The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Brake pad combinations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So I'm getting ready to buy some brakes and I've got a question about pads.

I've heard a lot of good things about Carbotech here and through personal friends of mine as well. I want to run a track pad combination of some sort for a few events a year and then also have a set of street pads I can swap back to on the same rotors that will play nice with each other's compounds.

If you all have any recommendations, I'd be glad to hear them as usual.

FYI this is not a Boss car And does not have brake cooling ducts up front, if that makes a difference.

Thanks

I'm running Carbotech XP10 on the front and XP8 in the rear. Great combo, but I will probably step up to the XP12 on the front next time, which should be helpful on one the main track i run. I leave rears in for street driving, but swap the fronts to a 'street' friendly compound (HAWK HPS 5.0 at the moment) between events. Brembo's are super easy to swap.

I always swap brake fluid before an events too.

@barspen you don't have issues with xp8 in the back on the street? If that's the case I may go that route.

They are a bit 'squeaky' when cold, but nothing dramatic. Also, expect some extra dust on the wheels. No issue with stopping power on the street.

I've enjoyed cutting my pre- and post- track 'gear swap' down by keeping the rear pads in service full time.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Big fan of pagid RS29's for street and track, stop great (hot or cold) and last for ever. But can be noisy. For the rear pagid rs56 or what ever I have left over in the parts bin!! NOTE:!! If you track the car with out traction control, your rear brake consumption goes down dramatically (but do not do it till your good and ready!!)

drano38

Wayne
I run Carbotech XP8 on street and track--work great.
I tried several Carbs on the front - XP10, XP12, RP2. Don't know why but I got pad transfer deposits onto the rotors--and they're a gentle compound, so won't clean it off. I bedded them, but maybe I didn't do it right.
If you like Carbotech/G-Loc, they make a street compound too.

I switched to Performance Friction Compound, and like them. I run either PFC01 or PFC08 on track, and their Z-rated street pad. Swap pads, use same rotors.

We need to find pads that work best for us. So take our inputs and try something. If you don't like them, try another. Lots of great choices out there.

@barspen you don't have issues with xp8 in the back on the street? If that's the case I may go that route.

I street drive mine on G-Loc R12's front and rear (same as Carbotech XP12) during track season because I'm too lazy to swap them (it's not my daily). They make some noise, but I've had no issues. You should be fine running XP8's on the street.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel