The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Brake Fluid Ratings & Info

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I wouldn't use it if it's been open for over a year.

Brake Fluids usually have a shelf like of one year after unsealed, but I agree don't use it as its most certainly has absorbed some moisture. I always use all of a new bottle just to make certain of a complete flush anyway.

What sort of shelf life does a partially used bottle of Motul RBF 600 have? I always seem to wind up with some left over and have 3 partial bottles that have traveled back and forth to track days unused/needed.
If they are partial bottles you obviously didn't feel like using them on previous top offs so toss them. I used an opened bottle of Mobil 1 once for a new oil sample reference. It came back "Check With Supplier - Sample Contaminated with dirt" Motul is sealed with an inert gas during packaging, once opened it as air in it.

What sort of shelf life does a partially used bottle of Motul RBF 600 have? I always seem to wind up with some left over and have 3 partial bottles that have traveled back and forth to track days unused/needed.

IMO there is a lot of "hysteria" regarding opened bottles of brake fluid. One lab test I saw (sorry don't have it handy) showed that , yes, it does absorb moisture but not much and not enough to change wet boiling point by more than a few degrees f. This over some months of time and sealed plastic bottles.

I use my opened bottles up as clutch fluid or in my beater vehicles.

:)

Lately been using Wilwood 570.

From sector111

http://www.sector111.com/images/products/performance/brake_bits/torque/The ABCs of Brake Fluid.pdf

Last edited:

Wingrider

'11 GT500, 99% Track Car. Lots of mods & I coach
The bottles were given back to me from the shop with plastic stretched over the opening and then the lid screwed back on. I don't care about the disposal of partial bottles and carry the most recent one with me to track days. I have just collected 3 or 4 of them and was curious. I don't see myself using them to be honest once I've moved "to a new bottle"

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel