The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Brake Flush

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dig-It

Kevin
VA
Less than a liter. I use two 500ml containers to flush the brake lines and refill the reservoir (above the min line - but not too close to max!) and always have a bit to spare.

I use up a whole 1L bottle for a flush, but I know I sometimes waste a little here and there... so I always make sure I have two bottles to ensure the job gets done.

buland

One of the rare Boss LS in Switzerland
i used last week 1 liter with refill the reservoir. and don't forget: each caliper in the front has 2 bleeder screws!

How do you plan on using the car?
If you're going to track it, definitely go with a DOT4 rated fluid. However, not all DOT4s are equal. Some have higher boiling points than others.

I use Castrol SRF, which has a pretty high wet boiling point (boiling point when fully saturated). I flush the system before the track season starts and then bleed it mid-season, which is about 3 track weekends.

Re: Brake Flushing

I'm not sure of exact capacities, but when I switched from Super Blue to SRF, it took about 2 quarts. Blue color was gone.

The next couple of bleeds or flushes produced more blue. So it might be a little more than 2 quarts, but Super Blue was also known for dyeing the lines and components alot. I think I was just getting residual dye over the next couple of uses of SRF.

F.D. Sako said:
How do you plan on using the car?
If you're going to track it, definitely go with a DOT4 rated fluid. However, not all DOT4s are equal. Some have higher boiling points than others.

I use Castrol SRF, which has a pretty high wet boiling point (boiling point when fully saturated). I flush the system before the track season starts and then bleed it mid-season, which is about 3 track weekends.

Mostly street driving for me with one or two track/lapping days a year. The car has seen two track days since I bought it in spring of 2014. Both times @ Mosport on the Grand Prix (long) track; I'd say a total of about 2 hrs on the track (15 -20mins sessions) to date. Would not consider it a very tough track on brakes. Was thinking I'll change the brake fluid out before my July 4 track date. Noticed in the Ford Boss 302 supplement they recommend their DOT4 super duty brake fluid and was considering using that.

Also going to have the brake pads inspected for wear. Aready picked up the stock replacements for the front.

I would consider upgrading at least the front pads for track use. Even if you're a less experienced driver these cars are heavy and will chew up pads. The Brembos make front pad swaps ridiculously easy, so you could just swap to better pads for your track events and then swap back. That's what I did for my first few days and it worked fine. It's cheap insurance.

TMO Supporting Vendors