The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Brake fluid puking out of master cylinder on track

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MA
Hi guys, finally went out yesterday on track with my car. It wasn't a very hot day, but after each session I had to clean brake fluid from the apron and from the reservoir. I have always had this issue since the car was new, and I believe it's been discussed before about the master cylinder being overfilled from the factory. I have had it happen on the street, and changed the cap, but since I lowered the fluid level 1/4" below max I have not experienced it on the street. There was another boss at the event and he did not experience this, but he recently had his brake fluid changed to dot 4. Is it possible my master cylinder reservoir is bad, or is the fluid really getting that hot? Thanks

This is a common problem. I fill mine just a tad over the min mark, and haven't really had any issues with leaks since, just the usual "sweating".
Also, as a precaution, put a wristband on the cap, or wrap a towel around the reservoir to prevent any drips onto the paint.

MA
Thanks for the help. Any concern with cloth in the engine compartment? It gets hot under there!

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
93cobra said:
Thanks for the help. Any concern with cloth in the engine compartment? It gets hot under there!

Wristband or piece of elastic from a sock will be just fine snugged up on the cap. Other option is a shop towel and a zip tie lol

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
I run 1/2 way between Min and Max on the reservoir.

As an FYI (and you probably already know this)... make sure to thoroughly flush / clean any area where brake fluid contacts your paint. I've now got a bald spot on my frame rail from Ford's overfilled reservoir from the factory.

We use AP 600, it's cheap, it works and we don't have a big problem with the expansion thing in the master cylinder. We also use some pretty massive cooling ducts and try not to let the brakes heat soak, if we know we are going to be parked awhile (like during a red flag) we'll move the car up a couple of feet every minute or so.

blacksheep-1 said:
We use AP 600, it's cheap, it works and we don't have a big problem with the expansion thing in the master cylinder. We also use some pretty massive cooling ducts and try not to let the brakes heat soak, if we know we are going to be parked awhile (like during a red flag) we'll move the car up a couple of feet every minute or so.

The race cars use a different brake booster with a larger fluid reservoir which probably helps

EDIT - link to FRPP brake booster

http://fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=8112

VTBoss302 said:
The race cars use a different brake booster with a larger fluid reservoir which probably helps

EDIT - link to FRPP brake booster

http://fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=8112

That may be true I only see the racing aspect of it, same with clutches, we prefer a single disc which accommodates our trans but not what most of you are running.

TMO Supporting Vendors