The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Brake Pad Recommendations/Stabilitrac

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Maryland
So I just got done my first track day with my 2013 Boss 302. It has a mostly stock brake set up and the factory pads started to fade after 4-5 laps and I completely lost braking confidence. I also ran into the issue of the stability control (after I got some heat in the tires) kept grabbing the brakes on hard turns even when using the track key. As I’m a novice I don’t want to turn off the stability control entirely, but does anyone have any recommendations on how to improve this condition. I was told to run GLOC track pads or the HAWK DT60s in front. What do you guys usually use in the rear in conjunction front track pads, especially with these live axle cars? I know it’s been moderately covered in other discussions but I’m interested to hear what everyone else runs (especially what and if in the rear) and what everyone’s opinions are. Thanks for everyone’s help in advance.

F084B85F-0ECE-48EF-8316-65E8C7BF8931.jpeg

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Gloc or similar pads will help. Also consider brake cooling. Without brake ducts expect the problems to return as you become more experienced.
Switching advance trak off only lasts for a short time. The system will restart. The only way I know around this is to swap the stock ABS controller for the 302R/S unit.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Maryland
Gloc or similar pads will help. Also consider brake cooling. Without brake ducts expect the problems to return as you become more experienced.
Switching advance trak off only lasts for a short time. The system will restart. The only way I know around this is to swap the stock ABS controller for the 302R/S unit.
I guess I forgot to mention that it does have Vorshlag brake duct cooling kit up front with 3 inch hosing. Has anyone used the Boss 302R/S module and does that entirely eliminate stability control I would imagine?

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
You can get a track tune from AED that will completely turn off the nannies... But the lights come on just as in the ABS module.

Grey1988.....that looks like Summit Point Shenandoah if I'm not mistaken. So I always like to reminisce about the days when my car looked like yours and I did my first track day. I came back with similar complaints and it all went to hell from there lol!

Like you, I needed better braking and control over what the car did. Upgrading pads and cooling it appears you are covering. I'm not going to cover what brand and what compounds as that is so subjective and everyone will have recommendations. I have no experience with G-Loc products. I'll only recommend a good track compound for the rear as that will help keep it from lifting and unweighting as much. It's always a compromise when you have to run a street/track compound too. Ideally, the best option is upgrading to a 6-piston caliper take-off set.....not terribly expensive and your confidence goes way up.

The other change that made the biggest difference was the ABS module as mentioned. Yes, it lights up your dash so if appearance is still a priority to you then you may not like it but your braking stability and confidence again goes way way up. I hated the stability control stepping in and it killed my lap times. Being able to brake late and hard without ABS stepping in then using the accelerator and steering wheel to corner are the foundations for having confidence in your car and going faster......without really breaking the bank.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Maryland
Grey1988.....that looks like Summit Point Shenandoah if I'm not mistaken. So I always like to reminisce about the days when my car looked like yours and I did my first track day. I came back with similar complaints and it all went to hell from there lol!

Like you, I needed better braking and control over what the car did. Upgrading pads and cooling it appears you are covering. I'm not going to cover what brand and what compounds as that is so subjective and everyone will have recommendations. I have no experience with G-Loc products. I'll only recommend a good track compound for the rear as that will help keep it from lifting and unweighting as much. It's always a compromise when you have to run a street/track compound too. Ideally, the best option is upgrading to a 6-piston caliper take-off set.....not terribly expensive and your confidence goes way up.

The other change that made the biggest difference was the ABS module as mentioned. Yes, it lights up your dash so if appearance is still a priority to you then you may not like it but your braking stability and confidence again goes way way up. I hated the stability control stepping in and it killed my lap times. Being able to brake late and hard without ABS stepping in then using the accelerator and steering wheel to corner are the foundations for having confidence in your car and going faster......without really breaking the bank.
Thanks for the recommendations. It was indeed Shenandoah, I figured it had a lot to do with the downhills when trying to get the car to rotate around turn 18. I ordered a set of Hawk DTC-60 brake pads for the front and rear that I am going to run when I go to Summit Point’s Main circuit at the end of April and hopefully that flatter track may eliminate some of the stability control stepping in. I drive the car a lot on the street and and it takes occasional long road trips so that’s the main reason I don’t want go to the 302R ABS module. I was told that I should also switch to a better race spec brake fluid and they may help some. I will see what happens with all of these changes. Thanks for all the help guys

Did you try putting it in track mode, Hold brake pedal, quick "double tap" on the button, It switches it to a more forgiving mode and even though the light in dash will come on its not turned off completely That's how it works on my 12 so I'm guessing the 13's are the same

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Maryland
Yeah
Did you try putting it in track mode, Hold brake pedal, quick "double tap" on the button, It switches it to a more forgiving mode and even though the light in dash will come on its not turned off completely That's how it works on my 12 so I'm guessing the 13's are the same
Yes, I did all that and it’s still intervening heavily. I’ve found now after another track session that everything just has to be turned off completely. You have to hold the TCS button for about 10 secs and it deactivates EVERYTHING.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel