The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Brake kit ID and recs needed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Texas
Hey All,

So, PO had set up the car with Saleen 4-piston front brake calipers and had 14" 2 pc rotors as take offs from his rebuild. Rear brakes are stock. Car is a '14 Base GT. Meats are NT01s, 305/30s on 19s, all around.

Guys at Vorshlag said the calipers look to be a StopTech rebranded caliper and that G-Loc pads would work with them. I suspect they are correct, and I need to determine what pad compounds I'm going to run. They said R12/10 is the standard combo. I was thinking maybe R10/8, as I haven't had this car on track yet and will probably spend most of this set of tires and pads sorting it and not pushing super hard, but I don't want to use a street compound regardless.

The question I'm really stuck on is what rotors to start with. Should I try to reuse the hats on these 2 pc 14" that I got? I'd like to. The street set up is running a basic 1 pc slotted 14", but I don't really know the other dimensions.
1. How do I find replacement rotors for these hats if I'm unsure who the mfg of them was??
2. Otherwise, I need advice on what 14" 1 piece rotors to get.
Eventually I will ditch this set up for a 6-piston & 15", so I don't want to invest to heavily in the current set up.

If anyone recognizes this stuff, I'm all ears. TIA for any input.
Jim

20210304_183342.jpg

20210629_111434.jpg

20210629_111628.jpg

20210116_132556.jpg

20210304_183304_01.jpg

Last edited:

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
You may not "need" to upgrade to a six piston setup. Four piston setups with cooling ducts, pads, and fluids are usually more than capable of handling what you'll be throwing at it with S197s.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Texas
You may not "need" to upgrade to a six piston setup. Four piston setups with cooling ducts, pads, and fluids are usually more than capable of handling what you'll be throwing at it with S197s.
Eventually the goal is to run Hoosiers without putting her on a serious diet. We will see how my 3" ducts and proper compounds hold up, but it's in my plan.

Thinking I will probably just go with some 1 piece rotors for now. But I am not sure if these calipers and the StopTech adapter brackets have changed the offset. I suspect so, but have no idea how to measure it or what to check it against.

Utah
Eventually the goal is to run Hoosiers without putting her on a serious diet. We will see how my 3" ducts and proper compounds hold up, but it's in my plan.

Thinking I will probably just go with some 1 piece rotors for now. But I am not sure if these calipers and the StopTech adapter brackets have changed the offset. I suspect so, but have no idea how to measure it or what to check it against.
The Saleen 14" Calipers are actually made by Stoptech and are the ST40 model as noted above. . A typical pad size would be the Hawk HB141V.650 DTC50. This pad information should direct you for pad size and and can choose whichever track pad you prefer. The rear calipers on your Saleen are stock Mustang rear calipers and a typical rear pad size would be Hawk HB485V.656 DTC50. Use the Saleen 2 piece rotors and the rust will come off quickly. Replacement front two piece Rotors or just rotor rings can be found at Baer Brakes in Arizona for your Saleen.

Last edited:

Norm Peterson

Corner Barstool Sitter
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
a few miles east of Philly
Hey All,

So, PO had set up the car with Saleen 4-piston front brake calipers and had 14" 2 pc rotors as take offs from his rebuild. Rear brakes are stock. Car is a '14 Base GT. Meats are NT01s, 305/30s on 19s, all around.

Guys at Vorshlag said the calipers look to be a StopTech rebranded caliper and that G-Loc pads would work with them. I suspect they are correct, and I need to determine what pad compounds I'm going to run. They said R12/10 is the standard combo. I was thinking maybe R10/8, as I haven't had this car on track yet and will probably spend most of this set of tires and pads sorting it and not pushing super hard, but I don't want to use a street compound regardless.

The question I'm really stuck on is what rotors to start with. Should I try to reuse the hats on these 2 pc 14" that I got? I'd like to. The street set up is running a basic 1 pc slotted 14", but I don't really know the other dimensions.
1. How do I find replacement rotors for these hats if I'm unsure who the mfg of them was??
2. Otherwise, I need advice on what 14" 1 piece rotors to get.
Eventually I will ditch this set up for a 6-piston & 15", so I don't want to invest to heavily in the current set up.

If anyone recognizes this stuff, I'm all ears. TIA for any input.
Jim
I'd go with Voshlag's recommendation for pads. My less-powerful 4.6 could probably get away with the R10/R8 combination with the 14"/11.8" rotors.

Also, Hawk pads that aren't either of the HPS formulations tend to be very abrasive in street duty. In my experience, Carbotechs/G-locs up to XP12/R12 are still streetable as far as rotor wear rates are concerned (and much better than Hawk pads even in HP+) and temperature-tolerant down into the 30°s F, if perhaps with a little caution with the 12s at the lower temperatures when first driven. Dust and noise, you'll get with any track-rated pad.

Norm

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Texas
Great info...thanks! For the record, the car is not an actual Saleen, just the front brake kit. I'll try and source some Baer rings for these hats and hopefully they work. The rings are toast.

Edit: If this project ever takes on a life of its own, like it's supposed to, maybe my research skills will improve. Appreciate the guidance!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Texas
The Saleen 14" Calipers are actually made by Stoptech and are the ST40 model as noted above. . A typical pad size would be the Hawk HB141V.650 DTC50. This pad information should direct you for pad size and and can choose whichever track pad you prefer. The rear calipers on your Saleen are stock Mustang rear calipers and a typical rear pad size would be Hawk HB485V.656 DTC50. Use the Saleen 2 piece rotors and the rust will come off quickly. Replacement front two piece Rotors or just rotor rings can be found at Baer Brakes in Arizona for your Saleen.

So, after some convos with Baer and Stoptech, I did confirm Zajac was exactly right. Just wanted to post the info and part #'s I found in case anyone ever needs them for future reference. (like me, when I can't find my notes later). Appreciate the QUICK help everyone.
Jim

Link to ST40 replacement parts and diagram
https://centricparts.com/resources/...ptech-replacement-part-diagrams/st-40-diagram

Caliper specs and Pns below.

377.434.71B3RO Left Caliper ST40
377.434.71B4RO Right Caliper ST40
Piston sizes 36-42mm
Caliper width 32mm

Replacement Rings for the Hats (I didn't get the Pns for the Hats seperartely. But the whole set up is in the following link)
Rotor rings with hardware, these are for the slotted. There are several choices.
L = 31.737.1101.99
R = 31.737.1102.99
Slotted 355x32mm

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel