been in use for a long time - I think Fred Flintstone endorsed it - and there are no reports out there about it causing damage inside the system.

The only reason I'd bother with the separate clutch line setup - if you're not using SRF - is because some clutch slave cylinders will allow dust from the clutch face to get into the brake fluid. It shows up as dark flecks in the fluid in the master cylinder reservoir. If you're getting the black flecks in your fluid now, then you might consider it.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel