The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Brake noob. Stoptech or hawk?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ufnavy06

Some say he has a tattoo of his face on his face.
Lots of good ideas going around here. I just wish I had a place to work on the car myself when I'm exceptionally close to a great track. I need to talk to Pete about my needs as well.

Was narrowing it down to a set of slotted stop techs and a set if hawk blue pads but have been reading a lot about how to hawk blues leave a lot of dust that turns to basically cement if wet. Anyone used these?

OP: if you don't want to go all the way to Hawk DTC 70's you may want to to try 60's. I've used them in the past and they work prett well for track. They also seem to feel fine if switching from street pads (on same rotors) at the track as long as you stick with Hawk street pads (I've used HP Plus's and had zero chatter or other issues). Hawk also has a new pad for the track that might be good for dual purpose street / track - "Hawk HP Plus Autocross & Track". I have not tried them but they may be just what you are looking for.

Also, as others have mentioned, Carbotech's are excellent. IMO you cannot beat the performance, wear and rotor friendliness of the XP24's. 24's in the front with the XP12's in the rear is a excellent setup.

As someone else mentioned above, I also do not swap my rear pads very often...I run my track pads in the rear most of the time on the street.

Thanks everyone for the wise words. I ended up going with stoptech slotted rotors front and rear and a set of hawk HP plus a around. I also ordered goodridge brake lines all around and a stainless clutch line. This should keep me good for a while until I have some extra cash for smaller wheels and tires.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel