The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Brake flush. Flush clutch as well?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Yes. If you have the stock reservoir all you can do is circulated fluid through the clutch and pull out the old through the top. I use a cheap turkey baster from Walmart to remove the old fluid. Then run clean through, pump the pedal Many times, remove the fluid repeat a few times. Then bleed the brakes.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Washington
Just to make sure I understand the procedure(stock s550 reservoir). My fluid level is at max level with old fluid... Remove cap, pump the clutch many times(20ish). Return to reservoir, extract fluid with the baster down to max. Add fluid, repeat 3x times, till its circulated. Then proceed with the power bleeder for my brakes to finish the work. Making assumptions. I changed to a stainless line a couple years ago so drained it then and got replenished but haven't since then

Just to make sure I understand the procedure(stock s550 reservoir). My fluid level is at max level with old fluid... Remove cap, pump the clutch many times(20ish). Return to reservoir, extract fluid with the baster down to max. Add fluid, repeat 3x times, till its circulated. Then proceed with the power bleeder for my brakes to finish the work. Making assumptions. I changed to a stainless line a couple years ago so drained it then and got replenished but haven't since then
No need to pump the clutch with the old fluid in the reservoir. Extract the old fluid - basically empty the reservoir - fill with new fluid to max then pump the clutch. You want the new fluid to circulate. As @TMSBOSS said repeat that procedure a few times. After you're done with the clutch procedure extract the fluid one more time and bleed the brakes making sure the reservoir never empties. Also, make sure you do not hit the brake or clutch in-between the extraction and filling to prevent th system from sucking air.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Washington
Ok that was my worry with emptying the reservoir was having it go dry, but I guess that isn't going to happen with me not touching the pedal between emptying and filling. Thanks for the help here on the procedure!

Ok that was my worry with emptying the reservoir was having it go dry, but I guess that isn't going to happen with me not touching the pedal between emptying and filling. Thanks for the help here on the procedure!
No worries just leave a little fluid in the bottom of the reservoir each time. You probably won't be able to get all of the old out with the turkey baster anyways. In the beginning of the whole process a little mixing of old and new is unavoidable. By the time you're ready to do the brakes it will pretty much all be new fluid.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Regarding RBF 600, after it's been opened how long is a partial bottle good for?
Brake fluid attracts moisture when the bottle is open. Close the bottle immediately and you should be good. Brake fluid will attract more moisture while in the car than in the bottle assuming the bottle is closed.
You should change/cycle fluid each season. Bleed before your first event. Again after each weekend. I go through 1-2 liters a season.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
25 min. to 1½ hrs. from Sonoma (ugh... traffic!)
Brake fluid attracts moisture when the bottle is open. Close the bottle immediately and you should be good. You should change/cycle fluid each season. Bleed before your first event. I go through 1-2 liters a season.
I do a 2 liter flush every season and close up partial bottles immediately. Bleed every couple events too.
I have a half full bottle from about 6-8 months ago and am considering disposing of it, but don't want to unnecessarily...

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Snowy North
I've used 600 and 660 for years. 660 is harder to use - absorbs moisture easier than 600 - but both store relatively well if you snap that cap closed asap.

Another little trick is to keep the bottle in a baggie - suck the air out of the baggie and hit it with a bit of racers tape. Write the date that the bottle was opened on the baggie with a Sharpie.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Really depends on how your stored it. Brake fluid has such an affinity to moisture that if it sat out in the garage with lots of temperature changes , etc. I would just skip it and get a new bottle - imho.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
25 min. to 1½ hrs. from Sonoma (ugh... traffic!)
I've used 600 and 660 for years. 660 is harder to use - absorbs moisture easier than 600 - but both store relatively well if you snap that cap closed asap.

Another little trick is to keep the bottle in a baggie - suck the air out of the baggie and hit it with a bit of racers tape. Write the date that the bottle was opened on the baggie with a Sharpie.
1001 uses for a Foodsaver ;)

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel