The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Brake Pads for GT350

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Save yourself some time on your GT 350 and get a set of G-Locs ! Optimum Performance ( Sponsor on your right sidebar) sells them and he can over what pad would work best for you based on your driving needs and level. With all your experience Road Racing , I would probably suggest what I had on mine ( 18s in the front , 10s in the rear ) , as this is their most aggressive front pad, and most A1 drivers are just that -- aggressive ,ha,ha!

Last edited:
Hey guys, I've raced (not HPDE, but actual wheel-wheel racing in AI) with Hawk pads for about 10 years on my 3300 lb (ballasted up) 96 Mustang. It has Stoptech 4-piston w/ 2-pc rotors front and stock rear brakes.

I plan to run 6-10 track events per year. I have just 4000 miles on my GT350 so far. I've done 3 track days with moderate seat time (instructing). I plan to swap pads and wheels/tires for track weekends. Likely running stock stuff on the street and then Apex 19x11 & R888s and a race-type pad on the track.

Is anyone running Hawk pads? I saw just one mention of DTC70 in this thread. I don't know the other compounds mentioned without googling them all to know who makes which. Once I found a setup I liked, I stuck with it and had no need to shop around.

thanks!

I ran Hawk pads on S197s for years. I went from HT-10s to DTC 70/60. I’ve also tried some others too. For me, the HT-10 wasn’t aggressive enough and the DT70 or 60 had too much bite. I experimented with different combinations for years.

I tried the Raybestos ST43 on a friend’s recommendation about five years ago. I’ve never bought anything else since. When I got my 350 I went through OEM pads in two track days, so I ended up getting the first pair of 43s for the 350 caliper shortly thereafter. I also use the ST43s on my endurance race car. For me they are the perfect level of bite and they modulate well. I have never overheated them and they don’t get chalky or crumble. When I tell you they last FOREVER, I am not joking. These pads last at least twice as long as any Hawk pads I’ve run. And, despite what others have said, they bed fine on used rotors. Bed them with 5 hard stops from 60-10 without getting into abs, and follow that up with 5 hard stops from 80-25 with no abs. Then go park it overnight.

I don’t DD my car and I don’t swap these pads. They bite at ambient temp. They can get noisy after they wear, but I cryo’d my current rotors and this set has never made noise.

I was never content with pads. I always felt like there had to be a better option. Since I got my first pair of these I have never thought twice about what pad to get. I realize pads are like shoes and the best shoe in the world won’t fit everyone. These are perfect for me...take it for what it’s worth.

Just trying to help. I’m typically pretty quiet on the forums, but I know the struggle in trying to find the right pad.

Hey guys, wondering if someone could give me some advice...

This past year, I went to a few (6) SCCA Track Night in America events at my local track. I'm looking to see if I should upgrade the stock pads, or go with something more aggressive. In 2019, I plan on doing some Chin Motorsports track days at Mid Ohio and possibly even Watkins Glen, along with other the Chin events at my local track, PittRace. So far I've only had the GT350 out at PittRace, (135MPH max speed) and had absolutely no issue with the stock pads. I was still planning on using the Michelin PSS that came from factory. I really like the balance between street and track performance that the PSS have. I have heard others say that for the faster tracks, that you need to upgrade the pads, but will the upgraded pads be too much for the PSS tires? Should I upgrade the pads and the tires? I bought the car initially thinking that I was only going to track it occasionally, but I found going to the track to be quite addicting. I'd say that 60% of the time, the car is driven on the street (this includes driving to the racetracks). What do you guys think?

Monaca Pa
18 GT350 I did most of the track nights at Pitt Race. I run advanced class. I used stock pads for 2 years with no problems then at end of the year I put hawk street/race pads on. This is on my 2016 GT.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Definitely upgrade the pads, but likely even more important, upgrade your brake fluid and change it frequently. As you go faster , as well as going to faster tracks, the stock pads will become inefficient ( imho ) , and frankly if you are getting addicted the best things to do to go faster are tires and pads ( with better fluid ).

The problem one always has with these types of generic questions, is one can never gauge exactly how someone else drives or when they will need to upgrade, so the best advice I always give folks excited about track time, is get better pads/fluid. I have never made it through a season without going through two or more sets of pads, and I don't generally get it more 3-5 weekends per year.

Remember with speed , consumables get used up faster ..........faster speed , faster wear. When students start seeing bigger improvements I tell them they should start checking their components much more often, and many get surprised that fluids are darker, pads are more worn, rotors start showing little crack lines, etc.

The Michelins are fine, and when you get even more serious, get a set of Apex rims noted often on this Forum, and mount a set of sticky tires on them - Hoosier R7s for instance. Tire Rack sells a nice set of tire covers ( again , note them on the sidebar and order through the Forum) , and three tires fit fine in the back seat with one in the trunk. Still room in the GT 350 for jack, jack stands , tools and clothes ----- now go have fun!!!!

Definitely upgrade the pads, but likely even more important, upgrade your brake fluid and change it frequently. As you go faster , as well as going to faster tracks, the stock pads will become inefficient ( imho ) , and frankly if you are getting addicted the best things to do to go faster are tires and pads ( with better fluid ).

The problem one always has with these types of generic questions, is one can never gauge exactly how someone else drives or when they will need to upgrade, so the best advice I always give folks excited about track time, is get better pads/fluid. I have never made it through a season without going through two or more sets of pads, and I don't generally get it more 3-5 weekends per year.

Remember with speed , consumables get used up faster ..........faster speed , faster wear. When students start seeing bigger improvements I tell them they should start checking their components much more often, and many get surprised that fluids are darker, pads are more worn, rotors start showing little crack lines, etc.

The Michelins are fine, and when you get even more serious, get a set of Apex rims noted often on this Forum, and mount a set of sticky tires on them - Hoosier R7s for instance. Tire Rack sells a nice set of tire covers ( again , note them on the sidebar and order through the Forum) , and three tires fit fine in the back seat with one in the trunk. Still room in the GT 350 for jack, jack stands , tools and clothes ----- now go have fun!!!!

How do you fit three in your back seat? With the seats in place or seat delete?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Was running 295 Hoosiers , which are about as wide as many 305s. Can you just fill up at a station near the track , or at the track ---- personally I would not be comfortable hauling around any fuel in my car , but that is just me!

Was running 295 Hoosiers , which are about as wide as many 305s. Can you just fill up at a station near the track , or at the track ---- personally I would not be comfortable hauling around any fuel in my car , but that is just me!

Oh I get fuel in town near the track. I just can’t drive down the street on R7s. At the track I can get fuel. Not E85 though. I would need to run my 93 or 100 octane tune instead. It’s about 5 miles into town from the track. Not sure about driving the R7s there

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Heck I used to drive down 40 miles from my house on my R7s ( Viper ) , run some sessions and drive home, so I think 5 miles to the station would be fine. My son runs E85 and I understand that hassle, though he just Autocrosses his EVO9.

I would run a 93 tune and drive back and forth , but totally up to you ------- though I know over the years I always had a few buddies at the track and would borrow their truck to run in and get fuel ( one guy even brought my gas cans). Beer works wonders for that kind of situation, ha. No issues , now, since I trailer to the track, but there are plenty of folks who still drive there and back.

Heck I used to drive down 40 miles from my house on my R7s ( Viper ) , run some sessions and drive home, so I think 5 miles to the station would be fine. My son runs E85 and I understand that hassle, though he just Autocrosses his EVO9.

I would run a 93 tune and drive back and forth , but totally up to you ------- though I know over the years I always had a few buddies at the track and would borrow their truck to run in and get fuel ( one guy even brought my gas cans). Beer works wonders for that kind of situation, ha. No issues , now, since I trailer to the track, but there are plenty of folks who still drive there and back.

