The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

brake fluid

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hi,
Did anyone else have an over-filled (from the factory or dealer prep) mastercylinder reservoir on their BOSS. I've noticed a small amount of brake fluid on the front and outside of the reservoir on the top ridge of the reservoirs parting line. My reservoir is filled above the cold line (checked cold) and this is the second time I have cleaned off the leaking fluid....maybe amounting to 3 or 4 drops worth. Any insight welcomed...thanks BOSS2664

I've had the same issue after tracking the car. I assumed it was building pressure and leaking from the cap. I've since run it between the max arrow and the seam in the middle of the reservoir and not had the issue. Does yours actually have a "cold" marking? A friend with a GT has the same issue. I don't think the factory cap seals well.

Thanks cloud,
No, it actually says max on both sides, I think I am going to siphon off a bit to allow expansion. thanks

drano38

Wayne
BOSS2664 said:
I think I am going to siphon off a bit to allow expansion.

I use a syringe to pull extra fluid from the reservoir--easy to find up here in SD as farm stores are everywhere. If you've got a good siphon techinique, then by all means, don't change now!
I also do the same prior to replacing fluid so I can remove as much as possible from the master cylinder, fill with new fluid, then start the flush.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
I always run mine about 1/2 to 1/3 of the way above the "seam" in the two halves of the reservoir. Otherwise you will get leakage from heat expansion.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
I have a little Brembo cap "sock" designed for motorcycle master cylinders on my cap $10 for 2 on eBay. Had the same problem when tracking, Super Blue drips on the chassis under the MC. Looks cool, no more drips. I never have pics ready when responding to these posts.
Steve

I had the same problem and had my dealer look at it during scheduled maint. they have ordered a new master cylinder, claiming that it needed to be replaced. work happens this weekend along with the trackey software. i'll know after the work if they were right. any bets?

steveespo said:
I have a little Brembo cap "sock" designed for motorcycle master cylinders on my cap $10 for 2 on eBay. Had the same problem when tracking, Super Blue drips on the chassis under the MC. Looks cool, no more drips. I never have pics ready when responding to these posts.
Steve
Oh great another useless (not really) item I need to buy but they are $11 each. A friend of mine uses one on his BMW.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110792153842?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

BOSS2058 said:
I had the same problem and had my dealer look at it during scheduled maint. they have ordered a new master cylinder, claiming that it needed to be replaced. work happens this weekend along with the trackey software. i'll know after the work if they were right. any bets?
Unless the cap's been redesigned, I'm betting it will still leak ;)

My cap leaked a little when I 1st got the car, A retired Master Mechanic told me to take the cap off, rinse the cap , and seal with clean cool water, the air blow dry it completely before reinstalling.
I did this , works fine now. He said if any fluid got on seal when the intalled it, there is a hard time getting a good dry seal.

TMO Supporting Vendors