The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Brake job

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I swapped out my factory pads and rotors for hawk HP plus pads and stop-tec slotted rotors. It was a success for the most part. But I have a question it anyone is listening out there. When I took out the brembo pads, they had metal shims on the back. I wasn't sure if I needed to put those on the HP pads or if they were for the brembo pads only. I assume if the pads needed shims, they would come with them since they are specific for the year and make of my car. Anyone?

cosm3os said:
The shims are there to make the pads quiet. You don't need them because NOTHING makes HP+ pads quiet!
This. ;D I switched to Pagid's and they work just as well and are quiet.

Tucson302 said:
Sorry for the dumb question Rick, but are the Pagid pads plug and play so to speak?
Yes. Contact Pete at Track Day Solutions and he'll set you up. They do dust a lot but that beats the hell out of swapping pads for the street and track. I'm running the 29's on the front and 56 on the rear.

http://www.trackdaysolutions.com/brake_compounds.html

Tucson 302

2013 Black LS #439
NFSBOSS said:
Yes. Contact Pete at Track Day Solutions and he'll set you up. They do dust a lot but that beats the hell out of swapping pads for the street and track. I'm running the 29's on the front and 56 on the rear.

Thank you sir!

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
NFSBOSS said:

+1

I run the same set up.

Pete had the pads to me in two days. Great service.

cosm3os said:
The shims are there to make the pads quiet. You don't need them because NOTHING makes HP+ pads quiet!

Put the shields in they are expensive to purchase.They are not to keep the brakes from making noise that is the job for the spring on the top. The sheilds are heat sheilds to prevent heat going back into the caliper piston. Please do your reaserch.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
jim woodruff said:
Put the shields in they are expensive to purchase.They are not to keep the brakes from making noise that is the job for the spring on the top. The sheilds are heat sheilds to prevent heat going back into the caliper piston. Please do your reaserch.
+1, Invenst in Hard Brakes titanium sheilds they really protect the rubber dust boots on the pistons which mean the seals, fluid, and pistons themselves are exposed to less heat from the pads. They are pretty cheap at about $50 I run XP 24 Carbotech pads up front which are rated to 2100 Degrees F and my rubbers are like new

steveespo said:
+1, Invenst in Hard Brakes titanium sheilds they really protect the rubber dust boots on the pistons which mean the seals, fluid, and pistons themselves are exposed to less heat from the pads. They are pretty cheap at about $50 I run XP 24 Carbotech pads up front which are rated to 2100 Degrees F and my rubbers are like new
+2 on the titanium heat shields

Thanks for the positive comments. I wasn't really sure what the shields were for, as I haven't seen anything mentioned about them while doing some looking around. I looked a lot into different pads and such before going with what I did. I wasn't sure if the shields were for the bremo pads of if they stay in the caliper.

Shaun12 said:
Thanks for the positive comments. I wasn't really sure what the shields were for, as I haven't seen anything mentioned about them while doing some looking around. I looked a lot into different pads and such before going with what I did. I wasn't sure if the shields were for the bremo pads of if they stay in the caliper.
Here's where you can get them: http://hardbrakes.com/

TMO Supporting Vendors