Thanks for the feedback. Sorry to hijack the braking post. I think I’ll give driving into town a shot for fuel, especially if I run the E85. It’s the best bang for the buck and great for protection against detonation. But a cooler too. I can carry one can shotgun with me in the passenger seat too.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Aw, heck, no worries about such a minor hijack, we are quite friendly folks here at TMO, so questions are always welcome and your polite comment is well taken and appreciated. Have a wonderful New Year and you may continue to hijack in the same vein in 2019.

Aw, heck, no worries about such a minor hijack, we are quite friendly folks here at TMO, so questions are always welcome and your polite comment is well taken and appreciated. Have a wonderful New Year and you may continue to hijack in the same vein in 2019.

Thanks and you as well. May 2019 bring in lower lap times and along with it increased brake and tire wear for all:)

Hey guys, wondering if someone could give me some advice...

This past year, I went to a few (6) SCCA Track Night in America events at my local track. I'm looking to see if I should upgrade the stock pads, or go with something more aggressive. In 2019, I plan on doing some Chin Motorsports track days at Mid Ohio and possibly even Watkins Glen, along with other the Chin events at my local track, PittRace. So far I've only had the GT350 out at PittRace, (135MPH max speed) and had absolutely no issue with the stock pads. I was still planning on using the Michelin PSS that came from factory. I really like the balance between street and track performance that the PSS have. I have heard others say that for the faster tracks, that you need to upgrade the pads, but will the upgraded pads be too much for the PSS tires? Should I upgrade the pads and the tires? I bought the car initially thinking that I was only going to track it occasionally, but I found going to the track to be quite addicting. I'd say that 60% of the time, the car is driven on the street (this includes driving to the racetracks). What do you guys think?

You don't need to upgrade your tires when you upgrade your pads. Stock pads on the GT350 are quite good. I predict you'll be fine on stock pads until they're gone. Then, I'd upgrade for track work, use something like the stock pads for street driving and a Ferodo DSUNO or DS1.11 for track as they're compatible on the same disc.

I'm sticking with the MPSS next year also, I have some specific goals I want to meet with the car 100% stock and then with camber added, so until I hit those, they stay. I'll probably grab a set of Apex 19x11 square and some NT01s after that.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
If you are going to MidOhio and possibly Watkins Glen you will hit some major speeds and I still suggest playing it safe with Motul 600 or SRF and race pads. If you think you can get by with the stock pads ,have a set of race pads along , just in case. I know with my braking style I would not go to Watkins Glen on stock pads going into turn 1, or head down the back straight at Mid Ohio hoping to get slowed from 145+ and avoiding China Beach without race fluid and pads. Just my personal opinion, but I just think it is a safety situation at fast tracks. Chat with Optimum Performance and if you get a set of G Force I would make sure you get them pre-bedded. I am just cautious, as we often give folks advice on Forums , without really knowing their capabilities or speed, let alone their braking techniques, hence I err with a more prepared machine.

Last edited:
Update.. My stock pads are gone. I completed a SCCA Time trials event over the weekend, but just barely. I did however get my best time ever at PittRace (1.59.327 :)) I will definitely need new pads before heading to any track. My driving ability and speed have increased substantially since my initial post, so I know that I will need some kind of race pad. I do not often drive my car on the street, but I do drive it to and from the race track if it's close. I have heard others mentioning that it is possible to get too much pad for the tire, which I definitely don't want. Looking for advice for which one of the race pads to get, and which compounds to get front/rear. Any recommendations for which brand and compound to get front/rear while still using the Michelin Pilot Super Sports?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
I have a 2014 Mustang GT with 4-piston Brembos (with cooling ducts) and I have great success with these pads:

https://www.powerstop.com/product/t...D&mo=MUSTANG&ss=Shelby GT350; Shelby GT350R;

These are the pads for your GT350
https://www.powerstop.com/product/t...D&mo=MUSTANG&ss=Shelby GT350; Shelby GT350R;

The only downside is they are dusty as hell and if you run in the rain, the combo of water and heat results in concrete-like deposits on the wheels. Better have them coated.

The pads are about 1/2 the price of GLOCS or CarboTech. I run their Ceramic-Metallic Z26 pads on the street and the pad compounds are compatible with each other.

TMO Supporting Vendors